BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rate Barton as a player and I think, judged on ability alone, he's a better player than either Savage or Reid. He puts himself about just as much as those two but possesses a better range of passing and carries a much bigger goal threat. However, he does seem to be a bit of a headcase.

It's a shame really as I'd been impressed with his behaviour until recently. He seemed to have turned his career around after those early incidents in his youth and came across in interviews as an intelligent player who genuinely cared about the game. Maybe it's the frustration of playing in City's side every week this season that's done it but he does seem to have regressed again lately.

However, we all thought Bellamy was a headcase before he joined us and he was as good as gold here. It's not really a position we need to strengthen but, if we were to go for Barton in the summer I'd be happy.

I rate Barton as a player and I think, judged on ability alone, he's a better player than either Savage or Reid. He puts himself about just as much as those two but possesses a better range of passing and carries a much bigger goal threat. However, he does seem to be a bit of a headcase.

It's a shame really as I'd been impressed with his behaviour until recently. He seemed to have turned his career around after those early incidents in his youth and came across in interviews as an intelligent player who genuinely cared about the game. Maybe it's the frustration of playing in City's side every week this season that's done it but he does seem to have regressed again lately.

However, we all thought Bellamy was a headcase before he joined us and he was as good as gold here. It's not really a position we need to strengthen but, if we were to go for Barton in the summer I'd be happy.

I bet Toogs wouldn't.

It was a stamp IHB, pure and pre-meditated with his eyes fixed firmly on the back of Tugays heel. Should have been a straight red.

Ha, Ha. It was a foul but lets not get too carried away. If you start sending people off for things like that you'll end up with 9 a side and who'll suffer the most..the team with the worst reputation, i.e. US! A few of our players don't mind leaving a foot in here and there so we'd better get off our high horses.

Ha, Ha. It was a foul but lets not get too carried away. If you start sending people off for things like that you'll end up with 9 a side and who'll suffer the most..the team with the worst reputation, i.e. US! A few of our players don't mind leaving a foot in here and there so we'd better get off our high horses.

He's stamped on his standing foot, nowhere near the ball. That's hardly comparable to 'leaving a foot in'.

I wouldn't . Barton's a headcase ....so is Bellamy . Let's forget about both of them .

It's no different to kicking a player who hasn't got the ball. If Barton had been trying to get near the ball then fair enough but he went for Tugs' standing foot and applied significant downward pressure on his ankle. Tugay was lucky that he didn't leave the pitch with a broken ankle. He identified Tugay as the main threat and tried to take him out. :angry:

• 1 month later...

Joey Barton suspended by City for rest of season after hitting team mate in training. Linky link

This guy is a proper nutcase.

His agent says it happens on training grounds all over the country, but it's too regular an occurance with barton. The cigar incident, the Dunne bust up, the fan on the tour of asia etc...

When SSN first broke the story but they didn't know which player had been suspended, I had a feeling it would have to be Barton, he has to be the most stupid footballer going has he not learnt from his previous stupid behaviour, surley the end of him at City.

just heard that on the radio. he's doing his best to get himself such a reputation no-one will want to touch him when city kick him out.

Unfortunately that won't be the case. If he gets kicked out someone will always look to pick him up on the cheap in the hope of 'reforming' him. Fat Sam liked his delinquents but not any more. As long as he doesn't end up at Ewood.

I'd be delighted if he came to Ewood. He's a good player, better than Savage and Reid imo, and we'd hopefully get him on the cheap if City ship him out. His personal problems are well documented but I suspect most of it is born out of frustration at having to play in City's team week in week out.

SSN just read out a statement from Barton's agent who has tried to play down the incident saying Dabo made the first move and it seems to suit Man City to blame Barton.

Legends phone should be good tonight.

As for him coming to Ewood not really sure about that.

Have you taken leave of your senses Scotty? Barton's always been bad news. If that scouse nob wasn't a footballer, and did all he has done as a normal worker, he'd be inside. Frankly, I'd never want to see such a violent childish prat in a Rovers shirt. He's even worse than Bellamy for goodness sake. Imagine the press' coverage if he did sign for us as well, we might as well call ourselves HMP Ewood if that little turd signed.

I could speculate why he is such a nasty piece of work, and an average player, but I'll leave that for someone else.

I'd be delighted if he came to Ewood. He's a good player, better than Savage and Reid imo, and we'd hopefully get him on the cheap if City ship him out. His personal problems are well documented but I suspect most of it is born out of frustration at having to play in City's team week in week out.

Personally I see little difference in ability between him and Sav / Reid and if we went for him we would have to ship one of those two out. Every team certainly needs at least one player of that ilk but imo Barton's temperament spells trouble with a capital T. He'll be better placed to find his spiritual home at Sunderland imo. :o

I agree with Scotty, he's a very good player and I wouldn't mind seeing him at Ewood. He's a more talented version of Savage and if he can keep his head down he could turn into a very good premiership player. I think he's entirely capable of keeping quiet, he hasn't been that bad in the past couple of seasons except for being very openly critical about the team, which is more bred out of frustration and the sign of a footballer who actually cares then simply a mental case. We took an equally big risk in taking Bellamy on and if Barton became available for the right price then I would be happy to see us interested. The only real question I would have is whether or not we need him in a midfield where we can find grit and drive through Reid and Savage (even possibly Dunn) and where we are more lacking in creativity, flair and a bit of attacking skill.

Got to agree with Scottie & Eddie on this one.

He's a very good football player but as a human being he probably leaves a lot to be desired.

Sort out the latter and you've probably got a really decent player.

"There's the rub" as Shakespeare wrote in Hamlets speech.

Sign him up! Fantastic player and im absolutely positive Hughesy could keep him under control and get the best from him.

We've had a hell of a lot of nutcases in recent years and have hardly had any problems from them, especially under Hughes, it just makes us a more unplayable side and one that everyone fears playing.

Neill, Todd, Bellamy, Savage, Reid and Dickov are hardly the nicest of footballers but were always kept in touch....ish

According the the Guardian, Barton IS leaving Man City but Rovers are not listed as interested. How the flare-up happened does not sound nice at all. The guy seems deranged.

There are different sorts of nutters. The fact that Sparky can handle Bellamy and the current squad (perhaps Andy Todd is the exception) doesn't automatically mean that Barton would fit in or be managable.

Archived