BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Spotting this today in a Benitez feature

....... The 47-year-old may appear jovial and relaxed but underneath the pleasant exterior beats the heart of an ultra-ambitious man

who quit Valencia for Liverpool three years ago because the Spanish outfit refused to meet his demands

On his arrival at Anfield, Benitez famously declared he asked the Valencia board for a coffee table and was given a table lamp instead. And he

has still not forgotten. “We won the league with Valencia for the first time in 31 years,” he recalled. “Afterwards, everyone said ‘fantastic, we are so good we do not need to spend any money’. The following season we finished fifth."

The next time Rovers win the championship, the board please take note.

I hope it's many a year before we have to contest the Championship.

I'd rather we remain in the Premiership. :rolleyes:

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gutted last night after the Liverpool result, it would've been great to see them lift it again, they deserved to be there, they beat Barca who were the holders and Chelsea, so nobody could say the fluked it.

I've always looked out for them and they are kind of my second team.

I didn`t give a damn who won it last night. Milan took their chances, whilst Liverpool weren`t good enough....meh!

I just think the travelling Liverpool fans have dragged the english game back into the 80s with their behaviour outside the ground. Reports of gangs of ticketless fans mugging fellow Liverpool fans for their precious tickets, fans climbing over walls to gain entry, fans charging gates & battling with riot police, fans gaining entry with forged tickets etc....it`s a miracle another disaster didn`t materialise.

....I know it was all a long way-a-way in Athens, but i dread to think what would/could happen if Liverpool had a good season & challenged for the premiership title, with their last away game at little old Ewood Park? You think the Man City game was intimidating a few years back? Just imagine 30,000 drunken bin-dippers turning up ticketless at Ewood wanting to charge a gate or two to gain entry. Who would stop them? A lot of people would get hurt.

UEFA, FIFA or the FA need to take action against this behaviour. I`d personally give Liverpool a final warning to sort their shop out....or face a good long ban. This 'scally mentality' needs stamping on....HARD!

1) Guaranteed 1st team place

2) More money (He took a pay drop to join Liverpool when we offered him 60k a week)

3) Fans favourite

I'd say he has everything to gain

How about simply being happy playing football.

Liverpool tried to play but had no spark. Milan did what all good Italian teams do; defend well and hit on the counter attack. Inzaghi is a little sod but was the difference last night. Liverpool had the possession in the first half but couldn't create anything. I too agree that Benitez made some personnel blunders. Zenden wasn't awful but didn't offer much, it was worse that Riise behind him had an absolute shocker. Gerrard should not have been playing up front, he is far better running from deep. I think Benitez was scared of Kaka so he stuck two deep midfielders in there to limit space; it worked up until the second goal, but that was on the break. If Pennant had a final ball he would be England's savior, but he doesn't.

All in a relatively dull Euro Final. 3rd vs 3rd(?) to be crowned the Champions of Europe; this is why the game has so many detractors right now.

That chants for only who have won it more than 5 times, it shouldn't be coming form us as we all well know we have'nt got the best of records in Europe.

yes but the fact is they thought a 6th trophy was 100% going to happen. they were saying its fate, What ever

That guy probably had a genuine ticket and was being turned away because they had let in some idiot with a fake ticket in to take his seat. Don't think I'd just turn and walk away after travelling across Europe to see my team in a European Cup final when I have every right to be in there.

Yes but the problem was caused by scum who for some strange reason think they have the right to attend without a ticket. Thereby depriving proper supporters and their fellow fans who have having legitimately purchased a ticket the chance to attend.

Don't blame the Greek Police, they probably averted another potential tragedy due to their actions. If thousands of scumbags didn't try to get in without tickets a problem would never arise.

Why go anywhere near the stadium if you don't have a ticket? I just don't understand the mentality. By all means fly over there, watch the game on the big screen and take in the atmosphere, just don't try and storm your way into the ground illegally.

You see the same sort of attitude on here when standing in all seater stadia is discussed. Some people seem to think that because they want to stand for 90 minutes they have the right to do so and sod the inconvenience or consequences for anyone else.

