BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunn And Tugay In The Same Midfield

pg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no way players in the past were at the same level of fitness as modern footballers. In fact they all say it and mention how the game is much quicker now.

What players could get away with decades ago will likely take a greater toll for a player today.

Dunn does get way too much flak because he is a local lad but it doesn't mean people necessarily have an "agenda" against him. I'd suggest most Rovers fans would rather him do well than anyone else on the team. As a local lad he is supported the most but probably also more easily receives criticism as well; both fair and unfair.

I don't dispute what you say about the relative levels of overall fitness of players now compared with 50 years ago FLB.

The point I was aiming at in my previous post (perhaps badly) is that whatever the accepted level of fitness was for a pro footballer then, it does not alter the fact that that was the criteria. The difference between then and now is that in those days absolutely NO LEEWAY AT ALL was allowed. If the club said NO DRINKING and you were caught at it you would be severely disciplined and in some case dismissed from the club. No fancy contracts and agents in those days! There were also rules that you had to accept about bedtimes and being seen "on the town". All that was only relaxed in the close season. Modern day footballers get away with murder in comparison.

Also there is a point to consider about the relative damage to fitness done by drinking and nightlife:

If you are totally unfit i.e "a slob" and you go out on the town and get drunk 7 nights a week it will have virtually no worsening or detrimental effect on your present state of fitness which is already non-existant.

If you are are a pro footballer in full training in the 50's the same would have a severe detrimental effect and would lower your fitness level to an unacceptably poor level if persisted in i.e you made a habit of it.

If we now apply the same logic to a modern day footballer the detrimental effect is going to be many times greater because of his initial higher level of fitness i.e he has much more to lose and is going to lose the edge much more quickly.

Plotting the graphs for all these cases shows the applicable law to be exponential.

The player who's concerning me more is Tugay, I don't see every game so this is a genuine question- when did he last have a top game- by my reckoning it's before Xmas, old age and heavy grounds taking their toll ?

I was going to post on Tugay a couple of weeks back.

He has been poor in 2007.

I do not think Hughes thought he would play as many games, however, he has been really poor this year.

imo It's a lot to do with the injury to Robbie Savage. Tugay lost both his runner and his minder with one nasty challenge at Watford.

imo It's a lot to do with the injury to Robbie Savage. Tugay lost both his runner and his minder with one nasty challenge at Watford.

MH expressed his own fears for the effect on Tug's of his return to international duties, and it now looks like he was vindicated.

Well Michael Gray was definitely on the pop early in the season making such a prat of himself that Rooney lamped him one. Hopefully Hughes is trying to cut back on this? Having a night out every now and then might be one thing but all reports suggest Gray was completely leathered. Not great for the body with games coming up in the next week or so.

As for Tugay...his form was the same before he was recalled into the international squad as it was since. Part of it may be down to tiredness but also it seems to be the lack of someone to protect him. Bentley or Dunn can't do this although Mokoena has been improving recently. We do miss Lily though.

Well as I seem to be the only one on the entire BRFCS that does not know who Ricky Hatton is or what his connection with Dunn is, would someone care to enlighten me please?

Ricky Hatton is a world champion boxer at some or other weight. Guess he must be one of Dunny's mates??

Ricky Hatton is a world champion boxer at some or other weight. Guess he must be one of Dunny's mates??

Thank you Jan. You learn something new every day no matter how long you live.

Sounds like a useful guy to have for a mate these days, or does Dunny hire him as a minder? ;)

Thank you Jan. You learn something new every day no matter how long you live.

Sounds like a useful guy to have for a mate these days, or does Dunny hire him as a minder? ;)

I think Dunny's his minder. It's a weight thing ... :ph34r:

Well as I seem to be the only one on the entire BRFCS that does not know who Ricky Hatton is or what his connection with Dunn is, would someone care to enlighten me please?

Still amazes me that people don't use Google

Ricky Hatton, WC Welterweight boxer, MBE, One of the best fighters of his generation

rovers v man city dunny =rovers fan hatton =city fan

both "names " in the north west.

girl who sits in front of me had a picture of them both in "toffs"(i think..or whatever its name is no)

• 6 years later...

Everton 1 - Blackburn 0 (A)

Bayern 3 - Blackburn 2 (A)

Blackburn 0 - Bayern 0 (H)

Blackburn 1 - West Ham 2 (H)

Sack the board, sack the manger... Heck, sack the entire playing staff and the tea lady too. Do it before the rot sets in.

2005 Rev Blue

.......lets drop Freidel cos he is past it and play our other international keeper Peter Enckleman... :o

Nice one Simon! :P If that post and thread is not mboard gold then I don't know what is. Hell I'd wager Brad's still better than anything we have now between the sticks.

btw Did you never ever contemplate dropping Shearer when he missed a sitter and playing Peter Thorne in his place? ^_^

2005 Rev Blue

.......lets drop Freidel cos he is past it and play our other international keeper Peter Enckleman... :o

Nice one Simon! :P If that post and thread is not mboard gold then I don't know what is. Hell I'd wager Brad's still better than anything we have now between the sticks.

btw Did you never ever contemplate dropping Shearer when he missed a sitter and playing Peter Thorne in his place? ^_^

What a great thread that was! EIT dissing fans who supported Friedel, while also dissing fans who didn't rate Dickov.

2005 Rev Blue

Hmmmm........ was that a direct quote?

Even if it was, from memory I would say you've been fairly selective with the snippet you've quoted and read in it's full context my post was rather more along the lines of "What's the point paying a fortune to have an international second choice keeper sat on the bench if

you're too scared to stick him in when your first choice keeper has a wobble in form" rather than "Sell that Friedel he's rubbish."

Good find though!

Btw. Weren't you very dismissive of Hughes before he was appointed? Heaven forbid anyone should drag that thread up!

If it had been a direct quote it would have been in quotation marks. However the post is easy to find if you follow the link in page 1 post 14 of this thread that SKH was alluding to above. I'm sure EiT and USA Blue must be squirming too.

In answer to your point re: Hughes.....

Indeed I was. I'm not afraid to say that my fears were unfounded and that Hughes proved me wrong when he stepped up to the managers office and left his teammates in the changing room. Not everyone could have done that. Until he did that I thought he may well have been the easy option. Suffice to say that John Williams himself was not infallible hence his next appointment of the duck egg Paul Ince when running scared of the obvious one 10 miles down the road (and free from contract) of Sam Allardyce.

btw... You must admit that post of yours is well funny though.

In fairness, a lot of us weren't overly happy at the prospect of Hughes; appointment.

He was a completely untried and untested young manager going into an established and well-run Premiership club.

Fortunately for us, he was a masterstroke.

I was more than happy to admit that I was wrong on that one and I'm sure the other guys who were hesitant were too...

If it had been a direct quote it would have been in quotation marks. However the post is easy to find if you follow the link in page 1 post 14 of this thread that SKH was alluding to above. I'm sure EiT and USA Blue must be squirming too.

In answer to your point re: Hughes.....

Indeed I was. I'm not afraid to say that my fears were unfounded and that Hughes proved me wrong when he stepped up to the managers office and left his teammates in the changing room. Not everyone could have done that. Until he did that I thought he may well have been the easy option. Suffice to say that John Williams himself was not infallible hence his next appointment of the duck egg Paul Ince when running scared of the obvious one 10 miles down the road (and free from contract, sat in a hotel waiting) of Micheal Laudrup, who wouldn't have bored us all to death with WW2 tactics

btw... You must admit that post of yours is well funny though.

Reads much better without your agenda, lol.

Archived