BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

3 champions League finals in 5 years and 2 wins. Over rated?

I thought Liverpool could have won the game tonight.

They didn't have half the class of Milan and Benitez I'm sure knew that.

I think the guy is an excellent manager in Europe anyway. I can't see Liverpool doing much better next year as Chelsea and Man U are just too strong but credit where credit is due.

Never finishing higher than 3rd in the league. That would be like being happy if we built our team around doing well in the FA cup and didn't care about league position. (And lets not even go into resting most of his starters 3 WEEKS in advance of the final so Watford could stay up.)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you crass, clueless idiot

Why am i a crass clueless idiot?

I know it`s a touchy subject, but there are reports of Liverpool fans rushing a gate at the stadium in Athens last night. How was the guy in my earlier post going to get in the ground without a ticket?.....by using his witty scouse charm? No, people like him cause disasters & other innocent people end up getting hurt.

It`s ok to say "i`m a massive fan & i`ve gotten into 8 finals before without tickets" When this guy was asked 'how?' he planned to get in....he refused to answer & just said "we`ll get in alright".

I know 90+ people died at Hillsborough & the blame was put at the feet of the South Yorkshire police, but at the end of the day thousands of Liverpool fans without tickets & with forged tickets were trying to get into a part of the ground far too small for them. The police were swamped.

As with last night, some scousers 'think' they can use force of numbers to gain entry. They`ve used it before & they used it again last night. This could very easily have been another tragedy involving Liverpool & it`s fans.

Is that another one of your alternative views Eddie?, the game wasn’t a classic but was 10x times better than the crap served up to u sat the FA cup final, buy the side you always hark on about been a great footballing side.( scum )

It is clear to me you didn’t watch any of Milan’s games this season in champs league, there attacking performances away & home against the scum were a joy to behold. Look at there players Kaka, Seedorf & Pirlo are excellent and play lovely attacking football and have got to be up their in terms of goals scored in the champs league this season ( a rarity for an Italian side ). Milan are not a negative side they did what they must to counter liverpools tactics

Milan have played some good football this season, but they shouldn't have been in the tournament because of their cheating, that was what my statement concerned. The FA Cup final wasn't good, this was slightly better, but only just and the only reason it was, was because of the fact that the quality of defending was not as good.

Never finishing higher than 3rd in the league. That would be like being happy if we built our team around doing well in the FA cup and didn't care about league position. (And lets not even go into resting most of his starters 3 WEEKS in advance of the final so Watford could stay up.)

Totally agree. I'm tired of hearing about Rafa the brilliant tactician who has done wonderful things for Liverpool. He's yet to show any progression in the league and despite all of the money he has spent the team's performance basically depends on two players who he inherited.

Nearly the end of the bad boys win season- Glazers, West Ham and AC Milan.

Liverpool nearly upset the Milan applecart but-

was Kuyt's header their first menbacing goal bound effort? They certainly didn't have their shooting boots on.

Kewell or Bellamy should have been in place of Zenden who was simply out of his class.

Pennant was brilliant until he had to cross or pass- then it all fell apart for him.

In the final analysis, Liverpool simply didn't have enough players to frighten the Milan ageing back line.

Gerrard had that one on one that he fluffed in the 2nd half, crouch had a cracking shot tipped over, that was it.

Thought Pennant did well first half, awful in the 2nd half. Although I dont blame him for the second goal, that goes to Harry "Oh look Im fit again for a cup final, what were the chances?" Kewel and his attempt to pretend to be injured instead of chasing after his player.

1) Guaranteed 1st team place

2) More money (He took a pay drop to join Liverpool when we offered him 60k a week)

3) Fans favourite

I'd say he has everything to gain

I do think he has something to gain, but I doubt we'll be offering him 60k a week this time around (at least I hope we won't).

I know it`s a touchy subject, but there are reports of Liverpool fans rushing a gate at the stadium in Athens last night. How was the guy in my earlier post going to get in the ground without a ticket?.....by using his witty scouse charm? No, people like him cause disasters & other innocent people end up getting hurt.

It`s ok to say "i`m a massive fan & i`ve gotten into 8 finals before without tickets" When this guy was asked 'how?' he planned to get in....he refused to answer & just said "we`ll get in alright".

I know 90+ people died at Hillsborough & the blame was put at the feet of the South Yorkshire police, but at the end of the day thousands of Liverpool fans without tickets & with forged tickets were trying to get into a part of the ground far too small for them. The police were swamped.

