BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shoppybrfc
They didn't have enough in attack, either Crouch or Bellers should have been on much earlier, Pennant was fabulous.

Congratulations to Milan.

Pennant was CRAP, awful crosser of the ball, cant go past his man, if Bentley had the space and chances Pennant had, Liverpool would be lifting that cup now.

Paolo Maldini is such a legend though. He won his fifth CL/European Cup title in his 23rd (!!) year as a professional footballer, having been at AC Milan since the age of 9. One of my all-time favourite players. And since both he and another of my favourites, Andrea Pirlo (Maybe because he reminds me so much of Tugay?) play for Milan I'm very happy now. Although I did have money on 2-0, so I wish Oddo hadn't lost Kuyt there.

As for the game, I hear it said that Liverpool were by far the better team, but I wouldn't agree. In the first half they certainly had the most of it, but not so much in the second. And for all the possession they had they actually created very little. Inzaghi can score goals, most Liverpool players can't.

Pennant worked hard but wasted a lot of good oppurtunities a more quality player could have put to use better. He was out of his depth in terms of quality. I think the fact he's english, playing for one of the top 4 and not even recognised by the England setup let alone capped tells the whole story.

Paolo Maldini is such a legend though. He won his fifth CL/European Cup title in his 23rd (!!) year as a professional footballer, having been at AC Milan since the age of 9. One of my all-time favourite players.

And he's very, very pretty. And he has nice hair

i thought pennant had a terrible game and i fought they needed to bring in a striker a bit earlier they are missing that spark up front today unlucky!

Pennant contributed to Milans second goal as he ran down the right hand side with Seedorf chasing him, he turned Seedorf onto his left foot to cross, but he didnt, he did a back passthat went to a Milan player, Milan countered and scored their second goal from it-young English numpty.

Pennant will hopefully learn his lesson that in the final third HE has to deliver not someone else if it had been Martin Oneil he'd have been substituted there and then.

Agree with everything you've said, Lathund. Milan didn't go out to score the second, but were patient and didn't really let Liverpool create much - Gerrard's chance aside. I'm sure Ancelotti is delighted with his team and his own tactics, and in my opinion rightly so. I can understand people who doesn't like that part of the game, and Milan has in all fairness always been a bit dire, but there's nothing wrong with lying deep defending when you're one-nil up in a game this important. Liverpool ran out of steam the last fifteen, whilst Milan had fresher legs. What the hell was Benitez doing putting on Arbeloa anyway..?

A fitting end to a warped season I suppose.

Fair play to the Milan team out on the pitch - especially the legend that is Maldini. I doubt we will see a man of his age take to that stage ever again.

The opposite of fair play to the process and failed officialdom which allowed Milan to get to Athens. Not even 12 months ago the club was guilty of cheating, and banned from the competition. A technicality in UEFAs rules and the threat of lengthy legal action allowed them back in - not even through the back door - but through the locked toilet window which is allowed to be forced open for bullies, cheats and palm greasers.

It all leaves a sour taste in the mouth, and with Juventus back up and in the hunt again for Europe's best players, and Lazio also in great shape, Italian football emerges from potentially it's most disastrous season - tainted by the bribery scandals and the violence which killed a policeman and led to the suspension of league football - holding the two biggest trophies in football.

As you were then.

Tevez for Juve anyone?

Two boring defensive sides played out a boring match really. Very few chances were created and they only really came about when defensive errors were made or there was a bit of luck (Milan's second goal being the only real exception). Neither side really deserved to be in a final and it is a shame to see a side that shouldn't have even been there at the start win the thing, but on the balance of play they probably deserved it on the night.

Two boring defensive sides played out a boring match really. Very few chances were created and they only really came about when defensive errors were made or there was a bit of luck (Milan's second goal being the only real exception). Neither side really deserved to be in a final and it is a shame to see a side that shouldn't have even been there at the start win the thing, but on the balance of play they probably deserved it on the night.

