BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rio, Ooh Ooh Ooh!

Liverpool's comeback in Turkey was still better and Celtic in '67

Liverpool's was an amazing comeback, but the performance itself wasn't great. They relied heavily on Dudek in extra time (I still have no idea how he kept that point black shot out) and they relied on a bit of luck for their goals.

Man Utd just tore Roma apart. They may have been deflated after the third goal, but no way did they give up after the first. Why would they? The first four goals were such fantastic quality, surely every football purist was purring after that first half.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree with that. Roma's goal wasn't that bad either. To score 7 goals against a team second in Serie A is an amazing achievement. I'm sure they could have scored more had they needed to and had they not made certain changes.

I said after they hammered us that they're the best English side I've ever seen and I was scoffed at.

If they're on form they're simply unplayable, but it's wonderful to watch.

You were scoffed at because its clearly no better than the Arsenal team who cantered to the title while remaining unbeaten three seasons ago and the last United side who simply steam-rolled everything in its path. Although saying that United were clearly awesome tonight once Roma rolled over early on. Rooney's first goal was amazing.

I will absolutely love it if Chelsea pip them to the title.

I'd prefer Man Utd to win it. I hate Chelsea miles more than them and United play miles better football. Utd have some tossers play for them (Ferdinand in particular) but Chelsea have Camp-ard, Terry, Cole, Drogba, Robben. I hope Utd win it out of the two...

Rovermatt, why? That's just nonsensical bias.

Man Utd are clearly a better more attractive team than Chelsea, it's a bit sad that you still want Chelsea, the Man Utd of teh South, to win the title.

It's not 'nonsensical bias'. I don't like United and I have no desire to see them win anything.

I've said before that I could understand the intense dislike of Man Utd. Obviously it was understandable back in the days of Kenny when we were rivals in terms of league position. But now, I cannot fathom why people would prefer the highly unpleasant Chelsea to win the title over a proper football club who play terrific attacking football and have some world class footballers who are model professionals - Scholes, Giggs etc.

Why have you put it in quotes?

You are biased against them, and it doesn't make sense. It's an irrational hatred.

They play far better football than Chelsea, have one of the best players in the World playing for them, if not the best, and deserve to win. Time to put aside petty grievances, take your hat off to them and say they deserve it.

I don't think it's the same as Rovers-Burnley, as there's never any danger of Burnley being that good.

I have to say you've got me there. When I hated them before, they were pretty crap, had no good players and played ugly football. And since I'm the only football fan around, apparently, who dislikes Manchester United I suppose it won't be too much of struggle.

What a very strange argument Bryan.

Does that mean many Rovers fans hate/dislike Burnley because they're not as good?

In the footballing world, it is quite rational to have a dislike for a particular team, and it is irrelevant how good they are (that can often fuel the contempt).

Here are some more Premiership teams I dislike

Newcastle & Tottingham

What you have to accept is that there are many intelligent people (maybe some more intelligent than you!) that hate Utd, it just adds colour to the whole football experience.

Maybe it's all this yoga I'm doing, it's chilling me out. I used to hate Man Utd ten years ago or so, but it didn't do too much for me.

I just think it's petty and small-minded.

Having a dislike for a particular team isn't rational unless there is a sensible reason for it, eg it's a dirty fouling team.

I do accept that there are many intelligent people (maybe some more intelligent than me!) that hate Utd. Good for them.

i just think it's silly to want the poorer footballing side to win, I think it's mean-spirited. Sorry if it offends.

No-one could possibly be more intelligent than Bryan! :P

Completely behind Rovermatt on this one. I too detest United, I don't really care whether it's rational or irrational, but viewed objectively, I suppose it is completely irrational bias.

Used to feel the same way about Burnley 25 years ago when we used to play them. Now I almost feel pity for them in a "they're really just another club from a small town like us" kind of way. Although I still delight in any misfortune they may suffer.

Guest shoppybrfc

Peoples hatred for United seems to have diminished with Chelsea coming along, Drogba and robben, two of the worst cheats in the league dont help, along with a super chavs Terry,Cole's and Fat Frank :D

The reason I don't particularly like Man U is down to ITV's painfully biased and almost small schoolboy trying to fit in with the older boys by overly exaggerating how fantastic they are.

As for the comment how Steve McClaren must be delighted 3 English players had scored, I’d be fuming at a performance like that. He should be wondering why they play like that for club but not county??

That said fantastic performance by Utd, first time in ages I’ve sat and actually watched a CL match in full for ages. If they put in those sorts of performances in the rest of the competition then good luck to them!!

I too hate the way the commentaters spunk there keks over Man u but I can't help admiring how they play. Anyone who thinks Chelsea could do that needs there head checking. If they don't think they could do that then still would prefer Chelsea to win then they must be absolutely off there heads. Utd have some real legends in there side, desite what they've earnt, Giggs, Scoles and (possibly) Neville are real football men, Scoles, Giggs and Ronaldo would have got in pretty much any team in history. I think Carrick is becoming some player for Man Utd too. Pirlo had some bad years too. Carrick played at the standard of Xavi and Pirlo last night and did so against us two weeks ago... People go on about Rooney this Season but he's scored his share too and is at a higher level than Henry was at the same age. Saying that, I thin Liverpool or Chelsea will win but I hope it's Man Utd - then we can see a great set of players win it...

Archived