BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, we all thought Bellamy was a headcase before he joined us and he was as good as gold here. It's not really a position we need to strengthen but, if we were to go for Barton in the summer I'd be happy.

The comparison with Bellamy doesn't really work. Hughes might have "controlled" Bellamy but he knew him before he signed him and had good reason to believe he could. To imply because A was a Headcase then Headcase B should have no problems only works if all Headcases are the same. Not only that but who is to say that Hughes didn't get lucky for one year in not having too many problems with Bellamy?

Barton seems to be the worst type of a pernicious influence. Continually slagging off team mates in the paper and whining about his team would not be good for morale.

Added to that the fact that he isn't in the same class of player as Bellamy (he's a tidy enough midfielder but nothing too special) and that we are more than adequately already covered in that area and it seems like an unnecessary gamble too far.

One of our greatest strengths seems to be our team spirit. Why risk ruining that for good by bringing Moaning Greedy Joey into the mix?

I rate Barton as a player and I think, judged on ability alone, he's a better player than either Savage or Reid. He puts himself about just as much as those two but possesses a better range of passing and carries a much bigger goal threat. However, he does seem to be a bit of a headcase.

Barton is a far better passer than either those but I highly doubt he puts himself about more than Savage who never stops running - albeit very slowly - around the pitch. Reid is a better athlete and carries a bigger goal threat than Barton does thanks to his athleticism and the power of his shots. At least he does on those days he remembers his shooting boots...

The problem with Barton is he keeps attacking his own team mates, both physically and in print, and at both club and international level. While Bellamy has his moments he remains a far more sensible gamble as regards temperament.

His personal problems are well documented but I suspect most of it is born out of frustration at having to play in City's team week in week out.

Hmmm ... yes, sounds like a very safe assumption! Because of course, every talented player who's been stuck in a rubbish team has ended up assaulting team-mates, stubbing out cigars in people's eyes, and beating up schoolboys. And of course, slagging off the team in public.

My own assumption is that he's a psychopathic nut-job and I would be most unhappy to see him in blue and white halves.

I don't even think he's that good. Leave him to Newcastle or similar.

If Barton was a bona fide world class player, like Bellamy, then I suppose I would support Mark Hughes in going out and getting him. But Barton is only a good player, not any better than Reid imo, and plays in a position we already have well covered.

All these decisions have to be made on a risk assessment. Surely the risks far outweigh the beneifts here. Also his recent England cap will mean that a large amount of clubs will be interested. We are talking 4-5m at least for a player who we don't really need who also has the potential to rock what appears a very happy boat at the moment.

I'd be more than happy if we went in for him He's a brilliant midfielder and could work well with a number of different players in the centre of midfield.

Although I wouldn't pay more than £3m or £4m for him. Plus other clubs are bound to be after him. So it's not likely (even if we were interested) that he'd think about coming here.

Barton is a horrible yob from a horrible family : I trust Hughes would have more sense than to consider signing him.

What is it about Scousers, adopted or otherwise ?

I hear on the wireless that the lovely Liverpool folk took advantage of Reina's absence to burgle his home last night.

Hes a average player at best and certainly not worthy of his international cap. IMO Dunn is a much bigger threat on the pitch unlike that idiot who is more of a threat off it.

Agree with what appears to be the majority on here that we don't want or need Barton. Working in a school with a large number of lads we all know that fights flare up now and then but in most cases it is not premeditated violence just a sudden surge of testosterone caused by a situation they can't cope with. It lasts about a minute and if you can get the kid away from the source of the problem for 30 secs they usually come to their senses and are able to behave. Barton seems to have gone in for some very nasty acts of violence which suggest a degree of premeditation and not just the quick 30 second bust up.

If Barton was a bona fide world class player, like Bellamy, then I suppose I would support Mark Hughes in going out and getting him. But Barton is only a good player, not any better than Reid imo, and plays in a position we already have well covered.

All these decisions have to be made on a risk assessment. Surely the risks far outweigh the beneifts here. Also his recent England cap will mean that a large amount of clubs will be interested. We are talking 4-5m at least for a player who we don't really need who also has the potential to rock what appears a very happy boat at the moment.

I'd have him like a shot, quality player carrying a very average team. I've seen him play teams on his own for City, who have we got capable of that ?

