BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Absentee Season Tickets

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that some people can't afford to do this as I know for a fact that a lot of people spend close to £1000+ a season watching Blackburn home and away as well as buying club merchandise. If people can't afford to go it's not our problem, surley the club has now made us one of the most affordable to go to in the Premiership.

Methinks they do protest too much. I think that I must have touched a (rather guilty) nerve with some of our distant cousins. :rover:

Hey Big Spenders........Tell you all what I'll put the difference in price between my new ST (about £150) and my old one into driftpeasants kitty if the nine affronted posters between my earlier post and this will contribute the same amount ....... No cheating mind.

btw neekoy consider this, when your kids left home to live his/her own life in the big wide world and your missus has bgugrred off with your best mate the Rovers will still be there for you. ;)

No guilt here I just get sick of your rhetoric. I find you demeaning and you belittle my love for Rovers. I used to love Hollands Pies, I never eat em should I still send them money? should I contribute yearly to THwaites? Can you honestly tell me that there is not a sport you enjoy yet do not attend events?

Anyway I have made my effort and may do so again, why? cos I want to. As for your offer here, it's a bit empty isn't it, you were prepared to pay full whack anyway so technically it's no skin off your nose. As I said Gordon if you are as passionate about this as you claim to be, set it up I am sure we will donate something to a worthy cause, guilt free.

And for anyone who is actually interested with this endeavor I've just gotten this request answered by the Chairman's PA. I'm not sure how much she'll be able to help, but at least I've gotten a somewhat official reply from across the pond...

Hey Hypo, Arizona here, let me know how that goes will you?

I'm not convinced this is the greatest idea tbqh, as whilst in theory its ok, the practicalities are that people would probably abuse the system and it would be a nightmare to manage.

Chances are that if we subsidised a 300 quid ticket, then that 300 quid will just end up spent in the pub.

I've not actually seen any workable solution yet, so i'm very sceptic about the chances of success.

Ugh.

Look, acrimony aside, this is to do THREE things:

1) Help Rovers by getting them some money

2) Put some rears in the seats

3) Help out kids who couldn't otherwise go to matches

I don't care if you're Fred Walker or homeless, whether you spend thousands of pounds on Rovers or whether you bought 1 shirt last year second hand. This is about helping the team and children NOW.

If you have an extra 50 bucks/quid/lira/kroner/etc. that you can donate towards this, or if you can buy a full ticket, or even if you can just buy a scarf for a kid who gets to go visit, that's all you need. That's a great gesture. If you can't because of your financial situation, then that's fine too. No one thinks any less of you for not donating. I'm in a position right now where I can - 5 years ago I wasn't.

Whether you do this or not no one doubts your love of Rovers (well, except for Jim Mk. II, but that's another story). Can't we put aside our petty differences on what makes a fan and just help the club we all love?

Why don't you just buy one (or more if funds are raised) between you which will be held by a responsible person which will be distributed

1 To any overseas Board member on an annual trip over

2 To a deserving case as and when it's not being otherwise used.

Then you're all contributing but can make some use of it. Only problem arises if two people come over for the same game. Then either first come first served, or a ballot.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 15 2007, 10:09 ) 499059[/snapback]
I'm not convinced this is the greatest idea tbqh, as whilst in theory its ok, the practicalities are that people would probably abuse the system and it would be a nightmare to manage.

Chances are that if we subsidised a 300 quid ticket, then that 300 quid will just end up spent in the pub.

I've not actually seen any workable solution yet, so i'm very sceptic about the chances of success.

The idea as I have it is more that we buy a ticket or block of tickets and find some way to assign them to a school or charity to allow kids who might not otherwise get to go to Rovers games to go. That way we both provide funds to Rovers and ensure the seats aren't left empty.

We may not be able to find a good solution, but we're at least going to try.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 15 2007, 10:09 ) 499059[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not convinced this is the greatest idea tbqh, as whilst in theory its ok, the practicalities are that people would probably abuse the system and it would be a nightmare to manage.

The idea as I have it is more that we buy a ticket or block of tickets and find some way to assign them to a school or charity to allow kids who might not otherwise get to go to Rovers games to go. That way we both provide funds to Rovers and ensure the seats aren't left empty.

We may not be able to find a good solution, but we're at least going to try.

Just one thing- if you're buying kids season tickets you don't need £300. £99 will do it.

Why don't you just buy one (or more if funds are raised) between you which will be held by a responsible person which will be distributed

1 To any overseas Board member on an annual trip over

2 To a deserving case as and when it's not being otherwise used.

Then you're all contributing but can make some use of it. Only problem arises if two people come over for the same game. Then either first come first served, or a ballot.

That's essentially what we're trying to do, though I think more for deserving kids in/around Blackburn than for the rest of us. I'd rather pay for a season ticket for a kid and then just buy my ticket when I come over rather than deprive someone who may want to go more than I do and/or can't afford it.

