BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

A fact that before last night no one would disagree with. I'm not saying United deserved to go through, because they didn't. That for me doesn't change who is or isn't the better side.

Somehow I think you'd find plenty of people ready to disagree.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On what can you possibly base that?

Rafa Benitez - 3 seasons , FA Cup, Champions League (with Djimi Traore in the team) another Champions League Final

Alex Ferguson - Alot of league titles, FA Cup and just the 1 Champions League

Jose Mourinho - Still hasn't lost a home game, League Champions.

Frank Rijkard - They were well behind Madrid until he came, League Champions and Current holders of the Champions League

Arsene Wenger - Top signigs, like Henry and Viera, Built a good young side who play top football.

First of all, I said in his league, which would be:

Ferguson: Can finish higher than 3rd in the league, unlike Rafa, usually does. When's the last time he finished 5th? Probably earned more in transfer fees than spent this past summer (don't forget the 12 million for Mikel), yet his team only got better.

Jose: He is the chosen one. If you go by Champions League wins, you can't put Rafa over him, considering some of the players Porto had when they won.

Wenger: The titles say it all.

Hughes: Has done wonders with what he has, especially considering the injuries this year.

Benitez is lucky to be 5th best, considering what Coppell has done with Reading.

First of all, I said in his league, which would be:

Ferguson: Can finish higher than 3rd in the league, unlike Rafa, usually does. When's the last time he finished 5th? Probably earned more in transfer fees than spent this past summer (don't forget the 12 million for Mikel), yet his team only got better.

Jose: He is the chosen one. If you go by Champions League wins, you can't put Rafa over him, considering some of the players Porto had when they won.

Wenger: The titles say it all.

Hughes: Has done wonders with what he has, especially considering the injuries this year.

Benitez is lucky to be 5th best, considering what Coppell has done with Reading.

I think its incredibly difficult to rate different managers as they are so dependent on the resources of the club they manage. For me I would actually say that Allerdyce and Hughes have proven to be as capable as some of the top managers if you take their limited funds into account.

Mourinho has unlimited transfer spending yet has built a side that lacks real flair. Benitez's side regularly looks ordinary against teams like us. Wenger looked a genius three years ago but now seems quite human...

Its a minefield.

Liverpool deserve to be in the final as they've played some good football throughout the tournament, beat the current holders, and knocked out Chelsea. United's philosopy of you score 2 we'll score 4 came unstuck at the hands of a very clever Milan team.

United have a few injuries but that was no excuse for them last night, they were completely outplayed by the Italians who scored early and toyed with them for the rest of the night. I seriously doubt that Liverpool will make the same mistake this time around and not have a holding midfielder in to look after Kaka; they have Sissoko nad Mascherano fit and ready for that task. It should be a good game. I will be watching it, but will not be expecting a replay of 2 years ago.

I was wonder if anybody could help me, I seem to be having problems with my sat-nav.

I think it must be knackered as I can't find Manchester or Chelsea anywhere in Europe...

How the hell can Sam be even near the top 5, he would'nt be in my top 20.

1. Rafa Benitez

2. Alex Ferguson

3. Jose Mourinho

4. Frank Rijkard

4. Arsene Wenger

Rafa wouldn't be in my top 20 either.

Fluking a European Cup and a FA Cup and reaching another Euro final courtesy of a penalty shoot out hardly puts him in Mourinho's class let alone on a par with the proven long term track records of Wenger and Ferguson.

Fluking a European Cup and a FA Cup and reaching another Euro final courtesy of a penalty shoot out hardly puts him in Mourinho's class let alone on a par with the proven long term track records of Wenger and Ferguson.

The did not fluke it, the won it by working hard and great tactics by the magician who is Rafael Benitez.

The did not fluke it, the won it by working hard and great tactics by the magician who is Rafael Benitez.

Remember Man United doing nothing for nearly 90 mins against Bayern Munich, then the spawny so and so's got 2 in last minutes of game.

Now if you want to talk flukes, that game gets that award.

As for Liverpool bouncing back from dead after being 3-0 down, that was pure passion and never die , and the same commitment of their legends before.Liverpool lead the way in dominating europe, and all these years on , they are still defying the odds.

I wouldn 't bet against them.

Thats a bit harsh, he has done well. Reaching two finals with a set of players who aren't of the same quality of a large amount of teams in the competition is a quite an achievement. Winning two titles with Valencia is no mean feat either.