As with last night, some scousers 'think' they can use force of numbers to gain entry. They`ve used it before & they used it again last night. This could very easily have been another tragedy involving Liverpool & it`s fans.

I agree. Scousers still unbelievably think it's clever to get into grounds with forged tickets. Sympathy for the ones with genuine tickets but the ground was full and thats the end of it! If they all reported the touts with forged tickets that they must have seen through the day then maybe the police would not have to use tear gas and force to prevent yet another potential and epic disaster.

All day long yesterday we were treated to TV interviews with drunken, boorish and infantile scousers who had travelled without tickets and were on the look out for ways to blag into the ground. If they had all got in and caused another disaster I wonder who they'd have blamed this time? Police / UEFA and the editor of some newspaper who had the nerve to suggest some of the blame be apportioned to the Livvy fans themselves?

Will they never learn?

Nearly the end of the bad boys win season- Glazers, West Ham and AC Milan.

Liverpool nearly upset the Milan applecart but-

was Kuyt's header their first menbacing goal bound effort? They certainly didn't have their shooting boots on.

Kewell or Bellamy should have been in place of Zenden who was simply out of his class.

Pennant was brilliant until he had to cross or pass- then it all fell apart for him.

In the final analysis, Liverpool simply didn't have enough players to frighten the Milan ageing back line.

You've summed things up well, Phil.

I can't understand why you've got static players (Kuyt, Crouch) playing against an aging team when you have a speedster who can finish on the bench. Played right into Milan's arms.

I've never rated Zenden, either. What's he supposed to be good at again? Pennant's distribution was shocking. No point getting into a good crossing position and putting a poor cross in.

Also, play Gerrard in his natural position! He's not a forward. He's good breaking from midfield, but the situation is completely different. You want your star man, who can dictate play and tempo, on the ball as much as possible.

PS Come back, Bellers. 60K a week would be a bargain...

editor of some newspaper who had the nerve to suggest some of the blame be apportioned to the Livvy fans themselves?

I agree up to that bit 'drog

If you're referring to the Sun, it wasnt that they aportioned blame to the Liverpool fans, it was the fact they claimed the liverpool fans were pissing on bodies and wounded and searching the victims and corpses for anything of value.

Thats something that's unforgivable in my opinion. For gods sake we hold a grudge against Lawro because he says we'll lose everyweek. People died horribly and the sun prints that.

I agree. Scousers still unbelievably think it's clever to get into grounds with forged tickets. Sympathy for the ones with genuine tickets but the ground was full and thats the end of it! If they all reported the touts with forged tickets that they must have seen through the day then maybe the police would not have to use tear gas and force to prevent yet another potential and epic disaster.

All day long yesterday we were treated to TV interviews with drunken, boorish and infantile scousers who had travelled without tickets and were on the look out for ways to blag into the ground. If they had all got in and caused another disaster I wonder who they'd have blamed this time? Police / UEFA and the editor of some newspaper who had the nerve to suggest some of the blame be apportioned to the Livvy fans themselves?

Will they never learn?

Be very careful what you say Theno, unless you want a nocturnal visit from the People's Police and to disappear without a trace. ;)

Seriously though, does anyone really think that any variety or flavour of Labour Govt in this country is EVER going to allow the "good name" of Liverpool the city and it's rock solid guaranteed Labour vote to be besmirched by the press or any other way. Perish the thought! No, you must always remember the mantra that we have all been taught since the end of WW1; "the scousers are the salt of the Earth" (repeat it 8 times every day after breakfast). Never mind the antics of the naughty thieving dockers and all the other types of criminal behaviour that is smiled upon and considered normal in the great city of Liverpool.

Will they never learn?

Although I understand you point on this TND especially considering the history for Liverpool and the tragic events, but I think you should have worded it slightly different and left some of your stereotype views untyped (who is to say the ticket touts weren't reported - who is responsible - the people who should be know of the circumstances and possibilities yet seem deaf and dumb when the ticketing fiasco is laid back at their own door)

This is not unique to Liverpool Fans and I think the interviews are just typical of probably most English/ British fans abroad and remember its the TV crew who chose to air it as such and getting into a ground without tickets has been common placefor many a year (no matter what the authorities or governing bodies spout out), especially at England games.

