BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren Out

I've said it before, I like to watch England, hope they win but when they let us down don't really care. Losing to Chelsea will be many many times worse than when England go out of a major tournament.

What annoyed me last night was the fact that McClaren took Nugent and had both him and Defoe on the bench. We were absolutely punchless for whole the game and it took until 80 minutes for one of them to come off the bench. Even then Defoe replaced aother striker in AJ.

For all his faults, had it been a Souness team that really had to win that game we'd have had 4 strikers on by 80 minutes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's bordering on blasphemy to say this ...but the one manager around who can consistently motivate his players to play open , aggressive , British style football is Alex Ferguson . He simply would not tolerate performances like that garbage yesterday .........

Bored. England team I would have gone for:

-------------Rooney----Johnson

Downing--Hargreaves--Gerrard---Lennnon

--Barry----Ferdinand----Terry---Richards

----------------------Robinson

Subs: Foster, Carragher, Neville, Lampard, Carrick, Dyer, Defoe

At least with two fullbacks who would push on we could hope to stretch Israel. And the whole team would be in little doubt that they could be substituted such was the strength of the bench.

We lack quality players in key positions- up fron to partner Rooney and left wing in particular - but that XI is a good enough team to beat most sides in the world.

- edit: Of course Ferguson would be brilliant for England, but there is no chance in hell he would take the job. Same goes for Wenger.

I would have probably made a couple of changes to the team McClaren picked yesterday.

I would have gone with Gerrard in the middle and I would have Lampard on the bench. There seems to be a lack of fluency with England's performances and that stems from playing certain players out of position (it happens too often).

Dare I say it but for a long time now I have felt that certain English players are not that good. Everyone goes on about England having world class players but all too often a lot of them cannot step up to the mark, and make a real impact at international level.

Oh how the mighty fall. This goes to prove that you appoint the best man for the job rather than appointing purely on nationality. If scolari had the job i believe we would be in a much stronger position.

McClaren hasn't got the abilities to take england forward and he didn't have them before. Sooner he leaves the better.

Bored. England team I would have gone for:

-------------Rooney----Johnson

Downing--Hargreaves--Gerrard---Lennnon

--Barry----Ferdinand----Terry---Richards

----------------------Robinson

Subs: Foster, Carragher, Neville, Lampard, Carrick, Dyer, Defoe

At least with two fullbacks who would push on we could hope to stretch Israel. And the whole team would be in little doubt that they could be substituted such was the strength of the bench.

We lack quality players in key positions- up fron to partner Rooney and left wing in particular - but that XI is a good enough team to beat most sides in the world.

- edit: Of course Ferguson would be brilliant for England, but there is no chance in hell he would take the job. Same goes for Wenger.

Heskey/Davies

Rooney

Downing Hargreaves Gerrard Lennnon

Warnock Ferdinand Terry Richards

Robinson

Yes, yes, I know Heskey and Davies are pants. The thing is, with all these pacey wide players overlapping you need someone in the box to convert all these chances. Johnson and Rooney are simply too small and lightweight to pose a threat in the box. Not to mention, it gives you a second option - rather than having to play the ball into the channels/into feet, you can play the ball over the top and look for the knock down.

That said, the basic premise for any English team is to simply play at Premiership pace. Few teams could live with us if we do. Instead we play at a much slower, deliberate tempo, which we don't have the technical ability to do.

I just don't understand it.

You have a left footed player in Gareth Barry, who scores lots of goals for Villa, all be it a lot of those are penalties, but you play right footed Carragher. Then you have miles better players than Phil Neville but you play him.

Then you're drawing 0-0 in a game which you have dominated possesion wise, but you wait til the 80th minute to make changes. Even then, one of those changes is to put a defender on, even though he can be a quite attacking defender.

You leave players on the pitch who are totally under performing and take off people like AJ and Lennon who looked more of a threat.

You then have gerrard playing out of position, when he is arguably our best and most passionate player.

How does this make sense?

Not only that but how long has the debate over Gerrard/Lampard playing together been going on? Trying them in different positions each game isn't working. Either play them both in the middle, which is their strongest positions, and find a way to get them to play together, or have the balls to try a run of games with one in the middle with Hargreaves and drop the other to the bench. Surely a run of games with just one playing will end this long running, now tedious debate.

Also, not be biased here, but Bentley had another great game for the U21's, why not give him a shot!

This is all a touch harsh on McClaren....i'm more annoyed at the F.A.