And of course as far as last night is concerned it's always someone else's fault, UEFA, the Greek Police etc etc. Perish the thought they would look at their own behaviour.

OK, anyone want to buy the Liverpool 2007 Champions League Winners Tour Bus? If so, get over to ebay now Linky

Class, ha ha

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: Is the bus sponsored by AIG(Another Inzaghi Goal)? 25-May-07

A: That's right mate - and Rafa is sponsored by Accurist.

Q: You do realise that every team would have to have the bus for the parade ready before the match don't you? You couldn't have it done on the Wednesday night...more 25-May-07

A: You couldn't do it on Wednesday night either. So that's pretty even I'd say. Forza Milan.

Q: Any chance you could swap Liverpool's history for your supported clubs? Nah, didn't think so. ;) 25-May-07

A: Nah. We prefer to keep ourselves out of the papers and seeking sympathy. We're set! LET'S BUNK IN!

Q: Does it come in Red/Black aswell? or maybe Blue? 24-May-07

A: No mate. What you see is what you get. Overrated, overpriced, overawed. The bus is the same.

Q: Is there any evidence or dead bodies, or rocks / slabs on the bus it's self. Because after all, they would not want to have won it 6 times and not killed...more 24-May-07

A: No mate. It's totally unused :D Plus, it's the authorities who do the damage.

Anyone else getting tired of the fall-out from this game and Benitez talking about how much more money he needs in order to compete? The man has probably spent nearly as much as every side but Chelsea since he has been in charge and yet he still is going to try and pass it off as a lack of money now that he has new owners. In Crouch and Bellamy they had a £16ish million striker force sitting on the bench on wednesday.

Anyone else getting tired of the fall-out from this game and Benitez talking about how much more money he needs in order to compete? The man has probably spent nearly as much as every side but Chelsea since he has been in charge and yet he still is going to try and pass it off as a lack of money now that he has new owners. In Crouch and Bellamy they had a £16ish million striker force sitting on the bench on wednesday.

Bad workmen always blame their tools.

Apparently this is who Bentiez has bought in his time (taken from another board, so don't know how accurate)

