BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Traffic Chaos

I left work in Shipley (near Bradford) at about 4.10pm. Got stuck in tea-time traffic in Shipley/Keighley and then stopped off at home in Colne to get changed, have something to eat and pick up the football kit for later on. Then went via my brothers in Nelson as we were travelling together.

We arrived at Ewood at 5.55pm - ten minutes before kickoff.

The soloution Uddersfelt - drive faster in the places that you can, in order to counterbalance the places that you can't! :P

I left Solihull at 2.40 - I coudn't physically leave any earlier. It was a bonus leaving when I did.

We thought that almost 3 and a half hour would be fine - it normally takes 2 hours. We made it just as the teams were running out.

It was a mixture of M6 being packed - same old story and then we hit the M65 which was packed again. We were being thick when we drove along the M65 as it directed you to come off at junction 3 - as we always come off at 4 we didnt really acknowledge the sign and when we got past junction 3 we had a clear run.

Traffic at that time is part and parcel of it all - if I could have left earlier I would have done but I couldn't but I certainly couldnt blame rovers for the traffic.

I left Solihull at 2.40 - I coudn't physically leave any earlier. It was a bonus leaving when I did.

We thought that almost 3 and a half hour would be fine - it normally takes 2 hours. We made it just as the teams were running out.

It was a mixture of M6 being packed - same old story and then we hit the M65 which was packed again. We were being thick when we drove along the M65 as it directed you to come off at junction 3 - as we always come off at 4 we didnt really acknowledge the sign and when we got past junction 3 we had a clear run.

Traffic at that time is part and parcel of it all - if I could have left earlier I would have done but I couldn't but I certainly couldnt blame rovers for the traffic.

Aha gotcha! You told me you had an urgent hospital appointment! Speak to you later.

The Head.

I'm not ungrateful. I want to watch MY team play without having to be seriously inconvenienced. Quite happy to pay a fair rate to do so. Let's see how many of the 25000 will be at Sunday's match, cock.

No doubt you live around the corner from the ground. Think about some of those who don't before you start telling people to go and watch another team.

BTW I expressed my view about these arrangements as soon as they were announced.

I too live a fair way away and surely you must realise, as I do and many other rovers fans who travel a long distance to be there, that for every game there's a risk you'll get caught up in traffic because of an accident, roadworks, etc. I was lucky on Thursday that I was able to take the afternoon off so I left home at 1, went to the Duke of Wellington on the Grane for a bite to eat and made a leisurely trip down to Ewood at about 4.30, but on other occasions I have missed the start of matches due to being stuck in traffic on the way to the ground. I missed about 20 minutes of a game with City a few years back, 3pm Saturday KO, (although as it finished 0-0 it was probably a blessing in disguise) and missed the first 15 minutes of the game at Fratton park at the beginning of the season, despite leaving home at 9am, because I seemed to hit every queue imaginable on every MWay I travelled on.

However, I didn't ###### and moan about it, I accepted that it is part and parcel of driving anywhere nowwadays that you run the risk of some inconsiderate b'stard smashing up their car and thus severly delaying your journey. ;)

Set off 10.00am. £24 return to Glasgow, beers before the game and even more drinking time afterwards. A cracking edge of your seat Euro tie. Only the result stopped it from being a perfect day.

Hats of to Rovers

£24 from Glasgow!! How did you manage that? I have a senior railcard and it costs me at least £47 from Inverkeithing; and that's only when there are special offers available, and I have to book far enough in advance. At that rate I would be better travelling to Glasgow on the bus for free and getting the train from Glasgow Central.

£24 from Glasgow!! How did you manage that? I have a senior railcard and it costs me at least £47 from Inverkeithing; and that's only when there are special offers available, and I have to book far enough in advance. At that rate I would be better travelling to Glasgow on the bus for free and getting the train from Glasgow Central.

It probably is. The rail pricing system in this country is bizarre to say the least.

Going to Charlton Away in the League cup last season is the best example

Leyland to London - changing at Manchester - £90 return on one ticket

or

Leyland to Manchester £11.90 return

Manchester to London £10 each way

So - I buy one ticket - it costs me almost three times as much as if I buy three.

I suspect that there are plenty of tickets from Glasgow to Manchester or Glasgow to Preston available on the "Virgin Value" returns, or singles. Add in a few quid for the return to Blackburn from wherever and you're laughing.

Certainly if you book from Glasgow to Preston you should get a cheaper deal. Routine returns are £29.50 and you can first class with free sandwiches and coffee for £42, as long as you travel on the cross country trains rather than the West Coast trains, which is no hardship.

When we played Everton a few weeks ago I was at a works evening with the RBS in Glasgow. I managed to get a train ticket with Virgin for £8, Glasgow Central to Wigan.

Nightmare getting to the game today - Driving down the A59 and they decided to close the road and send me on a detour via Otley and Ilkley. Made to Ewood for 14:55 when I should have been there for 13:00 - Bloody Rovers!!

Going to the Tony Parkes testimonial a couple of summers back, cheapest daytime ticket on Virgin was 70 quid or so (London - Preston).

Took the Scotrail sleeper the night before from London to Inverness (Bargain Berth - £19) and the single from Inverness to Preston was around £15 - arrived mid afternoon. So it was half the price to travel from London to Preston via Inverness.

To be fair to Virgin Trains, these days the cheap fares seem to be available most of the time. It's worth trying alternative stations if you can't find a good price for what you need (eg try Lancaster or Oxenholme as the destination instead of Preston if going north, or Wigan going south).

For the weekend just gone, I paid £33 return London - Blackburn, travelling up Thurs afternoon and back after the Pompey game last night.

Archived