Everyman and his dog could see he wasnt good enough last season when he guided boro to midtable mediocrity....so who knows what the hell the FA saw in the guy.....

just another poor appointment from the FA....in fact i think the last manager i was actually happy to have was Venebles in 2006.

They dont have the balls to sack him though unless we fail to qualify....which, as bad as it is, i hope we dont.

Barry has been in fine form this season, and should have started at LB.

And how Downing gets near the Boro squad, nevermind the English camp is beyond me!

Basically whilst not a great player he is a naturally left footed, left sided englishmen. In the absence of Ashley Cole Warnock, Barry and Downing should all be in the squad. One centre half from 3 (either Carragher, Woodgate, Terry, Ferdinand) Lampard, Dyer, Parker and Phil Neville should be out of it. Gerrard should be vying for the attacking midfield role with Joe Cole when he returns from injury. Last night Carrick (with Israel never likely to offer much threat) would have been better suited than Hargreaves. With Crouch out injured Kevin Davies should be the target man. He's about the best we have at holding off centre halves whilst holding the ball up for the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Cole, Defoe etc. Oh and 'Flying Pig' Robinson does not fill me with confidence one bit.

When Sven was in charge qualifiying was just a bit of fun, now IF we qualify it will be a massive thing, thats how crap he is, there's Sven beating Germany 5-1 on there own patch and heres Mclaren who cant beat Macedonia at HOME!!!!

Even IF we do qualify we wont go far with that pig in charge.

We need a manager with Balls.

Some one who can pick a team to win a game, not pick all the big name stars and try and cobble a formation together.

For the sake of the national game someones ego needs to be deflated. We need strong leadership, a balanced team with passion and grit.

We currently have none of the above.

We need a Tardis and Brian Clough from around 1976-81. Give him a year to adapt to modern football, and we'd crush the opposition. I agree with Azurri, we need a manager with talent, who will say, "this is how it should be done, I shall do X,Y and Z, and I will win." Maybe Jose should step in when he gets sacked in the summer. Or Lippi, should he be a quick learner of languages.

I think the faster hes out the better. Even if we write off euro 2008, the future is still bright. Look at the players coming through. We just need a manager who knows what hes doing and can make us a force in the future. The team he has to go with surely when everyone is fit is,

Rooney Owen

Cole Hargreaves Gerrard Lennon

Cole Terry Ferdinand Neville

Robinson

I dont see how that can be improved amongst our current bunch. Everyone wants it. JUST FRIGGIN PLAY IT YOU PONCE!

Look at the under 21s though, there is some serious talent coming through. Huddlestone, Bentley, Walcott, M Richards, Nugent, Lita, Reo Coker,

As i said when everyone is fit. He still has a hell of alot at his disposal however!

Rooney Defoe

lennon Hargreaves Gerrard Bentley/Beckham

Warnock Terry Ferdinand Richard

Robinson

again whats wrong with playing players where there effective even in an injury crisis

Blue & white specs on.............

Is Stephen Warnock an option. Left footed, can play leftback or left midfield?

McClown needs to drop his lazy & disinterested players who think that they have an automatic right to get a place. Gerrard & Fat Frank can be discarded as useless. Bring in some young players who actually give a damn.

Going to put the washing out on the line now........

I think the faster hes out the better. Even if we write off euro 2008, the future is still bright. Look at the players coming through. We just need a manager who knows what hes doing and can make us a force in the future. The team he has to go with surely when everyone is fit is,

Rooney Owen

Cole Hargreaves Gerrard Lennon

Cole Terry Ferdinand Neville

Robinson

I dont see how that can be improved amongst our current bunch. Everyone wants it. JUST FRIGGIN PLAY IT YOU PONCE!

Look at the under 21s though, there is some serious talent coming through. Huddlestone, Bentley, Walcott, M Richards, Nugent, Lita, Reo Coker,

I can't see the U21 players you mentioned being as good as this generation of players is supposedly

The last WC and this 08 tournament is when this team should have peaked

He's that crap, he's actually made me disinterested in England now. I couldn't care less until he leaves. That's some achievement given that I like to watch the team.

What is the point of getting rid of Sven and appointing Sven Mk2? That man couldn't find his winky with both hands and a rubber fanny.

it's proving that Mclaren was a very bad choice by the FA, his team selection and tatics on Saturday were a joke. The guy might have desire, but i think he is miles away of becoming a top class coach

why play lennon on the left, when he is far more effective on the Right, and we had Barry in the squad who could have easily played there and helped us give more width in our play, which we were badly lacking

Archived