BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Arsenal go out, in one of the most 1 sided games i have seen in a while, so unlucky.

Have to disagree there. Arsenal were full of pretty tippy tappy stuff but seemed determined not to shoot on goal unless they could elegantly pass it in from a yard.

Nowhere near direct enough near goal.

Henry came on with 25 mins to go and lasted about 4 mins before suffering another injury. Can't see him still being there next season.

Elsewhere Milan are now 1-0 up against Celtic in the first period of extra time. What a shame for jan. (not)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the fracas started with Marchena hacking down Burdisso, who responded angrily (possibly a punch?) - then Navarro ran out to break Burdisso's nose. He shouldn't be allowed to play football for a while, hey; he loses the plot even when he's not playing. Blaming Italian football is wrong, even though the players obviously should've sat a better example than what the videoes show. Regardless, Navarro might not have started the whole thing, but he certainly raised the stakes with his ridiculous punch-and-run.

Both clubs should be punished severely, but Italian football as a whole isn't the problem in this particular case.

As for the "if this happened in England" theory, it's getting old.

Back to the football part of it, these teams are qualified for the quarterfinals (draw on Friday):

Liverpool

Roma

Chelsea

Valencia

Man Utd

Bayern M

PSV Eindhoven

Milan (three minutes left, but Milan has a better defence than Inverness)

I would love Roma to win this, but as I said earlier, I highly doubt it. They do have impact players like Wilhelmsson on the bench, but elsewhere their team is very vulnerable to injuries- they use their Primavera players as squad players mostly. When they get their game flowing, there's very few teams that will match them - but this will get harder in the next rounds. They're also totally dependant of Totti and Mancini keeping their composure and temper in check, both players will show their best side against non-British opponents methink - so bring on Milan or Valencia please. I think Taddei will prove to be a key player aswell, if Roma goes much further I wouldn't be surprised to see him score the winning goal.

The British teams seriously look dangerous, especially Liverpool (for some reason I believe in them - if their strikers can start scoring).

PSV doesn't look capable of winning three more matches against top class opposition to be honest, and it would surprise me if Valencia went further than the semi's. That Bayern side will always be a threat, with two great fullbacks and the very solid pairing of van Buyten and Lucio at the back - and plenty of firepower upfront (Podolski and Pizarro my personale favourites, Makaay is too lazy..)

I honestly think this is Milan's year, even though they have struggled to get through.

Have to disagree there. Arsenal were full of pretty tippy tappy stuff but seemed determined not to shoot on goal unless they could elegantly pass it in from a yard.

Nowhere near direct enough near goal.

Aye ; they try to score the perfect goal all the time .

With the equivalent of a Shearer in the team they'd have won that game by 3 or 4 goals .

I'm just glad Man U and Chelski are through. Maybe they'll be too busy fighting for the premiership and Champions League to notice that little thing called the FA Cup.

Yes I know i'm being far too hopeful. :)

Please could you refresh my memory as to how the brawl started? Ta.

For those that havent seen it - click

I was impressed with the coverage they showed - even in the tunnel.

ITV's coverage was shocking.

"Hi, welcome to the champions league game between Liverpool and Barca - more after this break"

"Welcome back, now over to Robbie Earl by the pitch"

Robbie Earl comes on - "LOOK, ITS THE KOP AND THERE ARE ALSO FANS - WOW"

"Thanks Robbie, now a quick break" - PATHETIC

Did anyone see the Celtic match last night? After the game, Neil Lennon took his shirt off and his belly was hanging over his shorts - I am not exadurating either. Ruud Gullit just sat there absolutly wetting himself for about 5 minutes.

Also, did anyone actually count how many times Souey said "Speacial Player"?

I've consistently said there are some footballers who don't look good in football shirts. Neil Lennon is one of them (but oh my god how much worse he looks without it) and Hartson the other. Both fond of their food, I'd surmise!

The Valencia brawl should result in serious bans for a few. My favourite was the bit with two players trying to hack down the sub who was running off the pitch. They both caught him pretty well and he carried on running. You can guarantee that if it happened during the course of the game he'd be rolling around like a man on fire. This should be replayed every time some idiot goes down like he's been shot. Swines.

I called the Real result, they nearly got the equalizer though. What would have happened if the game was in the Bernabeu?

It seems to me that every team around has figured out how to play against Arsenal; sit deep and close down the space in the channels. They have no idea how to shoot from 20 yards so they'll pass themselves to death, then concede one from a set piece as they can't head the ball.

Man U weren't impressive, and got lucky on occasions before Larsson scored.

The draw is tomorrow. I reckon that UEFA have already put the Liverpool and Chelsea balls in the microwave, just to make sure that they don't lose them and have to rush around before it starts.

I hope someone other than Chelski, Utd or Liverfool win, be nice if someone different like a PSV or Roma won for a change.

Let's be honest, Chelski sold out years ago and are now owned by a Russian billionaire with a team full of mercenary rent boys, and both United & Liverfool have sold out to the yanks, the only British element remaining is the name !

I hope they all fall at the next hurdle TBH, then they may show some respect to domestic matters instead of seeing them as minor distractions.

Was funny see the gunners going out on their Arses though... Wengers face ? Priceless !

Bayern Munich. Was very impressed with Germany in the World Cup. Some of Germanys main players were Lahm, Podolski and Swcheinsteiger (ignore the spelling) and they are playing well for Bayern. Thats why!

:wstu:

The Valencia brawl should result in serious bans for a few. My favourite was the bit with two players trying to hack down the sub who was running off the pitch. They both caught him pretty well and he carried on running. You can guarantee that if it happened during the course of the game he'd be rolling around like a man on fire. This should be replayed every time some idiot goes down like he's been shot. Swines.

Speeeeeedie:

Nico Burdisso is a prat, admittedly... but Navarro (the track suited one) really comes off looking horrible. You are spot on here, part of me wishes that Toldo & Cambiasso had been successful in seeking him out in the bootroom. Something tells me that Navarro had probably locked himself in the WC. <_< What a big girls' blouse

Did anyone see the Celtic match last night? After the game, Neil Lennon took his shirt off and his belly was hanging over his shorts - I am not exadurating either. Ruud Gullit just sat there absolutly wetting himself for about 5 minutes.

Never quoted myself before but this is what I was talking about yesterday - watch Ruud Gulit at the end :rolleyes:

Click

Regarding todays draw - one thing is nailed on.

The UEFA suits won't want to risk having 3 English teams in the last 4, so two of Chelsea / Man Utd / Liverpool will meet each other in the quarter finals for sure.

Regarding todays draw - one thing is nailed on.

The UEFA suits won't want to risk having 3 English teams in the last 4, so two of Chelsea / Man Utd / Liverpool will meet each other in the quarter finals for sure.

As I type this I can picture Sepp Bladdered having an annoying smug little laugh of mock surprise to the camera when Man U draw Chelsea.

Archived