BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Random Rabbit Thread

I've not started any stupid threads in ages but I have decided that I want to get a house rabbit - this house rabbit will live between my house and school (kind of like joint custody!)

Has anyone ever had a house rabbit before - I live in a flat and so it will bounce around the flat most of the time - but it will also join me at work and have free run of the courtyard. Are they easy to toilet train? How do you stop them chewing wires??

My biggest problem is what to name him - I wanted to name him after a Rovers player and intially I was drawn to calling him Robbie Rabbit - but the problem with that is that all my kids are blues fans and will probably kick the ###### out of it!

What else could I call him - And I dont think pie or stew is acceptable!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've not started any stupid threads in ages but I have decided that I want to get a house rabbit - this house rabbit will live between my house and school (kind of like joint custody!)

Has anyone ever had a house rabbit before - I live in a flat and so it will bounce around the flat most of the time - but it will also join me at work and have free run of the courtyard. Are they easy to toilet train? How do you stop them chewing wires??

Don't do it. A rabbit is mentally wired to be outside in a field somewhere. They are not domesticated. They do not like human company. They may look cute, but they do not take to being inside and "domesticated." Forget "Thumper" from "Bambi."

Dogs are OK to be domesticated; cats just take you for a free meal 24/7 and laugh in your face; horses are OK if you can afford them, snakes & lizards are too stupid to know anything; but rabbits, like hamsters just live their pet-like existance in a constant state of abject terror of humans. Lord knows what they will do when confronted by a class of seven years olds

Basically they sh*t themselves every time you go near them because they think you are going to kill them.

Try a Yorkshire Terrier instead.

We have friends who had a "house-trained" rabbit. It lived in a hutch in the kitchen !! The house smelt of damp straw all the time, and catching the thing was a nightmare. Don't do it. Guinea pigs are good.

I once 'shared' a guinea pig with the children's school. Great pet, loved the children and being made a fuss of.

Don't try gerbils. I looked after the school gerbils, started with two, went back with twelve...... Very entertaining little things though but don't rule out finding one attached painfully to the end of your thumb when cleaning the cage out :ph34r: .

BTW if you chose guinea pigs get at least two as they are very sociable. Males living together need to be from the same litter, less important for females. Don't mix the sexes, they breed like..........well, rabbits. The males will happily mate with their own offspring at the first opportunity, two rapidly become a small herd.

I used to show rabbits as a hobby. Had 30 odd of them at one time and was a judge. I would never have one in the house though.

If you must make sure you get the right breed. Polish and Netherland Dwarfs are small and look appealing but can be vicious, particularly the Polish. They move like lightening and will have a piece out of your finger as soon as look at you.

Dwarf Lops in my opinion make the best pets and if you are only having one get a buck. Just like humans they are generally better tempered than does but don't get two bucks to keep together as they tend to fight.

The fur breeds also tend to be docile but moult all the time.

My best advice is not to keep a rabbit in the house. They do tend to smell and chew wires.

I had a house rabbit, she was the best pet in the world ever, but the ex got custody..........BITCH!!!!

Anyway, we found her very easy to house train, she had a litter tray in her cage and would always go back into the cage to use it. Look out for any cables, Tigger managed to chew her way through several of them, mainly broadband cables so nothing too dangerous.

How old are the kids in your school? If they're young/gullible enough, just call the rabbit "Killer" and make up a few stories about him and where the bodies were found.

They might not want to kick the cr@p out of him anymore after that.

And is it true if he finds a female rabbit, there'll be 2 more on a Monday, 4 on a Tuesday, 8 on a Wednesday or does their mating regime follow a more fibonacci sequence?

How about Flopsy, after the esteemed moderator ? Similar in looks and both have little use .

Given that a few dogooders on here think its cruel to cage poor cute bunny rabbits, how about forgetting the idea and instead just put Flopsy in a cage ;)

How old are the kids in your school? If they're young/gullible enough, just call the rabbit "Killer" and make up a few stories about him and where the bodies were found.

They might not want to kick the cr@p out of him anymore after that.

monty_python_rabbit.jpg

:unsure:

Obviously inspired by Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!"

But rabbits aren't rodents! :ph34r:

As for the question I agree with the posters who say keeping rabbits indoors is cruel. Rabbits need a lot more space than most people think, Guinea pigs can adjust to indoor life a lot better than a rabbit.

Thank You for all your helpful and no so helpful comments! Although I think you lot have missed the point of this question! I am not asking whether or not I should get one - this isn't in question. I AM getting a rabbit and it will live with me in my flat at the weekend and spend the week at school out in the courtyard (which the children aren't allowed in!)

As for the flat not being big enough it is bigger than some gardens so that should be enough hopping when not at school!

Still not really come up with a good name - some one has suggested Bentley! And that moved on to Bentley Wood because if you say that together it makes Ewood!

I have spoken to the Bunny sanctuary and they were fine with me having a house rabbit - they said it was common practice. The rabbit will also come and spend weekends in Blackburn with Mum and Dad who have a big garden!

Still not really come up with a good name - some one has suggested Bentley! And that moved on to Bentley Wood because if you say that together it makes Ewood!

...well it sounds suspiciously like Bent Ewood which may cause a few sniggers in your class. Especially amongst the monkeys.

Archived