BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Club Shop ?

the FA likes to complicate simple things. We were drawn as the home team and will have the home changing rooms, but we lost the coin toss for the right to wear blue colours.

what a silly affair. I doubt anyone gives a flying monkeys about having the home changing room at a ground that isn't ours, it would still feel like playing away. the home draw should be the right to wear home colours.

yet another FA bafoonary

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the February Fans Forum minutes as posted on the BRISA website

6.Club Shop & Merchandising Issues

MH stated that fans were very disillusioned with the club shop run by SWI , which was now little more than a normal high street sports shop and offered very little in terms of Rovers merchandise. JB also had a number of specific complaints from fans. The club were also dissatisfied with the current situation. They had a lucrative long term contract which they would not be able to replicate managing the store themselves. The contract contained a commitment to Rovers merchandise and percentage of floor space. They were working with SWI to resolve the various issues but were unable to give any more information or commit to a timetable for a resolution.

Basically, The Club ain't interested. They have made the shop someone else's problem and are more than happy to accept the rent etc. in return for the lack of hassle from a proper merchandising outlet.

SportsWorld ain't interested in selling Rovers souvenirs as they make more from LONSDALE hoodies than from mini kits. Let's face it, if they can't be arsed to respond to the obvious selling opportunity of an FA Cup Semi they certainly won't be too bothered about expanding their range into other Rovers related stuff.

Both parties pay lip service only to the 'Club Shop' aspect but it's clear that neither could really give a toss as to what the fans want.

The best you will get is the mass of 'pint of tea' mugs and a supply of replica shirts for next season.

Available about Christmas.

Maybe.

My one man protest outside the shop will be put on hold me thinks. Last thing l want is some sort of banning order and not being allowed within 100 yards of Ewood :unsure: The online petition is a start, and l know BRISA brought this issue up and it's driving people mad on here, especially with the semi coming up and no dedicated mercahandise (at Ewood anyway). If anyone can come up with any ideas to highlight this to the general Ewood crowd (and not jsut BRFCS members) then speak up. Gonna look into leaflets of some description. Obviously l'll be checking out the legal consequences of this first :ph34r:

Basically, The Club ain't interested. They have made the shop someone else's problem and are more than happy to accept the rent etc. in return for the lack of hassle from a proper merchandising outlet.

I was at this meeting and the subsequent one when the issue was raised again. Far from being uninterested the club are deeply disappointed with the situation and fully aware of how poorly this reflects on Rovers. Both JW and TF want to see something done but, as is the way with these things, negotiations with major companies such as SWI take time. Don't forget SWI has also been preparing for a stock exchange floatation and will be concentrating in other areas.

Having said that if the club stimulated the merchandise on offer for the semi, it doesn't back up the above. Went into the shop yesterday ready to spend. First I had to ask where the semi-final merchandise was displayed, (it's behind the counter), second it's tat and I left after buying nothing.

I was at this meeting and the subsequent one when the issue was raised again. Far from being uninterested the club are deeply disappointed with the situation and fully aware of how poorly this reflects on Rovers. Both JW and TF want to see something done but, as is the way with these things, negotiations with major companies such as SWI take time. Don't forget SWI has also been preparing for a stock exchange floatation and will be concentrating in other areas.

One view could be that they should have thought about this when selling the rights to SWI. Surely it would have been prudent to have clauses in the contract for such an eventuality that people want to buy a wide variety or Rovers merchandise 12 months of the year (not just SWI tat) AND for special occasions such as an FA Cup Semi final! (Christmas, births etc etc)

If there are clauses in the contract surely SWI will be gone in the summer? If they're aren't then what were they thinking?!? As for SWI preparing for a stock exchange floatation - I'll just check my giveoshitometer.

An even harsher view would be that the club talks a good game and that they really can't be bothered. You can understand people thinking this really. I appreciate that there are legalities but just discussing this at the Fans Forum doesn't get the message out to the fan base does it?

The shop is a disgrace and if the deal was for 10 years (as was originally mooted at the time) then it's nothing short of scandalous.

OK, that's better. Good news is that the suns out, there's a home match in just over 6 hours and postie has just delivered the Semi Final Tickets!