I do have a bit of a problem with his transfers though. Alonso, Kuyt and Mascherano seem good acquisitions but on the whole his business has been undewhelming despite massive outlay. And his failure to make the most of Bellamy is a travesty.

First of all that was nothing compared to what United did to Roma a couple of weeks ago. It was a boring game in which Milan got two goals in a first half where United didn't really turn up. The second half United went after it, as they had to, and Milan hit them on the break. Neither Milan or Liverpool have been exciting in the champions league, nor are they exciting in their domestic leagues. The champions league looks on course for another boring final in which neither side can claim to be the best side in Europe.

Sounds like like weve a closet scum fan in the midst, how can you not say that Milan's performance last night was outstanding. Im not proclaiming they are a brilliant side just that they completley outplayed united from minute 1-90. So why try and say any differnt Eddie

Reading all this, I cant help but feel some of us are being a bit hypocritical. Its exactly what we did to the Arsenal in the FA cup. Stifled their game completely and sneaked a winner.

Imagine what Sparky could have achieved with 100+ million pound to spend on players. Liverpool on the other hand have spent enough on players to be able to play attractive football but Rafa doesn't want it that way. Look at Bellamy this year (when he has been on the park) Rafa would rather him running onto balls behind the defensive line then dropping back and playing his natural creative game.

Boring ###### football should not be encouraged

I don't know what most people have against Liverpool,the last Euro final they were in was fantastic.So was their Fa Cup Final against West Ham.

I'm chuffed that Liverpool have got to Athens.

They weren't fantastic in either game, they were lucky, they were completely outplayed in both games yet win in the penalty shootout after jagging some goals.

If there was ever going to be a call for penalties to be scrubbed in favour of attacking corners as a decider both these games would have been it.

First of all that was nothing compared to what United did to Roma a couple of weeks ago. It was a boring game in which Milan got two goals in a first half where United didn't really turn up. The second half United went after it, as they had to, and Milan hit them on the break. Neither Milan or Liverpool have been exciting in the champions league, nor are they exciting in their domestic leagues. The champions league looks on course for another boring final in which neither side can claim to be the best side in Europe.

Is that the game Roma didn't really turn up to?

Milan were superb and technically was one of the best team performances I have seen this year

Remember Man United doing nothing for nearly 90 mins against Bayern Munich, then the spawny so and so's got 2 in last minutes of game.

Now if you want to talk flukes, that game gets that award.

As for Liverpool bouncing back from dead after being 3-0 down, that was pure passion and never die , and the same commitment of their legends before.Liverpool lead the way in dominating europe, and all these years on , they are still defying the odds.

I wouldn 't bet against them.

Well said, again pal!

Well said, again pal!

All this talk of flukes, sounds no more than typical pro-manc propaganda.I think they must read this in the Manc program, or the pro-united Sun newspaper.

Lets face it, Man United couldn't live with Milan the other night,but Liverpool have got to the final again, another fluke lol..that's funny.

The taste of sour grapes, can be a very bitter taste.

Come on Liverpool, fly the falag for english football.

Well said, again pal!

All this talk of flukes, sounds no more than typical pro-manc propaganda.I think they must read this in the Manc program, or the pro-united Sun newspaper.

Lets face it, Man United couldn't live with Milan the other night,but Liverpool have got to the final again, another fluke lol..that's funny.

The taste of sour grapes, can be a very bitter taste.

Come on Liverpool, fly the falag for english football.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wonder if anybody could help me, I seem to be having problems with my sat-nav.

I think it must be knackered as I can't find Manchester or Chelsea anywhere in Europe...

HEHEHE..........

Come on Liverpool,a repeat of 2005,bring that cup home and make England proud.

At least it'll be more entertaining than that sad,sorry excuse of a cup final.

Hopefully. It might be dull as anything, as Liverpool may play deep and put 1 or 2 guys on Kaka, and hope for a sneaky goal. Whoever wins the midfield will win the game.

ITV 4are showing the 2005 final highlights at 6pm,then from 10.30 a few more Champs league shows, greatest goals etc.

I'll be setting my recorder for some great Champ league memories.

Lets hope there is a good referee that can control the game, I've a feeling this game could get a bit heated.

Well like - we actually need Milan like to score early doors like, otherwise like, it'll be like Liverpool the pride of Enlgish football like, to just sit there like, and wait for penalties like. Otherwise like, as we're such funny guys like, we might like, just have to like, start bangin on about the Beatles like, and Abbey Rd like. European City of Culture like!

6 times like, you'll never walk alone alike!

Archived