Lots of people here are foolishly assuming both Savage and Reid will just carry on where they left off next season, like they thought Nelsen would automatically be back to his best straight away, that's a massive gamble in my opinion. I'd be happy if only one of them hits the heights again. Given the fact that Tugay and Dunny have only played in little bursts since Christmas I think Barton would be perfect. Not that I think he'll come to Ewood for a minute.

Because of course, every talented player who's been stuck in a rubbish team has ended up assaulting team-mates, stubbing out cigars in people's eyes, and beating up schoolboys.

The smoking ban might help a bit when it comes in...... :unsure:

Can't believe there's a reasonably big minority suggesting Barton should be signed. If it wasn't for his moderate talent as a player, he'd be some nob who spends equal time in the job centre and prison, and will be making his TV debut on Jeremy Kyle. Just because he is quite good, it doesn't ecuse his constant bad behaviour. If he signed for Rovers, he'd lower morale by constantly slagging off and antagonising team mates, if not assaulting them. Hughes is a clever man, and can calm down many players like Bellamy, but Barton is too much. Signing him would be as insane as him and his brother appear to be. Only a complete idiot would touch that scouse scumbag.

I would not want Barton under any circumstances - even if we were guarenteed the quadruple with him playing. I am proud of Rovers and being a Rovers fan. How could I be proud if we had someone like Barton playing for us. Glad we showed no interest in Bowyer when he was available. Anyway Barton would be more of a handicap than an asset.

Guardian's report even more graphic.

Anyone still want to cheer Barton in a blue and white shirt?

Yes! David Moyes!

from that report

"Barton will be fined four weeks' wages and his tempestuous career in Manchester will be ended as soon as City can find a club willing to take him on. Everton are among those monitoring the situation and are aware that the 24-year-old Liverpudlian has a £5.5m buy-out clause in his contract. He was once a season-ticket holder at Goodison Park and a member of their youth academy."

btw hopes of triggering that 5.5m buy-out clause are prob pie in the sky for city now. Wouldn't suprise me if Barton, his agent and a n other club hadn't planned all this in order to engineer a move from city ...but involving more lucrative personal terms. <_<

btw hopes of triggering that 5.5m buy-out clause are prob pie in the sky for city now. Wouldn't suprise me if Barton, his agent and a n other club hadn't planned all this in order to engineer a move from city ...but involving more lucrative personal terms. <_<

That is certainly how it seems to come across. One of the reports suggested Barton was annoyed because Richard Dunne had been named club Player of the Year the night before.

Added to that is that Barton's agent is Willie McKay whose other clients include Pascal Chimbonda and Henri Camara. I'm not sure but I think McKay has also worked with Boumsong and "negotiated the best sign-on fee" when he joined Rangers where he only stayed half a season. Wikipedia - Boumsong

As for Barton...not a good history to read about...Joey Barton Factfile

"2004 - April - Stormed out of Eastlands before kick-off after being axed from the side to face Southampton.

July - Blasted by manager Kevin Keegan for causing a mass brawl in pre-season friendly at Doncaster."

...and it goes on from there...

He's a repugnant individual and I hope he gets cut down to size.

It is thought he may have been in a bad mood after Richard Dunne was named as the club's player of the year the previous night.

Bloody hell, is that all that's needed to set him off? What a baby.

I really do hope he ****ing rots. What a poor excuse for a human being.

Joey Barton, fine player and perhaps exactly what we need. Sadly though I would not touch him with a barge pole the man is a loose cannon. This lad has the world at his feet and can not control himself. He could, if not careful, end up on the football scrap heap. Odds on him going to Sunderland with RK?

Why hasn't he been arrested? after seeing the pictures of dabo he cannot get away with that.

Where are these pictures at Modes?

I've never seen the fuss about him as a player. He seems to be adequate at most things, but he doesn't really excel at anything. Dominc Matteo would probably stand out in that Man City team, they have possibly the worst midfield of any Premiership side. I can't see anything in him that makes him superior to Savage or Reid.

I think the Everton stories will be a re-hash of when they were interested in him a few years ago. They've since signed Manuel Fernandes for that position, and he's a far better player than Barton will ever be. They seem to have a good team spirit at Goodison too, Moyes seems too shrewd to let Barton spoil that. Had Allardyce still been at Bolton then I wouldn't have been surprised to see him end up at the Reebok. As things stand now, it's difficult to see where his career can go from here. Harry Redknapp isn't afraid of risky signings and Portsmouth have money, so maybe there?

Not that I really care, as long as he doesn't come here.

Archived