BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Striker For Next Season

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's absolute rubbish, mate. He was top scorer earlier in the season before Tevez came in. He scores from the bench and, as has been said, has a decent goal return. I can think of at least three goals hes scored against us in the last two seasons alone. People don't like the idea of Bobby Zamore because he's not a 'name' and he's too old and slightly too proven to be an exciting 'gamble'. He was good enough for a team aiming for the top 10 last season. And a team who nearly won the FA Cup. If you think West Ham being near the bottom is Zamora's fault then you don't know what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong - he isn't the answer. It was more the fact that he took a cheap dig at Rover6 whilst simultaneously getting his facts wrong. Which bit don't you agree about, btw tcj?

Well, I have to say that the main thing I am in disagreement with is the idea of him being good enough for a top 10 side. Fair enough, last season he was a regular starter, but I don't think that necessarily made him a top 10 player. He only scored 10 goals in something like 40 + appearances for a start. Every team has it's weaker players and there are definately those playing in the top 10 that probably shouldn't be. Obviously these things can be interpreted differently by different people though. What I remember from last season though was my best mate, a hammers fan, being frustrated beyond belief at his inability to finish and seeming need for ten excellent chances to score a goal. He wasn't the only person I know that shared that view, being honest with you, and I have seen him a fair few times display exactly those tendancies.

I guess I also disagree that people would be opposed to signing Zamora because he is too old or because he is not a big name player. He failed at Spurs, although it could be argued he was never really given a proper chance, and has never really set the league alight with West Ham. He doesn't really have much skill, lightning quick pace and isn't especially great in the air. He is just a grafter really. That is by no means a bad thing to have in a team, and his commitment is exemplorary. In fact, I think the reason I think that he has done so well this season is that he is one of few players in a West Ham side that actually give a crap about the team. But I think those kind of players, when in attack, are generally suited more to bottom 10 teams. I thought Dickov was a great buy at 150k and a useful player to have in a relegation dog fight, but as soon as we progressed, he found himself on the bench and eventually left. He was no way good enough for the top 10. Perhaps that is a bad example, as Zamora has certainly got a better scoring rate this season than Dickov had with us, but you get my point.

Fair enough on the other points though. I realise that you aren't advocating him as a player we need and Shoppy did have his facts wrong haha. West Ham being near the bottom is probably anybody's fauly, but Zamora's!

Both of them are crap and won't improve the Rovers first team.

I don't know, I think Beattie is a good player that has just lost his way a bit the last season or two. For me, it is more the type of player he is that would make him a really good buy. I thought Roberts would be the strong forward that could win the ball in the air and hold the ball up, bringing others into play, but he hasn't done that at all. He spends more time on the floor than in the air for a start. He has been something of a disapointment for me. I think Beattie would score a fair few goals from headers alone, and he is very good at holding the ball up. I'd definately like to see him in the team.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on his all-round game. I only ever see him in games vs us and occasionally on Sky. His goal return this season has been very good for a struggling team, but I suppose if he's missing great chances too then it's not too clever. I think I'm clouded by the fact that he always seems to score against us. A bit like Heskey in that respect.

I really wonder what has happened to Beattie. At Southampton he seemed very very streaky (not unlike Zamora). 15 games without a goal would sandwich him scoring 10 goals in 8 games in ridiculous purple patches. He certainly seems to have all the attributes, but there must be a reason Everton aren't rating him. I think we can get the same type of thing from Roberts, who I believe will have a much better season next year.

I know he would not be a favourite of many on this board, and I'm not sure whether he would be available, but I would like to see the club have a look at Alan Smith. I'd say he has matured since his leeds days and although not prolific would be a great option up front, he can head the ball and although he had a miserable run in front of goal a while back i still think he has the potential to be a 15 goal ps striker.

I know he would not be a favourite of many on this board, and I'm not sure whether he would be available, but I would like to see the club have a look at Alan Smith. I'd say he has matured since his leeds days and although not prolific would be a great option up front, he can head the ball and although he had a miserable run in front of goal a while back i still think he has the potential to be a 15 goal ps striker.

After his performance last night I don't think he will be going anywhere

Your armchair punditary is really showing lately Rovers6 :D Zamora is the type of player Sheff Utd would buy if they stay up. Hes not good enough for a team aiming for the top half of the Prem. Hes had countless chances in the Prem and hasnt delivered, West Ham wouldnt be near the bottom of the league if he hadnt been firing blanks earlier in the season. Plus he a ugly bugger :D

Zamora was scoring regularly before Tevez arrived and then he lost his place in the team and the whole side went into decline.

He won't sign, so there's no point going on about it either way.

