BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunn And Tugay In The Same Midfield

pg

Reads much better without your agenda, lol.

I still say that for a financially stricken club in the Prem Allardyce is unbeatable. I love watching Swansea but Laudrup inherited the finished article* and added Michu. I guess he'll be off soon and Laudrup will have to replace him to infinity. And that is not easy as Mark Hughes said. Only time will tell how Laudrup fares.

*It might be wisest at this stage to suggest that we should have gone for Brendan Rogers.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes was more of a calculated risk, given he had managed at international level, and handled big personalities like Bellamy & Savage. Ince, on the other hand, was a lower league manager who had mainly relied on his playing reputation to motivate his players, and couldn't have looked anymore out of his depth when he took over at Rovers. I'd love to know what was going through JW's head when he made that call. Rovers had no shortage of interested managers in that vacancy and we're meant to believe Ince stood out above the rest?

Hughes was more of a calculated risk, given he had managed at international level, and handled big personalities like Bellamy & Savage. Ince, on the other hand, was a lower league manager who had mainly relied on his playing reputation to motivate his players, and couldn't have looked anymore out of his depth when he took over at Rovers. I'd love to know what was going through JW's head when he made that call. Rovers had no shortage of interested managers in that vacancy and we're meant to believe Ince stood out above the rest?

Exactly Amarillo. This is a passable impression of me the first two minutes after first hearing that we had appointed the plonker. :o:(:angry2:

Could look at it another way though. Hughes had half as many games as a manager under his belt as Ince, in an area only loosely related to club management. He had no experience in the transfer market or coaching players for weeks at a time. Ince had already managed 2 different clubs, and had a stunning record with both. Its easy in hindsight to label Hughes as the smarter choice but at the time we appointed them I think they were both equally risky.

JW said in an interview why he appointed Ince. Because the young, hungry manager with a desire to play good football approach had worked with Hughes and he wanted to repeat it. Personally I think he privately would have preferred to go with Allardyce but a pre-emptive campaign against that from fans (probably unheard of before at Rovers) put him off. Basically whichever melon started that facebook group nearly got us relegated in 08/09.

JW said in an interview why he appointed Ince. Because the young, hungry manager with a desire to play good football approach had worked with Hughes and he wanted to repeat it. Personally I think he privately would have preferred to go with Allardyce but a pre-emptive campaign against that from fans (probably unheard of before at Rovers) put him off. Basically whichever melon started that facebook group nearly got us relegated in 08/09.

Could it have been a pigs foot maybe? I dont think that lot would have our best interests at heart and whichever numpty started that certainly didn't either.

btw JW goofed big time. I can only think that he must have forgotten to look in the eyes.

Personally I think he privately would have preferred to go with Allardyce but a pre-emptive campaign against that from fans (probably unheard of before at Rovers) put him off. Basically whichever melon started that facebook group nearly got us relegated in 08/09.

You obviously don't have that high an opinion of JW if you think he'd be swayed by a few plebs on FB.

At the time, I remember Shearer on MOTD saying he'd received a call from JW but turned him down. I think this proves that he always intended to go down the young manager route. However, JW had obviously been a victim of the body snatchers if he thought Ince or Shearer were the right men for the job.

Archived