Is that another one of your alternative views Eddie?, the game wasn’t a classic but was 10x times better than the crap served up to u sat the FA cup final, buy the side you always hark on about been a great footballing side.( scum )

It is clear to me you didn’t watch any of Milan’s games this season in champs league, there attacking performances away & home against the scum were a joy to behold. Look at there players Kaka, Seedorf & Pirlo are excellent and play lovely attacking football and have got to be up their in terms of goals scored in the champs league this season ( a rarity for an Italian side ). Milan are not a negative side they did what they must to counter liverpools tactics

Delighted Liverpool lost really, just like Houllier Benitez is another vastly over-rated foreign coach who has Liverpool playing the most appalling dross.

Just imagine what Hughes could have done with the 90m Rafa has had to spend. A hell of a lot more I would suspect.

P.S. Anyone see Bellamy's face on the sub's bench in the first half? Whilst the other subs were looking vaguely interested in proceedings he looked like he'd rather have been anywhere else in the world.

Hope you come back to where you will be properly appreciated Craig. :tu:

I wanted Liverpool to win it as I will always have soft spot for them ever since 1995.

I really can't see Bellamy coming back as he has nothing to gane.

The UEFA cup is nothing compared to the Champions league. I realised this when Rovers got knocked out and I had no interest in it what so ever.

I couldn't even tell you if it has been won yet.

If Rovers are in the UEFA cup it does feel like a big comp and it is for us. Although for the top teams it means nothing

That said I am very proud of my club for doing what they have in Europe this year it has been amazing.

If we can match that or better it and stay in the EPL I'll be more than happy.

Heres to the new season and no big exits!!!!!

Is that another one of your alternative views Eddie?, the game wasn’t a classic but was 10x times better than the crap served up to u sat the FA cup final, buy the side you always hark on about been a great footballing side.( scum )

It is clear to me you didn’t watch any of Milan’s games this season in champs league, there attacking performances away & home against the scum were a joy to behold. Look at there players Kaka, Seedorf & Pirlo are excellent and play lovely attacking football and have got to be up their in terms of goals scored in the champs league this season ( a rarity for an Italian side ). Milan are not a negative side they did what they must to counter liverpools tactics

Game was just as bad as the FA cup final. Milan had about 3-4 chances, made 2 of them - one one a handball deflection and the other on their only great chance of the match.

As for Pennant, Janukolskadfalkgadski made him look better than he was. He gave him a lot of opportunities, but Pennant didn't do much with them. He did make the left back look silly, but the finishing pass wasn't usually good.

Still very glad to see the overrated Benitez finish with diddly.

Still very glad to see the overrated Benitez finish with diddly.

3 champions League finals in 5 years and 2 wins. Over rated?

I thought Liverpool could have won the game tonight.

They didn't have half the class of Milan and Benitez I'm sure knew that.

I think the guy is an excellent manager in Europe anyway. I can't see Liverpool doing much better next year as Chelsea and Man U are just too strong but credit where credit is due.

I thought Liverpool were crap, and I won't give credit to AC Milan for that, Milan did not close down and harry the scousers anywhere near like they did Utd. Liverpool looked really flat, no inspiration no ideas poor all round really, the defending for the 2nd was akin to some of the stuff we have witnessed from our lot this season.

I was hoping they would win just for the England factor but they did not desreve it. Ref blew early too 'bout a minute in my book but he must have been sick of watchingit too.

Not that I was rooting for either side, but is it me, or did 'pool just get screwed out of a minute of added time?

Close to my estimation, you must be right Oh and the first goal was handball

Was actually 15 seconds :)

Liverpool were marginally the better team but Dida didn't have great saves to make really.

19 seconds, should have added at least another 30 for the sub and a bit for the time wasting.

3 champions League finals in 5 years and 2 wins. Over rated?

I am pretty sure Bentiz is 1 and 1 on Champions League finals, you are thinking of the UEFA cup with Valencia.

In the Spanish league two holding midfielders can be a lot more interesting to watch because of the pace of the game and the passsing from defense into the midfeild, in England it is just creates plain boring football.

Archived