BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Invasion From Charlton

One of my greatest memories in over 60 years of supporting Rovers is standing near the top of that steep open terracing at the Valley on a glorious sunny day in late April 1958 and witnessing the most heart stopping moments I can ever remember in Football. Charlton 2nd in the 2nd div and Rovers 3rd playing to see who would get promoted in this the last game of the season. Only one point separating the teams with West Ham already assured of the championship and that in the days when you only got 2 points for a win. Only the top two teams in each div got promotion and there were no play-offs in those days. Charlton only needed a draw as 1 point would send them up with WHam, so Rovers HAD to win.

I can remember waiting for a train on the old London Bridge station and the platform was absolutely filled with Rovers fans. You literally could not move and when the train came in it was every man for himself or get left to wait for the next one. Standing all the way to Charlton then joining in the throngs of Rovers fans heading for the Valley. When we got on the ground and fought our way to the top of the terracing it seemed as though the whole of Blackburn was on there. The noise level was terrific.

When the game got going we were given a sickener by an early goal for Charlton, and my heart sank thinking of yet another disappointment, but not for long!. Peter Dobing headed a brilliant goal to bring us level again. From there on the Rovers dominated the first half and by half time were leading 4-1. Rovers fans were celebrating and we all thought the game (and promotion) was in the bag.

Charlton obviously had other ideas and came out fighting for the second half and pounded the Rovers non-stop, but the Rovers held out until about 20 mins from time when Charlton Scored another; 2-4. This inspired Charlton still further and they threw everything at us. Then the inevitable happened. Our CH Matt Woods went in with a late challenge in the area. Penalty to Charlton! Hewie steps up and makes no mistake sending Harry Leyland the wrong way! 3-4 and only 5 mins left!!

That was the longest 5 mins of my life; bar none!! It felt more like 20 mins with Charlton pounding us and Rovers and their fans in a complete panic. But eventually the ref gave that so sweet long blast on his whistle and the Rovers were back in the 1st Div.

The celebrations that followed just had to be seen to be believed! We went mental, and it continued all through that Saturday night up the West End. It seemed like the whole centre of London had been taken over by cheering, singing, joyous Rovers fans. Every pub and bar that you went into was packed with Rovers fans. Our joy knew no bounds that night.

Now here is the strange coincidence between then and now. Back then, the previous match that Rovers played was on the Wednesday night just 3 days earlier and it was away to Fulham. Before that match kicked off, Rovers could have leapfrogged Charlton and gone into 2nd place if they won at Fulham. What did they do? They drew 1-1! Then they had to play and win at Charlton for the promotion spot. Is this an omen for this weekend?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My early experience of our rivalry with Rovers goes back to the 70s when we were both promoted from the old Third division along with Plymouth. That Charlton side is still fondly remembered by us Addicks. Is the Rovers team held in the same high rgard at Ewood?

:rover: was that flannagan and hales side :brfc:

or fans :P

I HATE CHARLTON :P I BLAME THEM FOR THE PAIN IVE SUFFERED SINCE EARLY DEC,WHEN THEY SCORED I PUNCHED THE WALL AND BROKE MY ARM,WRIST AND TORE MY CARTLIDGE AND RIPPED MY LIGAMENT OFF MY WRIST AND IM STILL AWAITING AN OP.

:lol: and i thought i was ###### off that night!

One of my greatest memories in over 60 years of supporting Rovers is standing near the top of that steep open terracing at the Valley on a glorious sunny day in late April 1958 and witnessing the most heart stopping moments I can ever remember in Football. Charlton 2nd in the 2nd div and Rovers 3rd playing to see who would get promoted in this the last game of the season. Only one point separating the teams with West Ham already assured of the championship and that in the days when you only got 2 points for a win. Only the top two teams in each div got promotion and there were no play-offs in those days. Charlton only needed a draw as 1 point would send them up with WHam, so Rovers HAD to win.

I. What did they do? They drew 1-1! Then they had to play and win at Charlton for the promotion spot. Is this an omen for this weekend?

Good post : fantastic day and one of the greatest matches in the history of Blackburn Rovers.

Always had a soft spot for Charlton ever since and if I had to support a London club (perish the thought), it would be them.

Hope there is a decent turnout of Rovers fans because there is a danger at present of our lot being outnumbered by opposition supporters.

If Rovers play like they did at Craven Cottage, we should win easily. If Rovers play like they did against West Ham, however .....

Latest news is that we have sold 5,300 tickets for the game.

Hope there is a decent turnout of Rovers fans because there is a danger at present of our lot being outnumbered by opposition supporters.

I'll have a little wager with you Jim. They wont outnumber us.

