BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cult Heroes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried to field a cult XI - an awesome line up!! They might not win every game but you would know you'd played them afterwards. 100% commitment at all times, don't you just love it? You can even forgive some significant shortcomings if the attitude is right:

Friedel - any man with hands that big is a cult

Kev Moran - anyone remember the three defenders, goalie and ball he put in the net in the away leg of the '92 play-off at Derby? THEY WILL NOT PASS!!!

Colin Hendry - "Colin, show us your ar5e, Colin, Colin show us your ar5e" Oh, and the one-man defence for 88 minutes against Everton at Goodison in the title year

Kevin Hird - a legend in his own underpants

Jim Branagan - the only man to out sunbed Andy Kennedy, hence his place in this line-up. Also, how many wingers got past him (twice)?

Mark Atkins - or "Marco Van Atko" as he was known around our enclave of Ewood - as fatigue set in around him, Super Atko simply stepped up a gear

Robbie Savage - a better player than he is given credit for who allows Tugay to play his game - what happened to big club after he left? Oh, yes they sank without much trace.

Tugay - our very own Turkish delight and a matchwinner with the telling pass facilitated by messianic vision

Scott Sellars - "Scotty beam us up, Scotty Scotty beam us up" - there has to be one sick note in the cult team

David Speedie - never has such a little man had such a big impact in such a short time. In short (no pun intended), a God

Simon Garner - brought to you in association with Thwaites and Silk Cut - the best at his job outside the top league for many years

And just look at some I've missed:

Tim "the pimp" Sherwood

The one and only Ken Beamish - even now he can be devastatingly @#/? at what he does and then equally brilliant - it's in the genes, Ken!

Ian "Windy" Miller - the fastest we have ever had?

Don Martin - the slowest/laziest we ever had? My first hero

John Byrom - cancel the Don Martin jibe, Mr. Byrom wins that hands down - the babyliner to beat them all.

Duncan McKenzie - wearing a blue and white shirt, who'd have thought in those days?

Ossie Ardiles - see McKenzie

Steve Archibald - see McKenzie

definitely not advocating him for this as personally thought he was pap, but as we are talking about old players...

I was at the stafford rangers Vs kiddeminster game on boxing day and who was on the post but the leprechaun Jeff Kenna

after we realised we shouted his name, and he turned round looking generally scared, and then gave us the thumbs up after he realised that we didnt want his blood!

an amusing episode for me personally

Names flood out in this thread: Kevin Arnott, Mark Grew, Marshall Burke, Micky Speight, Jim Arnold, Mike Rathbone, Tony Finnegan (nowaday Reo-Cockers agent, I believe), Ronnie Hildersley (Rovers shortest ever player?), Keith Hill.....

But for me, I think Noel Brotherston needs a mention here.

As a kid I loved watching him running up and down the wings with his bald head and shroud of curly hair.

Son of a bitch turned into a party pooper for me when he went and died just before we won the premiership. But why wouldn't he die - he was after all at, what seemed to me then, the impossibly old age of 38.

Guess what freaking age I've just turned.

Let's not wish that on him for a long time yet. You can only be a legend after you are gone.

News to me Fife? You can be a legend in either current or past era.

- - - - -

I'm just a gutted that I wasn't about to see Noel Brotherston, Eddie Crossan or Deadly Doog play for Rovers for obvious reasons. I've heard plenty of stories about these players and would loved to have seen them donn the 'Blue & White' halves.

From my era I would have to place Alan Shearer, Big Colin Hendry and without a shadow of a doubt Big Brad. These three players gave their all for the club and unfortunately two of those wanted to move for pastures new and the club never denied them that. However, as Lu-cash found out the grass isn't always greener on the other side and I think Al and Col would agree.

As for Brad, he's one of the best goalkeepers in the world, if not the best. His performances for Rovers have been unreal and to him we have to thank him for keeping us in the Premiership and also for his performance in the Millennium stadium back in 2002. LEGEND..... end of.

Names flood out in this thread: Kevin Arnott, Mark Grew, Marshall Burke, Micky Speight, Jim Arnold, Mike Rathbone, Tony Finnegan (nowaday Reo-Cockers agent, I believe), Ronnie Hildersley (Rovers shortest ever player?), Keith Hill.....

But for me, I think Noel Brotherston needs a mention here.

As a kid I loved watching him running up and down the wings with his bald head and shroud of curly hair.

Son of a bitch turned into a party pooper for me when he went and died just before we won the premiership. But why wouldn't he die - he was after all at, what seemed to me then, the impossibly old age of 38.

Guess what freaking age I've just turned.

Ronnie hildersley our shortest player, did you never see Joe Haverty ? he only came up to Bryan Douglas's shoulders !

People will see different players as being cult heroes.

does anyone recall John Kenyon ? A Mill Hill legend who lived on Hereford St ? He was a cracking player. Brotherstone was pure class and I think he befits a higher status in LEGEND. Other cult hereos could include Colin Randall - I have his shirt this day - simon barker, alan ainscow, paul round, gordon taylor, david wagstaffe, bobby mitchell, hairdo kennedy, andy crawford - can any one else recall his goal scoring run ? - chris price, butcher.

The list is endless

At a time when nothing was going right for the club, apart from just avoiding getting relegated to Div 4,

"Tony Field,

Super Star,

How many goals have you scored so far?"

And the centre half who could not train, whose legs had gone, was old and was brilliant for us. John MacNamee.

you obviously never went to Oldham when the fixtures got reveresed cause of the snow then did you ?

:brfc:

Yup was there. Must have been to that place 7 or 8 times and this is the only time I can recall us winning. Kev Stonehouse scored in this game as well and he doesn't merit legendary status.

A couple of years ago my brother was sat watching Rovers Youths at Ewood with his 2 young sons. When Bell's son got the ball our kid was telling his sons what a donkey his dad was. Unbeknown to him Big Norm was sat right in front and heard everything.

For me there are a number of the current first team squad who are already cult heros and a few who have potential to be in the future;

Already: Friedal, Tugay, Nelsen, Savage

Potential: Warnock (that tackle on Anelka)

Dunn (he's arguably already a hero)

Derbyshire

Samba (the big man is already a legend in some peoples' eyes)

Archived