Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Car... Wooohooo!

43 members have voted

1. 1. How Gay is Rickys car

• Purple ?? may as well be a rainbow
    • It will be hard to keep in a "straight" line
    • Ricky will be "OUT" in it all the time
    • Its a real mans car and not gay at all

lol, the 3am one was a little dig at my phone ringing at stupid o clock on Thursday and Saturday nights... a certain MB member seems to like getting on his phone when he's wrecked lol.

Well, all is not looking good with the car to be fair, no, it's not head gasket failure from the sound of things but it does appear to be pretty major. Looks like the engine will have to be pretty much rebuilt or I'll have to get a second hand engine. Thinking the first option is the best bet at them moment so if I come to sell at least all the serial numbers will still match up with the paper work.

Looking like it's likely to be somewhere in the £1000 mark to sort, which probably means that Lithuania was my first and last european trip of the season.

Nasty! And I guess that's put the kybosh on talking you into a season ticket, too. Hard luck mate.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its a 1.8 VVC K series engine. They use it in the early Elise as well, not sure if they used it in the later models as well.

Anyway, just got the engine back off Rob Park u in Warwickshire. Total cost of £745 (£395 parts, £350 labour) which isnt bad when the place in Hereford quoted me £1750 + VAT. While it was apart I got a few extra bits done, Land Rover have released a new Head Gasket which is less prone to the usual problems. Below is a list of parts that I have replaced.

Timing Belt Pulley (this is what was causing the knocking)

Belt Tensioner

Cylinder Head Bolts

Cylinder Head Gasket Set

Piston Rings

Bottom Gasket Set

Timing Belt x 2 (the VVc has two belts)

B/E bearings

Thrust Washers (phnaar phnaar!!)

Skim Head

Local Garage now have the tricky job of getting the engine back in.

It doesn't need an engine does it?

Reminded me of the wonderful Candid Camera sketch where they rolled an engineless car down the hill into a service station and asked for the oil to be checked.

The one of the Two Fat Ladies who died was the female passenger and whilst they were puzzling with the mechanics as to how they got they had managed to drive from the West Country without an engine said "well I heard a loud bang outside Basingstoke".

Seeing we are talking car repairs.

Have been having intermittent starting problems starting my car, usually when the Mrs has been using it.

During the last service the garage suggested that it may be the starter motor and quoted a sum of £160 plus labour.

This week it finally gave up and as its 30 odd miles to the dealer/garage we popped into the garage up the road, the owner of the garage popped round and he agreed it was the starter motor. Now this is where I get worried.

Quote....No need to buy a new one I can build you one.......£80 parts and labour.

omg....Im expecting to find a fairy liquid bottle with paper mache and a note light blue paper to start. :blink:

Whole job done in less than 12 hours, will keep you posted on how long it works.

Its a 1.8 VVC K series engine. They use it in the early Elise as well, not sure if they used it in the later models as well.

Anyway, just got the engine back off Rob Park u in Warwickshire. Total cost of £745 (£395 parts, £350 labour) which isnt bad when the place in Hereford quoted me £1750 + VAT. While it was apart I got a few extra bits done, Land Rover have released a new Head Gasket which is less prone to the usual problems. Below is a list of parts that I have replaced.

Timing Belt Pulley (this is what was causing the knocking)

Belt Tensioner

Cylinder Head Bolts

Cylinder Head Gasket Set

Piston Rings

Bottom Gasket Set

Timing Belt x 2 (the VVc has two belts)

B/E bearings

Thrust Washers (phnaar phnaar!!)

Skim Head

Local Garage now have the tricky job of getting the engine back in.

so no change of colour then

pink would suit you better

Archived