An even harsher view would be that the club talks a good game and that they really can't be bothered. You can understand people thinking this really.

I hope that's not the case but I can see why people may take that view. If the club are unhappy they will have to deliver at some point in the near future.

OK, that's better. Good news is that the suns out, there's a home match in just over 6 hours and postie has just delivered the Semi Final Tickets!

Snap!

The shop is a disgrace and if the deal was for 10 years (as was originally mooted at the time) then it's nothing short of scandalous.

If this is true then why dont the club look into the possibility of building a dedicated 'Roverstore' at the Darwen end of the ground?...even after the Sportsworld deal has finished the BBE store could be again leased out or turned into a restaurant/night club,extra ticket office space or the best idea of all, setting up the much mooted and long overdue Rovers museum.....there are many,many possibilities!

I'm sure the 10 years thing was banded about at the time. I don't want to give out the wrong info. Does anyone else remember "10 years" being mentioned or am I just plucking random numbers out of the air? Help!

Went to Lillywhites in London yesterday - now run by Sportsworld. The suprise was that they had Rovers merchandise in stock - much more than 3 (or was it 4?) years ago when we were there. The shame was that there was much more Birmingham City stuff for sale. For Rovers they had the home, away and last season's away (much uglier in person) shirts, plus some shorts. They had a few other jackets and a fleece for sale, but they were the ugly grey ones. It almost looks like they took some standard Lonsdale gray apparel and stuck the Rovers logo on it.

Luckily Soccer Scene had the Toffs centenary retro shirt...

I'm sure the 10 years thing was banded about at the time. I don't want to give out the wrong info. Does anyone else remember "10 years" being mentioned or am I just plucking random numbers out of the air? Help!

Yes Bob, I remember the contract being more than 10 yrs, - 11 or 12 yrs was mentioned on here.

I haven't got a clue as to how accurate that was, though.

Maybe I've been jaded by my chosen profession but, in my experience, the purpose of a contract is to have a means of getting out of a commitment at some point in the future rather than establishing mutual obligations & commitments. On this basis, if the club want to exit the SWI contract then they will be able to somehow as there will be clauses on duration, termination, breach, scope and performance (amongst others) most of which usually offer some escape route - unless of course somebody at the club has been very commercially naive (perish the thought)!!

Just noticed this question to Ian Holloway and it sounds like even the mighty Plymouth have a better shop than we do:-

DHFC 1983: "Ollie: Me and a few friends have started visiting Plymouth once a month and I thought I'd get an Argyle shirt. I was shocked to discover no local sports shops sold them. Chelsea, Man Utd, AC Milan - but no Plymouth.

Are the residents of Plymouth a bunch of glory hunters, or are the Argyle missing a trick? Could you let me know where to get one from? And will you sign it?!"

Answer:-

All your Plymouth needs taken care of

You've gotta get one from the club shop and I will definitely sign it for you. I don't know if we're missing out in the town but we do quite well in our club shop. We like to get all sorts in - not just shirts but loads of different trinketry.

We've got everything from cufflinks to champagne glasses and whisky tumblers, so get on down to Home Park and we'll sort you out and show you a right good time!

I have to say i wasnt all that happy with the shop AFTER i visited other club shops. Of corse i say after being as i hadnt even been into a club shop of any sort till that wonderful day at EWood.I mean WATFORD even has a better shop then ours, WATFORD!!! I have now hit all the london clubs minus Reading( which im going to on Saturday) and am VERY disapointed in what we have as a shop. I mean i have all the bags from the shops i have already visited and im saving for when i go home and of all the bags ours is the only one thats DOES NOT have a our club logo on it. I mean if you didnt know any better you would think it was a bag you got when you went to one of those london gift shops. Poor and sad to see of a club we all love so much :( *sniff* *tear falls down my check*

:rover: i heard on sat,that the club shop will be back next season with a new shirt maker :rolleyes: umbro :brfc:

I thought that we had already been through this? I am sure someone mentioned somewhere that Umbro was part of the sportsworld group along with Lonsdale?

Can anyone confirm?

I tried to buy a football top for my girlfriend as she coming to watch the game next week in Manc, but they do not have anything in stock. Its bad when your team are in the S-finals and they are not doing enough for the fans.

