BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah he doesn't look too bad. Mind you I think a detached retina is pretty serious, eh?

"Suspected" the article said.

And I doubt he could have been that seriously injured if as the article alleged he had to be physically restrained from going after Barton after he came round.

Sounds like he's laying the groundwork for his civil action. Good luck to him though. Barton deserves everything coming to him.

Where are these pictures at Modes?

I've never seen the fuss about him as a player. He seems to be adequate at most things, but he doesn't really excel at anything. Dominc Matteo would probably stand out in that Man City team, they have possibly the worst midfield of any Premiership side. I can't see anything in him that makes him superior to Savage or Reid.

I think the Everton stories will be a re-hash of when they were interested in him a few years ago. They've since signed Manuel Fernandes for that position, and he's a far better player than Barton will ever be. They seem to have a good team spirit at Goodison too, Moyes seems too shrewd to let Barton spoil that. Had Allardyce still been at Bolton then I wouldn't have been surprised to see him end up at the Reebok. As things stand now, it's difficult to see where his career can go from here. Harry Redknapp isn't afraid of risky signings and Portsmouth have money, so maybe there?

Not that I really care, as long as he doesn't come here.

Chuck, you're not listening are you , if either of Savage or Reid make it back to full fitness I'll be over the moon.

1) Savage has broken his leg at a bad time in his career, I had two broken legs as a player, the physical side usually takes care if itself, it's the mental side that's hard to recover, 2) Reid has had two career threatening injuries in one year.

There's no guarantee either of them will be the force they were before.

Not wishing to minimise the seriousness of the incident but I'm sure the injuries wouldn't look as severe if his left eye didn't appear to be taped shut.

Legal action is a bit much for an incident of this nature . The courts have better things to occupy their time than this bit of fisticuffs .

Legal action is a bit much for an incident of this nature . The courts have better things to occupy their time than this bit of fisticuffs .

If reports are true then Barton jumped him from behind and the punched him in the face while on the ground which is (obviously) a criminal offence. Dabo seemingly wants to prosecute and that is his right.

I'm unsure as to why you believe incidents of physical assault or GBH should not be dealt with by the law. If it was a case of being jumped from behind then it is not a case of "fisticuffs". Personally I couldn't care less if it was just two lads having a fight but it seems to suggest that this was instead a cowardly assault from behind.

That said we only know this from reports. If it was different and was actually two blokes as bad as each other then it will come out and Barton has received a lot of unfair coverage in the media over it.

It was on the training ground and that's where it should stay . Be a bit different if it was outside a pub or if serious damage had been done .

The average joe would put such an incident down to experience and move on ....I reckon Dabo won't lose out too much on the earnings front so what's his problem ?

It was on the training ground and that's where it should stay . Be a bit different if it was outside a pub or if serious damage had been done .

Rubbish...the location is irrelevant. Assault is assault wherever it happens.

The average joe would put such an incident down to experience and move on ....I reckon Dabo won't lose out too much on the earnings front so what's his problem ?

Not necessarily. Many people, if attacked for no reason, would make sure that the perpetrator was taken for task over it. I'm sure you seem to be implying that you would sort it out yourself without recourse for legal action. That is fine but nobody else should have to go down that line just because you would.

Again we don't know exactly what happened but it is Dabo's right to seek legal action. It's presumably got nothing to do with money as I'd expect Dabo is a wealthy man.

Rubbish...the location is irrelevant. Assault is assault wherever it happens.

Not necessarily. Many people, if attacked for no reason, would make sure that the perpetrator was taken for task over it. I'm sure you seem to be implying that you would sort it out yourself without recourse for legal action. That is fine but nobody else should have to go down that line just because you would.

Again we don't know exactly what happened but it is Dabo's right to seek legal action. It's presumably got nothing to do with money as I'd expect Dabo is a wealthy man.

Rubbish! It's a training ground spat and thats that. Nobody's really hurt and it happens all the time in pro and amateur football alike.... Rugby players must be laughing out loud ffs! It's hardly worth some big girls blouse taking legal action (....just cos he lost...) imo. It's usually put down to life's learning curve.

Move on and grow up Dabo. Any discipline should be down to the club.

Rubbish! It's a training ground spat and thats that. Nobody's really hurt and it happens all the time in pro and amateur football alike.... Rugby players must be laughing out loud ffs! It's hardly worth some big girls blouse taking legal action (....just cos he lost...) imo. It's usually put down to life's learning curve.

Move on and grow up Dabo. Any discipline should be down to the club.

How would you know? You weren't there.

Like I said if it was just a fight then it should be no problem but Dabo obviously seem to think it wasn't. So he is entitled to take it further. That's his right whether he is a "big girls blouse" or Rocky 'drog.

If he didn't do anything about it, Barton could just go on doing what he does and having it called "boys being boys." Do you really think this will cost him money? He gets out of a crap team, probably to Everton, and probably with a signing on bonus and at least the same salary.