I can also remember standing on the huge terrace at the old Valley. My best friend at school was a Charlton fan (moved up when his dad was relocated to Liverpool in the mid 60s - that must have been some culture shock). We saw a drab 0-0 draw in October 1969, 2 out of 11,560 fans. Nevertheless that was good enough to take Rovers to the top of the Second Division so it was a pretty good day for me. As always around then we flattered to deceive and finished 8th.

Right then

I normally drive to Ewood, ditch the car, go to the game and then back out straight after. However, the Mrs has the car on Saturday to go shopping in................. Wigan, so I'm on the train.

Can anyone suggest pubs in the town centre where I might be able to catch either the Man U Everton or Chelsea Notlob games?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Right then

I normally drive to Ewood, ditch the car, go to the game and then back out straight after. However, the Mrs has the car on Saturday to go shopping in................. Wigan, so I'm on the train.

Can anyone suggest pubs in the town centre where I might be able to catch either the Man U Everton or Chelsea Notlob games?

Cheers :rolleyes:

"Pitchers" junction Railway Road/Salford. 2 mins walk through Bus Station.

5,600 tickets sold when the subsidised travel offer expired yesterday.

Got a horrible feeling that the attendance will only be 22,000. The chase for a European spot seems to be a complete turn-off for the Rovers fair weather support.

5,600 tickets sold when the subsidised travel offer expired yesterday.

Got a horrible feeling that the attendance will only be 22,000. The chase for a European spot seems to be a complete turn-off for the Rovers fair weather support.

Be more than that I think. It's a 15 quider 3pm on a sunny Saturday. I'm on nights and I'll be there! 25,000+

I rang today to get an additional seat for my Dad JW Upper and nearest seat to my season ticket was 2 rows back and that was only a single..

so I reckon 24k at least - £5 for best seat in the house for an oap is good value!

Fife Rover..."One of my greatest memories in over 60 years of supporting Rovers is standing near the top of that steep open terracing at the Valley on a glorious sunny day in late April 1958 and witnessing the most heart stopping moments I can ever remember in Football. "

A most enjoyable read Fife. :tu:

Just looked at my book...(last game of season)

April 26th 1958....Charlton Athletic 3 v 4 Blackburn Rovers (Dobing2, Vernon, Douglas (pen)

Att :- 56,435

Final table:-

1 West Ham 57pts

2 Blackburn 56pts

3 Charlton 55pts

4 Liverpool 54pts

5 Fulham 52pts

....football, alot more interesting than it seems today? :blink:

So whats your view on Rovers then addickjohn? what do you think of our team and shyte gates......dont hold back!

My view on Rovers? Well, firstly, I think all us smaller clubs should stick together so I have no particular animosity towards you lot. I visited Ewood for the first time last season and your team impressed me - Bellamy was brilliant thatday. This may seem sad but I do remember being impressed by how clean the toilets were :unsure:

Despite coming from South London I remember my best mate's dad being a Rovers fan and when I was a little older another good friend of mine was also from Blackburn (sadly I've lost touch with him now) and mad keen on Rovers.

In my early days of supporting Charlton it always seemed as though our matches were home bankers. Games I remember? The full members Cup final (terrible match, terrible result, but I never thought I'd ever see us play at Wembley - I took my wife to that game the only match she's ever been to - we're now divorced - coincidence? maybe not) Another game I wasn't present at was when we knocked you out of the Cup when you were flying high at the top of the Premiership, an amazing result for us!

So all in all some good memories of our tussles - i hope I'm smiling again on saturday.

A most enjoyable read Fife. :tu:

Just looked at my book...(last game of season)

April 26th 1958....Charlton Athletic 3 v 4 Blackburn Rovers (Dobing2, Vernon, Douglas (pen)

Att :- 56,435

Final table:-

1 West Ham 57pts

2 Blackburn 56pts

3 Charlton 55pts

4 Liverpool 54pts

5 Fulham 52pts

....football, alot more interesting than it seems today? :blink:

Thanks again Cletus, for me it was a most enjoyable day. Looking back and thinking about the whole of my Rovers watching experience, I would have to say that This match was my most exciting and enjoyable out of a long list of memorable matches.

As for football then being more interesting? That really is a difficult one to analyse and answer truthfully.

I would say that I was more excited about the prospect of going to watch Rovers in the early days (50's and 60's) than I am now, but that is probably due to my being young then and old now. The game then and now is in both cases exciting and interesting to me, but it is a different type of game altogether now. Faster and skillful in a way, but far more tactical and defence minded now, with fast passing (bit like pin-ball machine) but less individual skill in the sense of running with the ball and certainly less end to end play and less goal attempts on target these days.

I think one of the biggest differences from then to now is that EVERY team had wingers. Players who could run with the ball, get to the line and whip the ball in to a big centre forward.

There is nothing as exciting as watching a winger dribbling through the defence and beating the full backs.

Archived