BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Full Members Cup

That 1/4 of the Kippax was great, I used to love City away!

Indeed it was - hardly any segregation from the citeh lot.

Most away ends were great in those days - Bradford was always good, and loved the south coast away days. We always seemend to be there when it was sunny and always took a great following.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed it was - hardly any segregation from the citeh lot.

Most away ends were great in those days - Bradford was always good, and loved the south coast away days. We always seemend to be there when it was sunny and always took a great following.

How about The North Bank at Wolves or the open end at Huddersfield - usually in a blizzard!

or the open end at Huddersfield - usually in a blizzard!

There used to be more open ends than covered. Never wore more than a Tee shirt and denim jacket though. Gutted I never went in the cowshed at Huddersfield. Happy days.

There used to be more open ends than covered. Never wore more than a Tee shirt and denim jacket though. Gutted I never went in the cowshed at Huddersfield. Happy days.

Did anybody on here do the "Green Goddess" style aerobics at Leeds Road in a snowstorm? Cant remember the exact year but it was mentioned in the national press!

How about The North Bank at Wolves or the open end at Huddersfield - usually in a blizzard!

I remember standing on that exposed away end at Huddersfield in a blizzard!

Everyone was huddled together like penguins in Antarctica on that terrace. Rovers won, and a huge conga was started up and down the icy steps.

At half time we found a working light bulb in the bogs behind the stand - I remember half a dozen blokes squeezed in there tying to warm their hands round it!

I remember standing on that exposed away end at Huddersfield in a blizzard!

Everyone was huddled together like penguins in Antarctica on that terrace. Rovers won, and a huge conga was started up and down the icy steps.

At half time we found a working light bulb in the bogs behind the stand - I remember half a dozen blokes squeezed in there tying to warm their hands round it!

I remember the Huddersfied game - wasnt it the game after the Boro boxing day game? I remember it was so cold I turned my blackburn coachlines carrier bag into a hat. Dangerous and I looked a plonker but it did the trick!

Wolves away was great - the steepest away end ever!

Also remember West Brom away when Tony Finnegan went clean through in the last minute at 2-2 and inexplicably turned round and passed it back to Gennoe at the other end of the pitch!

The Full Members Cup Final ? What you doing going there son, Charlton are going to spank you ! The words of a master at arms as I filled my 2 days leave request in in order to leave The Rock of Gibraltar to get to London.

Really Master ? We will see about that just you sign on the dotted line mate and I'm off, oh by the way, just extend my return time to 1000 due to the raf monkeys probable delay in coming back ! Was the swift reply from me as I donned my blue and white halves, got my passport and bank card and a change of undies.

So it was off to the raf base, hopped on a flight for FREE and arrived in London where Covent Garden was awash with Blue and White. A right good sing song and an early night in ready for the final.

The day of the final was over so fast. Not a good game but a fantastic winner and the celebrations of 30000 plus fans was a sight to behold. How many Charlton fans went? Not so bloody many.

Having finally got out of Wembley we headed over to Leicester square for the night and got rat arsed. Stayed the night on a freebie at the Kensington (10 of us in a room !) and eventually arrived back in Gib the following morning where the MAA just couldnt resist in trying to give me some extra punishment for being 35 minutes late ! the charlton supporting muppet made my life hell for all of 25 minutes before I preewnted him with every morning paper report of how mighty BRFC had won the FMC.

Great memories and as some say the rebirth of BRFC

I'll never forget that Stoke away game. We'd gone 23 games unbeaten, were odds on for promotion, and took thousands away from home with us every other week. A great time to be a Rovers fan.

I remember Don Mackay coming out after the game and walking across the pitch clapping us. After a defeat. You just felt closer to the team back then.

The Villa game just before when we won 3-2 was an incredible match. Not sure I've ever seen Ewood as full as it was that day. I think the official attendance was 19,000 but I'd love to know the real figure. You couldn't move.

Remember that, it was packed beyond belief against Villa, might be my memory here but was the Riverside still closed at that time? If it was (as I think so), with a gate of 19K no wonder it was crammed! Was about 13 at the time, stood at the back of the Blackburn end, nearly suffocated!!

Those were fantatic days, you did feel closer then, smaller club and all that probably. One thing that I always found amazing in those days was our away support, it was unreal, especially when looked at in context to our home crowds.

We also had some great away followings in the early days of Dalglish in Div. 2 as well. For me Port Vale away midweek and Barnsley away on a Sat. afternoon stick in my mind. It seemed like there were more away fans than home at Oakwell. I remember driving into the ground with my dad, it was gridlocked with Rovers fans and all the people were stood at their front doors in amazment at the number of fans we'd brought - the convoy of away travel coaches stretched as far as you could see!