Assault is assault is assault. I don't see why the fact that is was at their place of employment should make any difference. If there is a detached retina it is serious damage.

Assault is assault is assault. I don't see why the fact that is was at their place of employment should make any difference. If there is a detached retina it is serious damage.

Quite so. The fact that Manchester City suspended the player showed that this was no ordinary training ground dispute. Everton are welcome to him.

Quite so. The fact that Manchester City suspended the player showed that this was no ordinary training ground dispute. Everton are welcome to him.

Umm my brother was king hit from behind and ended up with a fractured skull, broken jaw in three places and bleeding to the brain. The guy that did it got 4 years. From what I've read, I can't see why Barton shouldn't do time.

So according to Blue Phil and Thenodrog, legal issues do not apply to training grounds, or at least shouldn't. What rubbish. So using that logic, a man is perfectly OK to beat and/or rape his wife in their home, as it is in many ways 'in house'. Never mind love, put it down to experience and move on.

Joey Barton should have been put inside for the incident with the cigar, let alone the assault of the 15 year old. However, since he is a footballer, all such matters will not be prosecuted by the courts because it will be 'dealt with' by the club. All this usually amounts to is a few weeks wages going unpaid, and missing a few games. No wonder why players think they're above the law, and swan around roasting groupies and drink driving. It's that incidents like this, and the Hartson/Berkovic incident a few years ago came under the full glare of the law. Then little prats like Barton, may, just may curb their violent tendancies.

As someone who has been assaulted in an unprovoked manner last year, I can say it does affect you. Luckily the guy who hit me punched like a 5 year old girl, and all its done has made me detest the young men of Bridlington as a group. It could have been worse.

So according to Blue Phil and Thenodrog, legal issues do not apply to training grounds, or at least shouldn't. What rubbish. So using that logic, a man is perfectly OK to beat and/or rape his wife in their home, as it is in many ways 'in house'. Never mind love, put it down to experience and move on.

Absolute nonsense . I made it perfectly clear that the severity of the "assault" was relevant . There are claims of Dabo's retina being detached but is that the case ? All I'm aware of from what I've seen is a black eye ...the kind of thing that happens every day a thousand times up and down the country - and which the victim usually has enough sense not to waste police time with .

In one of the papers today was a photo of the bloke who had his eye used as an ashtray by Barton . Now that would have been justified in taking to the attention of Plod . Dabo's injuries were the result of a training ground spat - nothing more .

For all the hand wringers out there ask yourself where does it all end ? Should Ronaldo take Ball to court for being stamped on for example ?

om what I've seen is a black eye ...the kind of thing that happens every day a thousand times up and down the country - and which the victim usually has enough sense not to waste police time with .

Rubbish. Anyone who is assaulted and receives an eye injury, whether it is on the football pitch or in the street, should contact the police and would rightly expect the attacker to be prosecuted.

om what I've seen is a black eye ...the kind of thing that happens every day a thousand times up and down the country - and which the victim usually has enough sense not to waste police time with .

Rubbish. Anyone who is assaulted and receives an eye injury, whether it is on the football pitch or in the street, should contact the police and would rightly expect the attacker to be prosecuted.

Dabo's injuries were the result of a training ground spat - nothing more .

You've got a very generous definition of "spat."

There's always a bit wide grey area of what constitutes assault in a game. Some bad tackles result in no injury, some innocent ones result in broken legs. The laws of the game are different from the laws of the land. Generally football wants to deal with matter in-house. The only one that went outside the game that I can think of is Duncan Ferguson who got banged up in Barlinnie prison for an off the ball assault during a game. Can anyone think of any others?

Being repeatedly punched in the face on a training ground by a team-mate is very different. Why is the location of the training ground meant to offer immunity from assault?

I'd still have Barton though, put him on a "special clause" contract regarding his behaviour and then put him in a room for half an hour with Ryan Nelsen & Chris Samba who could perhaps give him some advice regarding his future behaviour towards his team-mates.

Barton has become too big at City. Whichever club he ends up at he will be the new boy, and certainly won't be able to behave likes he owns the place.

I'd still have Barton though, put him on a "special clause" contract regarding his behaviour and then put him in a room for half an hour with Ryan Nelsen & Chris Samba who could perhaps give him some advice regarding his future behaviour towards his team-mates.

Have you ever actually spoken to Ryan Nelsen? More of a gentleman- in all meanings of the word- you'd be hard-pushed to find. Put a Sourpuss mask on him and show him to Andy Todd and David Dunn, and you might have him taught a lesson!!!

Jan,

I'm sure that both Ryan & Chris are perfectly nice people. Just trying to paint a mental picture.

I was thinking of Andy Todd providing the induction chat but he's hardly the bloke to do the job about respecting team-mates.

Cheers

Colin

Archived