Player From Fee Date

Josemi Rey Malaga £2,000,000 26.07.2004

Antonio Nunez Real Madrid £1,500,000* 17.08.2004

Xabi Alonso Real Sociedad £10,700,000 20.08.2004

Luis Garcia Barcelona £6,000,000 20.08.2004

Mauricio Pellegrino Valencia Free 05.01.2005

Fernando Morientes Real Madrid £6,300,000 13.01.2005

Scott Carson Leeds United £1,000,000 21.01.2005

Josh Mimms Rotherham United £50,000 16.06.2005

Antonio Barragan Sevilla £240,000 04.07.2005

Boudewijn Zenden Free Transfer Free* 04.07.2005

Jose Reina Villareal £6,000,000 04.07.2005

Mohamed Sissoko Valencia £5,600,000 14.07.2005

Peter Crouch Southampton £7,000,000 20.07.2005

Godwin Antwi Real Zaragoza Unknown 15.08.2005

Miki Roque Lleida Unknown 15.08.2005

Jack Hobbs Lincoln City £150,000* 18.08.2005

Besian Idrizaj LASK Linz £190,000* 22.08.2005

Ramon Calliste Free Transfer Free* 29.08.2005

Mark Gonzalez Albacete £1,500,000* 20.10.2005

Paul Anderson Hull City Player Exchange* 01.01.2006

Jan Kromkamp Villareal Player Exchange* 04.01.2006

Daniel Agger Brøndby £5,800,000 12.01.2006

David Martin MK Dons £250,000* 12.01.2006

Robbie Fowler Man City Free 27.01.2006

Craig Bellamy Blackburn £6,000,000 01.07.2006

Gabriel Paletta Club Atlético Banfield £2,000,000 04.07.2006

Fábio Aurélio Valencia Free 05.07.2006

Jermaine Pennant Birmingham £6,700,000 26.07.2006

Dirk Kuyt Feyenoord £9,000,000 18.08.2006

Nabil El Zhar St Etienne £200,000 21.08.2006

Astrit Ajdarevic Falkenberg £750,000* 11.01.2007

Emiliano Insúa Boca Juniors On Loan* 11.01.2007

Daniele Padelli Sampdoria On Loan* 12.01.2007

Jordy Brouwer Ajax Undisclosed* 24.01.2007

Francisco Durán Malaga £66,000* 30.01.2007

Ronald Huth Tacuary FC Undisclosed 31.01.2007

Álvaro Arbeloa Deportivo £2,500,000 31.01.2007

Javier Mascherano West Ham On Loan 20.02.2007

Lucas Pezzini Leiva Gremio £5,000,000 11.05.2007

39 players for £86,596,000

Sorry don't know full well at all, I never read the report. Dont tell me though that most people have not been taught to take anything reported in the Sun and it's like with a pinch of salt? Still.... apparently it's been banned in many homes in Liverpool for some time ....... pity they didn't think to take the same line with the scally touts!

Have you ever heard anybody from the red side of Liverpool actually admit that the supporters could at least accept some portion of blame for Hillsborough or Heyschel or is it just easier to look for scapegoats and patsy's elsewhere?

btw are you a professional psychologist or just a keen amateur?

No psychology involved, just a good memory.

Message board gold 1994- thenodrog enters the debate on the Sun and Hillsbourgh - page 7

Although you are consistent, I think there is sufficient information and debate (to which you have contributed) in that thread to show you understand the crux of the Scousers Vs. Sun and the wider issues involved.

Anyone else getting tired of the fall-out from this game

I was tired of hearing about this game a week before it kicked off!!

So much hype, so little quality, so glad Liverpool lost.

Don't blame the Greek Police, they probably averted another potential tragedy due to their actions. If thousands of scumbags didn't try to get in without tickets a problem would never arise.

You are 100% right there Rev, only trouble is the trash media (and Talksport are about the worst culprit) seem intent on laying the blame elsewhere.

UEFA could have given more tickets to Liverpool, but it still doesn't excuse what happened. I heard one bloke on the radio practically bragging that he had got past all the security checks and got in without having a ticket at all. The fact that he, and others like him, denied genuine ticket holders entry into the ground seemed not to matter to him.

I'd guess due to the Obi Mikel payoff, United didn't even spend anything net last season. Yes, they spent 18 or so on Carrick, but they got 13 for JOM and 8-10 for RVN.

Anyone who follows baseball, Rafa sounds like the Red Sox (they complain about how much money the Yankees spend, but they spend more than everyone but the Yankees).

I'd guess due to the Obi Mikel payoff, United didn't even spend anything net last season. Yes, they spent 18 or so on Carrick, but they got 13 for JOM and 8-10 for RVN.

Anyone who follows baseball, Rafa sounds like the Red Sox (they complain about how much money the Yankees spend, but they spend more than everyone but the Yankees).

It's true, but his reptuation remains intact (even despite the flack that he has taken for Wednesday). He'll have a lot to live up to next season if all of this money comes through.

No psychology involved, just a good memory.

Message board gold 1994- thenodrog enters the debate on the Sun and Hillsbourgh - page 7

Although you are consistent, I think there is sufficient information and debate (to which you have contributed) in that thread to show you understand the crux of the Scousers Vs. Sun and the wider issues involved.

I'd forgotten all that but all the same its a damned fine read! God I'm good! :tu:

Yes your WWII analogy was a stroke of genius :wstu:

Back to the football. It's worrying that we have 2 wingers who are both far superior to Liverpool's excuse for wingers who were playing last night.

Saying that, it's a good bet Rafa will waste his transfer money on unheard of foreigner players or less than proven premiership players.

It's true, but his reptuation remains intact (even despite the flack that he has taken for Wednesday). He'll have a lot to live up to next season if all of this money comes through.

Next year has got to be it for Liverpool, if they don't win the league then as far as I am concerned they fail.

Archived