I still think Jason Roberts will come good for Rovers, in which case we don't really need a new main line forward. Roberts will never be prolific, but when on form, he can terrorise the best with pace and power. The only worry is how much the injuries have taken out of him. If we are to sign a striker, he must be pacy to complement McCarthy's measured (occasionally inert) approach play.

Zamora was scoring regularly before Tevez arrived and then he lost his place in the team and the whole side went into decline.

He won't sign, so there's no point going on about it either way.

I still think Jason Roberts will come good for Rovers, in which case we don't really need a new main line forward. Roberts will never be prolific, but when on form, he can terrorise the best with pace and power. The only worry is how much the injuries have taken out of him. If we are to sign a striker, he must be pacy to complement McCarthy's measured (occasionally inert) approach play.

Think we've seen since he came back, he hasn't lost any pace.

He still looks a poor striker.

At the moment he's looking pretty much exactly like he did before the injury, I would say. Good work rate, strong, fairly quick, can cause defences all kinds of problem...and still lacks that golden finishing touch. I think he's a confidence player though in that respect, as his form at other clubs suggests (Scored tons early last season for Wigan then it all petered out). He needs a goal, desperately. Then we'll see whether he might have what it takes. In the meantime he only really merits a bench spot, or maybe a full run out before the season is done.

I personaly think our front line needs abit of an over haul. Yes McCarthy has scored alot of goals in quick succession but when hes not scoring he does nothing for the team (From what ive seen). We need a fast, hard working striker a la an affordable Bellamy or Tevez to go alongside him, thats why young Derbs is currently 1st choice. Get rid of Nonda and Jeffers and use any funds available to get the right man in. Any ideas? Possibilities, Nugent, Bellamy, Vassell someone along them lines.

That would leave us with Benni, Nugent, Derbyshire, Roberts, Gallagher (As an example). If there are any injury crises weve always got Garner coming through.

I think it should be another young english striker like derbyshire, get rid of nonda n jeffers n do wot benhben said and use garner n de vita for an injury crisis

Noooooooo, have you seen De Vita, he's nowhere near first team standard.

He's Italian by the way ;)

I went to see Blackburn Res vs Man Utd Res the other day. It was pretty much two academy sides. Barker and De Vita played upfront, neither looked anything special, although Barker has a resemblance to Samuel Eto. Pitty its not in his feet. On the plus side we had an outstanding centre mid. Think hes called Rostywn Griffins or something. Very tall, fairly slow but very good technically, similar to Huddlestone of tottenham. We also had a couple of decent and pacey wingers on the flanks, one who thought he was abit of a ronaldo lookalike.

Score was 1-1 by the way but to be honest we should have won. How is Garner doing anyway?

I went to see Blackburn Res vs Man Utd Res the other day. It was pretty much two academy sides. Barker and De Vita played upfront, neither looked anything special, although Barker has a resemblance to Samuel Eto. Pitty its not in his feet. On the plus side we had an outstanding centre mid. Think hes called Rostywn Griffins or something. Very tall, fairly slow but very good technically, similar to Huddlestone of tottenham. We also had a couple of decent and pacey wingers on the flanks, one who thought he was abit of a ronaldo lookalike.

Score was 1-1 by the way but to be honest we should have won. How is Garner doing anyway?

Have to agree Rostyn Griffiths, (Australian) looks promising. Seen him a few times now and hes getting better all the time. He bossed the midfield against the elite of United.

The wingers that night were. Martin Olsson (Swedish) on the left with Andy Howarth on the right.

Looks like Djibril Cisse is an unwanted player. Marseille and liverpool both want rid. Mabye if he could find some of the form that saw him secure a £14m to liverpool and a regular spot in the france squad and if the injuries havent taken too bigger toll. its a big if though!

Garner seems to be doing well at Carlisle, pinging in the goals.

I've been mulling over Cisse as well (hope his wife doesn't find out). Maybe a trial or loan is needed, so we can assess his form and mental state. And then perhaps Hughes can inspire him to achieve more. No more of a risk than Bellamy was.

Depends on how much they want to sell him for. And hughes knew what he was getting as he had worked with craig with Wales and had his respect.

Cisse is a different kettle of fish.

Too true Joey. With Cisse not only are there going to be huge question marks over his fitness and form but probably more importantly his temperment. I remember watching Soccer AM and they asked one of the L'pool players who was the laziest player at the club and you could tell they were literally disgusted by Cisse's attitude and work rate. I also rememeber Ray Stubbs and Garth Crooks visited our Uni and were saying how hard Rafa was finding it to control Djibril.

this would be a gamble.

Chris Porter of Oldham. 2nd leading goalscorer in league 1, first player to score 20 league goals in a season for oldham in 30 years.

He's from wigan, went to school in blackburn (qegs) and he still has a lot of friends in the area.

I know him well and there are a few big clubs after him.

Would much rather see rovers take a gamble on him than some unknown foreigner.

Archived