That's essentially what we're trying to do, though I think more for deserving kids in/around Blackburn than for the rest of us. I'd rather pay for a season ticket for a kid and then just buy my ticket when I come over rather than deprive someone who may want to go more than I do and/or can't afford it.

I know, but the real problem is deciding who is a deserving case and who is not. There's the whole element of being seen to take charity, and often you find that the most deserving are those least likely to claim what theiy're entitled to (viz pensions and the elderly- compared to benefits for those who are already working). I suspect that the danger is that the same thing will happen here, and the ticket would end up going to a chancer's child who could probably afford one themselves rather than someone really poor who wouldn't want to be seen taking charity for their child.

Not having the relevant contacts in Blackburn, and the suspicion being that most of the posters on here won't either (given they can all afford access to a pc) I think it might be difficult to do. Doesn't make it a bad idea- just a difficult one to administer.

Personally, the steps I'd take are:

Find a school whose catchment area takes in the poorest parts of Blackburn (local knowledge would help here- have none, sorry)

Get their phone number and call the headmaster YOURSELF to explain what you're proposing. Perhaps the headmaster would hold onto it/them and distribute.

I know, but the real problem is deciding who is a deserving case and who is not. There's the whole element of being seen to take charity, and often you find that the most deserving are those least likely to claim what theiy're entitled to (viz pensions and the elderly- compared to benefits for those who are already working). I suspect that the danger is that the same thing will happen here, and the ticket would end up going to a chancer's child who could probably afford one themselves rather than someone really poor who wouldn't want to be seen taking charity for their child.

Not having the relevant contacts in Blackburn, and the suspicion being that most of the posters on here won't either (given they can all afford access to a pc) I think it might be difficult to do. Doesn't make it a bad idea- just a difficult one to administer.

Personally, the steps I'd take are:

Find a school whose catchment area takes in the poorest parts of Blackburn (local knowledge would help here- have none, sorry)

Get their phone number and call the headmaster YOURSELF to explain what you're proposing. Perhaps the headmaster would hold onto it/them and distribute.

:angry:

...and that's why we're contacting Rovers to see if they can lend any assistance in this matter. I'm from Austin - I have no idea what the high income vs. low income areas of Blackburn are.

If Rovers are unable to help us that way, your suggestion will be the next thing we try, most likely.

:angry:

Shes trying to say that people on this board can afford PCs, so they are likely not to be stuck in abject poverty hence may not have the community contacts to find a real deserving cause. A reasonable point tbqh.

Driftpeasant - do you not think that Rovers already do similar things through their community schemes already. I imagine they would give you a more detailed answer than that though.

...and that's why we're contacting Rovers to see if they can lend any assistance in this matter. I'm from Austin - I have no idea what the high income vs. low income areas of Blackburn are.

If Rovers are unable to help us that way, your suggestion will be the next thing we try, most likely.

Extremely sensible. I hope Rovers can help.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 15 2007, 16:09 ) 499089[/snapback]
Shes trying to say that people on this board can afford PCs, so they are likely not to be stuck in abject poverty hence may not have the community contacts to find a real deserving cause. A reasonable point tbqh.

Driftpeasant - do you not think that Rovers already do similar things through their community schemes already. I imagine they would give you a more detailed answer than that though.

I also have a suspicion- which I might be wrong with, not coming from the area- that a lot of the extremely poor may be of asian descent, and given what seems to be the ethnic makeup of the people on here, we would not be the right people to find them (that is if they were even interested in attending the games).

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 15 2007, 16:09 ) 499089[/snapback]

They have em free in Whitebirk.......

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id=2001_0142

Anyway why not raffle the tickets through sweet shops / the LT / pubs etc? That way any proceeds can be used to buy some more.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 15 2007, 11:09 ) 499089[/snapback]

I do, and this is more of an adjunct to that. At least half of this is to funnel money to the club by buying tickets (and then giving us the ability to actually kvetch about Hughes' transfer budget. :rolleyes: ). So if the club DOES have a plan of this type, I'm more than happy to have any tickets we buy go into that kitty so long as we can get some money to Rovers.

• 3 weeks later...
Probably frowned upon, but here's a shameless bump to get an update on this....

JW's PA responded to me saying they were working on it. I think it's now approaching two weeks ago so I'm going to have to see what the deal is. I hate being pushy, but it's not like we're asking for much...I just hope the front office works better than the ticket office or else we'd be better off slogging over there ourselves. =/

But someone did come up with a good point about the kid's tickets being 99 quid instead of the 300. If we can get together enough for 5 kids tickets maybe the club can stump for an adult ticket for the chaperone/sponsor...

I'm no longer a season ticket holder, not in the local area anymore so that's why I gave it up and don't have the time to be honest, although I have made a few games this season, not many and will be making it on Saturday.

I won't get a season ticket for a few more years I would imagine, although I do miss going to Rovers, the other people you meet etc but at times in your life you do realise there is more to life than football.

Archived