BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Axe The League Cup. Champs Lge For Fac Winners

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the point of having two domestic knock out competitions now that the formats are so similar?

Axing the League Cup for Premier League clubs would reduce fixture congestion and raise the profile of the FA Cup.

To make the FA Cup more attractive, consideration should be given to awarding the winners one of the Champions League places.

:brfc:B)

Actually I sort of agree. None of the big four seem to care about it (I think that showed last season when Unted went out to Southend who are now in League 1).

The FA Cup is more prestigious and historic.

I think there should be a trophy to replace it though.

It should be made into a British Cup with the Scottish league added into it

Good idea. That should replace it and I think it would attract positive comments when it got exciting, which it would, for at least a while, until we get bored again. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree completely with most of that article, and in fact have been in that way of thinking myself for at least the last ten years or so. The main problem is though, that as long as there are enough buffoons with more money than sense, and whose sporting interest does not run to approving and allowing genuinely competitive sport, then we will always have to suffer the total farce that now passes for sport. Which in the case of professional football means total dominance on a virtually permanent basis of a very small group of the so called elite clubs, who are backed to the hilt by the media, and hence become a new "fashion" for the unthinking masses to dutifully follow as they are led by the nose to do.

I am afraid that it is now so entrenched, and hugely vested interests are getting so rich out of it all, that there is no cure for this affliction that has killed our beloved game and is rapidly doing the same in virtually every other spectator sport as well.

The only real cure for this malady would be if a huge number of people could awake to the problem and while continuing to pay on the gate at their favourite club would at the same time cancel their subscriptions to Sky Sports and Setanta etc, thus cutting off the main source of income to the cash-cow, but keeping the clubs ticking over (albeit at a lower level tempoarily), and before very long there would be a mass departure of the venture capital merchants from the sport. This would eventually, after a period of re-adjustment, result in a gradual re-emergence of the old true competitive and sporting conditions and a re-birth of the sport as it should be.

I realise that that all this adjustment and re-birth would probably take a long time (at least 10 to 20 years) but in my opinion it would be well worth it, even though I would not live to see it.

Incidentally, I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this, as most will have grown up from the cradle with the ideas that the comercial world and big business wants you to have, and hence will not be able to either remember when things were different, or will not have the necessary mind-set to appreciate the difference. To say nothing of the patience that would be required to stick with it over a prolonged period working towards the desired result. I am afraid my generation (the young parents of the late 50's and early 60's) are the one's actually to blame for this as we were the one's that really kicked over the traces and threw out the standards of decency and honesty that had ruled prior to that.

I am afraid my generation (the young parents of the late 50's and early 60's) are the one's actually to blame for this as we were the one's that really kicked over the traces and threw out the standards of decency and honesty that had ruled prior to that.

Mianly I would say it was two generations later Fife......and there are a lot of us still trying but regretably most of our efforts see us labelled as idiots.

There is an interesting reply:

The records don't support anything you say Mr Wilson:

In the past seven years these are the champions league finalists: Liverpool, AC Milan, Barcelona, Arsenal, Porto, Monaco, Juventus, Real Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Valencia.

From a possibility of 14 completely new teams in the finals over these years, we have 11 (Liverpool and AC Milan are the the only clubs that have appeared in more than one)

These teams represent SIX different countries. So, over seven years, six different countries have had a team represented in the final. "Tri-nations"?!

The top two teams in each table at the moment are:

Porto, Marseille

Chelsea, Rosenborg

Real Madrid, Lazio

Milan, Shaktar Donetsk

Barcelona, Rangers

Manchester United, Roma

Inter, Fenerbache

Arsenal, Sevilla

So the last 16 at the moment would comprise teams from Portugal, France, England, Norway, Spain, Italy, Scotland, Ukraine, Turkey.

That's nine different countries (possibly) represented in the last 16.

Harry Redknapp may have an opinion- I doubt he'll get to taste Champions League football anytime soon.

I agree completely with most of that article, and in fact have been in that way of thinking myself for at least the last ten years or so. The main problem is though, that as long as there are enough buffoons with more money than sense, and whose sporting interest does not run to approving and allowing genuinely competitive sport, then we will always have to suffer the total farce that now passes for sport. Which in the case of professional football means total dominance on a virtually permanent basis of a very small group of the so called elite clubs, who are backed to the hilt by the media, and hence become a new "fashion" for the unthinking masses to dutifully follow as they are led by the nose to do.

I am afraid that it is now so entrenched, and hugely vested interests are getting so rich out of it all, that there is no cure for this affliction that has killed our beloved game and is rapidly doing the same in virtually every other spectator sport as well.

The only real cure for this malady would be if a huge number of people could awake to the problem and while continuing to pay on the gate at their favourite club would at the same time cancel their subscriptions to Sky Sports and Setanta etc, thus cutting off the main source of income to the cash-cow, but keeping the clubs ticking over (albeit at a lower level tempoarily), and before very long there would be a mass departure of the venture capital merchants from the sport. This would eventually, after a period of re-adjustment, result in a gradual re-emergence of the old true competitive and sporting conditions and a re-birth of the sport as it should be.

I realise that that all this adjustment and re-birth would probably take a long time (at least 10 to 20 years) but in my opinion it would be well worth it, even though I would not live to see it.

Incidentally, I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this, as most will have grown up from the cradle with the ideas that the comercial world and big business wants you to have, and hence will not be able to either remember when things were different, or will not have the necessary mind-set to appreciate the difference. To say nothing of the patience that would be required to stick with it over a prolonged period working towards the desired result. I am afraid my generation (the young parents of the late 50's and early 60's) are the one's actually to blame for this as we were the one's that really kicked over the traces and threw out the standards of decency and honesty that had ruled prior to that.

The interesting thing is seeing how your and Paul's view of outside influences into the English game parallel Gordon and others view of outside influences in Blackburn....

Archived