Are you saying that you couldn't even buy a Blackburn Rovers shirt, leading up to a semi final? That's nothing short of disgraceful!!!

I had a separate confirmation, unprompted, in a conversation at work this week...next seasons' shirt will have the Umbro badge on it.

When I first saw the possibility on the old thread I thought YEAH we're getting out of the Sportsworld contract, then I remembered that someone in the trade (I work in retail) once told me that Sportsworld Intl had a license agreement that enabled them to make & sell items badged as Umbro under a certain price point. Now he's also a rather large shareholder in the company, possibly even more so given his recent flotation (he has just bought a couple of percent of Adidas with his new found riches) so that's how it can be happening folks, better "brand" same old same old I'm afraid.

Why do we put up with this rubbish?? if this was Man utd, Liverpool or Newcastle for example the shop wouldn't even have windows left to display the rubish in it. I'm not suggesting anything just making a point. The club have lost out whatever way you look at it, fans let down is not worth more than a few extra quid in rent from that cack

Well done Roversmum, this topic has been a bone of contention for me over the last couple of seasons. It is not just the store at Rovers which is rubbish, but also the Club shop online. Whilst I have never had the problem with purchasing anything for me, it has been a problem for many others that I know. As a supporter who lives in south wales I would love to be there week in week out but I cant and thus I purchase stuff online. My problem which i have encountered is that there is never anything for women. I tried to buy a football top for my girlfriend as she coming to watch the game next week in Manc, but they do not have anything in stock. Its bad when your team are in the S-finals and they are not doing enough for the fans.

Whilst its great the club have reduced ticket prices, why don't they put some money towards the promotion of the club and some decent merchandising. Why is it that Man Utd, Everton, Man City Newcastle etc are popular, because they promote their clubs better than Rovers.

Sort it out Rovers.

Quite agree about the online situation, don't know if the shop has more stuff than online but it's an outrage not being able to buy the season review DVD! I have everything up to 1998 which is when I emigrated and nothing since then. I posted this in the comments on the petition:

"The lack of items available online is very poor. I am a Blackburnian living in Australia and do all shopping online for Rovers stuff. I cannot even buy Season Review DVD's! Years ago we could get mugs, pin badges, mouse mats, mulitmedia discs, a HUGE variety of clothing, posters, stickers, flags, penants, door mats, stationery etc. Now all we have is replica kits and a few items of sportsgear. Bring back the quality and quantity - advertising is a huge part for any club - I am a Rovers ambassador "down-under" and I don't even have a penant in my house! Please sort this situation out."

The last time I was in the club shop was in 1997 and it was great back then, even exiled to Surrey I could still get loads of stuff online or by catalogue. I want to get my 1 year old niece a replica kit (convert them early!), I want to watch the glory of our last season, I want some decent multimedia stuff (icons, screensavers etc.), I WANT TO SHOW I AM A BLOODY LOYAL ROVERS FANATIC!!! :angry:

I had a separate confirmation, unprompted, in a conversation at work this week...next seasons' shirt will have the Umbro badge on it.

When I first saw the possibility on the old thread I thought YEAH we're getting out of the Sportsworld contract, then I remembered that someone in the trade (I work in retail) once told me that Sportsworld Intl had a license agreement that enabled them to make & sell items badged as Umbro under a certain price point. Now he's also a rather large shareholder in the company, possibly even more so given his recent flotation (he has just bought a couple of percent of Adidas with his new found riches) so that's how it can be happening folks, better "brand" same old same old I'm afraid.

Whilst Sportworld do have a license agreement with Umbro to make bottom end products, this excludes team kits, so Umbro will be making the kit. Same fabric and same factory as the England kit. Sportsworld will have nothing to do with it.

If the deal ever goes through. There are apparently problems over getting Sportworld out of the shop.

Okay, RDU, fair passionate piece but there is a simple answer re the DVD. Write to the club and ask them to sort out mailing you a copy - Lynsey Talbot is the lady you need ( John Williams' PA) email: LTalbot@rover-mail.co.uk. It isn't being sold by the shop but by the club and I'm sure there are still copies left. Whilst you are at it don't forget to mention the thoughts in your post.

Archived