Great days, think I'll just sit a think of them for a while now, it'll soon be home time :)

Also remember West Brom away when Tony Finnegan went clean through in the last minute at 2-2 and inexplicably turned round and passed it back to Gennoe at the other end of the pitch!

Midweek game this If I am corret and -One of the weirdest things I have ever seen in Football - the infamous midlands Police where out to get the Rovers that night for anything or thats what it felt like.

Back to the full members - my flag is in the Wardrobe.

Anyway back to the Town Hall presentation - does anybody remember Hendry drooping his pants on the balcony to reveal the Tartan boxers?

The link was nice to listen to again Krillin, I bought the audio tape as a 14 year old back in '87 and used to listen to it over and over again just to hear the roar from the Rovers following when Hendry's rocket hit the back of the net!

Who was to have known that the club would change so much in the following years.

Great memories of the day from page 18 onwards!

The link was nice to listen to again Krillin, I bought the audio tape as a 14 year old back in '87 and used to listen to it over and over again just to hear the roar from the Rovers following when Hendry's rocket hit the back of the net!

Who was to have known that the club would change so much in the following years.

Great memories of the day from page 18 onwards!

Blimey, there were some tight kecks in those photos! :blink: How on earth did we father children?

Still got a VHS video recording of the FMC final. Still got the programme & souvenir winners magazine thing...with lots of photos in. (Me & my uncle are on one of the shots)

Twoz a great day & still have fond memories.

and where are all these 'golden oldies' in the away support now??? Frowning on younger fans doing the exact same as what they did in their younger era I presume. I really do have to laugh at how when it used to be boystrious on the stands it was all good but now its frowned upon straight away! practice what you preach and all that milarky.....

The Full members Cup Final is a reminder that Rovers could sell out for OT if it weren`t for the red tape that goes with big games now. We have the support in place but we have all these restrictions that the "ordinary" fan feels they cant be bothered with the hastle of getting a ticket.

and where are all these 'golden oldies' in the away support now??? Frowning on younger fans doing the exact same as what they did in their younger era I presume. I really do have to laugh at how when it used to be boystrious on the stands it was all good but now its frowned upon straight away! practice what you preach and all that milarky.....

Well Sibbald in 20 years time you will find that there are demands on your wallet that preclude attendance at away games particularly at today's prices!

Much of this thread was made up of a few lads having a trip down memory lane. I really dont think anyone was having a pop at today's late teens/early 20's support. I see entusiastic young fans being bullied by Stewards and it annoys me but there are far more families at games now than there were 20 odd years ago and that needs to be bourne in mind. I understand that young fans have many obsticles put in their way these days that make getting to and enjoying games difficult but in the 80's we didn't get to see the likes of Henry and Ronaldo!

Many of the posts on this thread viewed the 80's through rose tinted glasses mine included. There were far too many negatives about football in that era to list here.

Enjoy your football for what it is now, just like we did in the 80's.

(our away support was phenomenal back then though!)

i remember this day very well, as it was my first trip to wembley at the age of 11 years old. i stayed at my uncle's place, and we went down to london, very early on one of the coaches ( i think). as a matter of fact, i don't remember how we got to london, just that it was a very early start. standing right at the back, opposite the tunnel and when windy got away down the right for one of his trade mark runs.....i thought "gee, this looks good". then when the big scot volleyed it home off the post, at the time i was rather happy, if it happened again at the age i am now....i would be absolutely bollockowed, within a few hrs.

Well Sibbald in 20 years time you will find that there are demands on your wallet that preclude attendance at away games particularly at today's prices!

Much of this thread was made up of a few lads having a trip down memory lane. I really dont think anyone was having a pop at today's late teens/early 20's support. I see entusiastic young fans being bullied by Stewards and it annoys me but there are far more families at games now than there were 20 odd years ago and that needs to be bourne in mind. I understand that young fans have many obsticles put in their way these days that make getting to and enjoying games difficult but in the 80's we didn't get to see the likes of Henry and Ronaldo!

Many of the posts on this thread viewed the 80's through rose tinted glasses mine included. There were far too many negatives about football in that era to list here.

Enjoy your football for what it is now, just like we did in the 80's.

(our away support was phenomenal back then though!)

Point taken, got the wrong end of the stick :wstu:

Remember that, it was packed beyond belief against Villa, might be my memory here but was the Riverside still closed at that time? If it was (as I think so), with a gate of 19K no wonder it was crammed! Was about 13 at the time, stood at the back of the Blackburn end, nearly suffocated!!

The Riverside was shut by then and by the time of the Villa visit they had painted a thermometer outside the Nuttal Street Stand to show how far along the 'Riverside Appeal' had reached. Every time they got an extra few grand they had to paint a couple of degrees more Celsius in red!

That game had one of the best atmospheres I can remember at Ewood although there weren't 19k on...seem to recall it being a little over 17k.

Archived