BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

And so you would make every piece of fisticuffs whether in the playground, playing field, pub etc a police matter? Common sense usually will rule except presumably in your neck of the woods. Black eyes, bruises and loose teeth are commonplace in everyday life. In this instance Barton has been told he has to go I guess because he persists in violence towards his team mates and presumably would have been on a final warning, if this was his first offence there would be little said or done about it.

No problem. If you don't want to reply to my questions that's OK. I never really thought that you had nothing to say for yourself, so I find your reluctance somewhat strange. Not the end of the world for me.

I just thought your comments were interesting and worth a debate about what you considered unacceptable behaviour on the training field. I was only trying to get a feel for your tolerence of violence.

If you choose not to back up your post with reasoned arguements then that's fine.

BTW. There's no need to invent assumptions about what I think and then take an opposite view, (as you have done above.) That really doesn't serve any purpose. Fairly pointless really to be honest.

Just to refresh your memory, my questions were:

(i) What would be the worst thing you'd tolerate before you thought criminal proceeding shouldn't begin?

(ii) What's the least worst act of violence you would decide needed criminal proceedings?

(iii) Why would you draw the line at this particular point in the scale?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did you write all that convoluting crap for Colin? Your first two sentences were sufficient.

No problem, sling an insult, don't bother to justify a post when asked about it.

Your problem.

It is an interesting jurisprudential debate about injuries and actions undertaken in the name of sport. At what point do they become a police matter?

A late tackle that is punished by a free kick is a lot different to a high tackle that ends a career (Keane/Haarland) but at what point is the implied consent of the participant deemed withdrawn. If you play football, you are going to get kicked sooner or later. Do you consent to being kicked occasionally, frequently, moderately, really hard?

You could argue that you consent to play the game within the rules of the game, but that would mean that every foul against you could constitute an assault that is punishable under the offences against the persons act, which is clearly a nonsense.

What about Rugby players? They intentionally set out to tackle as hard as possible to knock the wind out of their opponents sails. If you get injured as a result of an intentional act is that not punishable at law?

I'm fairly sure that punching your team mates in training is going beyond the pale, but where the line is actually to be drawn is a very difficult issue.

I do believe however that Barton would be a very good addition to our squad, which is in danger of becoming a bit lightweight and soft now that we have parted company with Dickov and Lucash and Todd looks likely to follow. Who is going to make us really unpopular with the press and injure liverpool players next season? We are in danger of becoming a nice team to play against. Sign him now.

so Theno, you going to answer the very reasonable questions that Colin asked you?

Avoiding them and then posting some smilies doesnt really seem like an answer, more of an avoidance

:tu:

I think he should answer Colin's questions once Colin has answered questions he's posed to other people.

Many the time I've answered what he asked, then asked for his answer and got nothing. So those in glass houses...

Tell you what then Bryan, dont take my word for it just get yourself away from your seemingly cossetted existence in East Kent and spend the weekend in the casualty dept of any major town or City. :wstu:

Loose teeth, black eyes etc are commonplace in casualty departments, are they? Well blow me down with a feather, I can't quite believe it.

I've lived in the Midlands, Cumbria, Norwich, Essex, Kent and am now in Germany, as well as living in Lancashire for a time, and I must say, I don't recall people going round lamping each other in the form of a cheery hello.

I think you must live in a fantasy world. :huh:

There really is only one honourable way to settle this dispute between Colin and Theno. Colin as the affronted party should challenge Theno to a duel; pistols or rapiers at dawn, with a referee, and each duellist choosing their own seconds.

I suggest Mr Wiley for the ref, or possibly Mr Devine.

There really is only one honourable way to settle this dispute between Colin and Theno. Colin as the affronted party should challenge Theno to a duel; pistols or rapiers at dawn, with a referee, and each duellist choosing their own seconds.

I suggest Mr Wiley for the ref, or possibly Mr Devine.

Depends if it's a premiership fight or just championship because Jim as a linesman is only allowed ref up to Championship level

Surely, in keeping with the spirit of this discussion, Colin should lamp thenodrog on the back of the head with the butt of the pistol before shooting him in the face a few times when he is lying unconscious on the ground?

Then at the funeral we can all have a chortle about "playground pranks", "fisticuffs" and "if you think that was bad you should check out casualty!"

Proceedings could close by having a collection for a "Start Lancashire United fund". "It's what he would have wanted" we would whisper to each other. :tu:

Just kidding...plenty of life in the old 'drog yet! :lol:

Is that quote off Bridget Jones? :)

Lets beat the daylights out of johnny foreigner.

I never suggested anything like that at all.

You should stick to organising your limp wristed open air concert parties in the balmy nights of the eastern Med Mr Lar de Dar Gunner Graham and leave the hairy chested manly football to us over here in the frozen northwest.

chin chin

so Theno, you going to answer the very reasonable questions that Colin asked you?

Even you must recognise that soppy Colin's questions were entirely rhetorical - none of them could be answered definitively as Chesh's subsequent post showed all too well ....

Not only rhetorical I might add .....but also entirely hypocritical - as our Col had already earlier expressed a desire to bring Barton to our club !! :lol:

And as for the tolerance of violence , was it not our Colin who took such great delight in the floods that devestated New Orleans a year or so ago ? But they were only Yanks ; they don't count .... <_<

Oh for goodness sake!

Thenodrog thought that what Barton did was acceptable.

I, and a few others, didn't.

I asked him what he thought was unacceptable.

He hasn't replied. I've no idea why.

Draw your own conclusions.

I really don't care.

Oh for goodness sake!

Thenodrog thought that what Barton did was acceptable.

I, and a few others, didn't.

I asked him what he thought was unacceptable.

He hasn't replied. I've no idea why.

Draw your own conclusions.

I really don't care.

I suspect the level of violence he considers acceptable will depend who's on the receiving end and the colour of their skin.

I suspect the level of violence he considers acceptable will depend who's on the receiving end and the colour of their skin.

Who asked you to speculate on what I think? Anyway yes to the first part and no to the second.

BUT..... if you are so knowledgeable in your attempt to be ever so smug about possible colour prejudice, why have you nor anybody else yet considered linking Bartons attack with his brothers recent incarceration for murdering a black kid in liverpool?

What the fact that Barton's brother got done for a racist incident, therefore the whole family are racist biggots?

As far as I remember no one took delight in the number of people killed in New Orleans, well except for a bunch of neowanker religious nuts who thought it was a punishment by god on the Jew's, balcks and homosexuals.

Still, when Andy Todd broke someones face at Charlton, I dont remember to much national media hullabaloo, and we signed him and voted him best player of the season.

Barton would fit right in, and as a player alone, Id welcome his signing. As a person I wouldnt want him anywhere near me or the club I support.

Archived