All day long yesterday we were treated to TV interviews with drunken, boorish and infantile scousers who had travelled without tickets and were on the look out for ways to blag into the ground. If

I think its fair to say the police prevented a distaster last night. Shame south Yorks didn't do the same.

Report on BBC had a guy saying he had been told to go away, pushed away, baton charged but still refused to go and was surprised they used tear gas to prevent him getting into an already full ground - amazing!

I wonder who they'd have blamed this time? ...... the editor of some newspaper who had the nerve to suggest some of the blame be apportioned to the Livvy fans themselves?

If only you had not included that in your post. I get the feeling you know full well what went on with the Sun, so I guess its just your attempt at flaming and getting the attention you so obviously crave. Shame really becuase you had a powerful point that now has completely been detracted from.

Report on BBC had a guy saying he had been told to go away, pushed away, baton charged but still refused to go and was surprised they used tear gas to prevent him getting into an already full ground - amazing!

That guy probably had a genuine ticket and was being turned away because they had let in some idiot with a fake ticket in to take his seat. Don't think I'd just turn and walk away after travelling across Europe to see my team in a European Cup final when I have every right to be in there.

As for the game...in 2005 Liverpool managed to win DESPITE Benitez messing up the tactics. Last night the players were unable to overcome them. Gerrard up front instead of being able to direct things from central midfield...an essential factor in the 2005 final? Crouch on the bench when he was singled out as the most dangerous threat by Milan prior to the final?

Pennant had a decent game but his final ball was made more difficult by his team mates failing to make space to receive them. A good example was the build-up to Milan's second goal when Pennant's clever back-heel went to a Milan player because Steve Finnan failed to make the obvious overlap and instead stood still doing nothing (presumably he was injured which ended in his substitution).

Not the greatest game but a LOT better than the FA Cup final. In fact there was more excitement in the first half than in all two hours of the game on Saturday.

I get the feeling you know full well what went on with the Sun, so I guess its just your attempt at flaming and getting the attention you so obviously crave. Shame really becuase you had a powerful point that now has completely been detracted from.

Sorry don't know full well at all, I never read the report. Dont tell me though that most people have not been taught to take anything reported in the Sun and it's like with a pinch of salt? Still.... apparently it's been banned in many homes in Liverpool for some time ....... pity they didn't think to take the same line with the scally touts!

Have you ever heard anybody from the red side of Liverpool actually admit that the supporters could at least accept some portion of blame for Hillsborough or Heyschel or is it just easier to look for scapegoats and patsy's elsewhere?

btw are you a professional psychologist or just a keen amateur?

The No, over the years we have disagreed to disagree but I am 100% behind your views on the Liverpool fans who could so easily have facilitated another Hillsborough type disaster.

Some so called Liverpool fans have poured disdain on the memories of the 96, they have belittled the way the genuine Liverpool supporters have conducted themselves all over the world and they have brought shame on themselves.

The couldnt give a toss attitude I listened to on the radio speaks volumes about that supporters views on all things Liverpool. He couldnt really give a rats ar$e about anyone else but himself.

Now then, if there are genuine people out there in Liverpool colours, they should do the right thing and name and shame their own.

Liverpools goal was offside, and Kaka was clear onside and one-on-one with the keeper when being called offside. Best team won in my opinion. The final itself was not good to watch, but that is what you get when facing a defensive minded team like Liverpool...

Liverpools goal was offside, and Kaka was clear onside and one-on-one with the keeper when being called offside. Best team won in my opinion. The final itself was not good to watch, but that is what you get when facing a defensive minded team like Liverpool...

TO be honest I thought Milan were more defensive. Liverpool started the game with real intent.

I though Benitez got his tactics right, but Pennant and Zenden were not really up to the job.

Spotting this today in a Benitez feature

....... The 47-year-old may appear jovial and relaxed but underneath the pleasant exterior beats the heart of an ultra-ambitious man

who quit Valencia for Liverpool three years ago because the Spanish outfit refused to meet his demands

On his arrival at Anfield, Benitez famously declared he asked the Valencia board for a coffee table and was given a table lamp instead. And he

has still not forgotten. “We won the league with Valencia for the first time in 31 years,” he recalled. “Afterwards, everyone said ‘fantastic, we are so good we do not need to spend any money’. The following season we finished fifth."

The next time Rovers win the championship, the board please take note.

Archived