BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup Semi-final .

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well i got a text not long after the game from a neutral who commented on what a shocker Wiley had and that he;d given us nothing the whole game. Incidentally are you a trainee ref? You seemingly cannot wait to leap to the defence of refs, even when their performances are clearly appalling.

I don't leap to the defence of them at all, I've consistently called them incompetent and inconsistent. What I'll always argue against is that there's a conspiracy to make Rovers lose amongst referees, the idea is absurd. Personally I find it much easier to follow the game believing that it isn't corrupt. I think it's a justified opinion too, based on the BBC's attempt to shock the football world with it's Panaroma 'report', and the Lord Stevens report.

Back to the game for a minute...Whiley never made a decision that effected the outcome of the game. Do you honestly think we'd have been through had we had a different referee?

Edit: I've just done a routine call home, and one of the things my mum said about the game was "that referee was a bit biased, wasn't he?". Therefore I stand corrected, we were well and truly shafted. :)

I thought it was a tale of two halfs with Wiley and the only neutral opinion I had at the time (my dad who is a united fan) agreed with me. In the first half he didn't give us anything, second half I thought we got more of the luck, maybe he can only point his arm one way. We still came off worse in terms of bookings, but he didn't make any shocking decisions.

Having seen some amazing Rovers matches over the last 50 years yesterday comes very high on the list. It reminded me a lot of the full Members Final when we suddenly discovered that Rovers have great support when needed and led to what we have now. It is a interesting thought that we will have fewer fans there on Wednesday than yesterday...if only we could replicate the passion at Ewood. The East Stand Upper was a great place to be.It was deafening!

John Williams was on Radio Lancs and was so proud of the fans and the team and the fact we outsang and outsold the Chelsea lot.

I cant fault anyone for their display yesterday but I couldnt sleep last night for thinking about MGP`s miss.

Old Trafford was a nightmare to get out of by tram with jostling and being squashed like sardines. For future reference we were indebted to a lady at Prestwich station before the game who told us to stay on the tram till the terminus at Piccadilly and get on the empty one before getting to Piccadilly Gardens where most of the fans were waiting.

I also a great quote on a Rovers shirt. "Football is a game of two halves- blue and white".

He had just taken 5 minutes to get back down the pitch into a defensive position after going on a run. He was clearly gassed.

He did show glimpses of why he was originally sold for 5 million.

And he'd been booked.

Even now I am so proud of the fans and the team we really did give so much.

The Chelsea fans need a reality check. They just sat there and waited to be entertained.

Mourinho's comments whilst nice I do find them a touch patronising. I agree with Benitez when he says Mourinho is only nice to the teams he expects to beat. He rarely has a good word to say about the other top three. It was nice to see him applaud our fans though.

Perhaps the saddest moment for me was that once the game was over it marked the last game of significance for a good few months after a truely wonderful season - even if we have nothing to show for it.

Keep hold of the key players and next season we'll do something.

Old Trafford was a nightmare to get out of by tram with jostling and being squashed like sardines. For future reference we were indebted to a lady at Prestwich station before the game who told us to stay on the tram till the terminus at Piccadilly and get on the empty one before getting to Piccadilly Gardens where most of the fans were waiting.

To avoid the sardine factory, we walked to Exchange Quay, tram to Ladywell - free secure car park, back in East Lancs 50 mins after full time.

Great day out overall but just a couple of points relating to the crowd. What was most noticable was that where as we had sold all our £35 allocation and only a smattering of £55 it was the converse in the Chelsea sections .......talk about a north-south divide!

With this obvious affordability differential in mind just a couple of questions to the powers that be :-

1) Why were Rovers allocated the end with fewer £25 tickets (the disabled area took up quite a chunk of space which in the corresponding Chelsea section was filled with cheap seats)?

2) Why were Chelsea allowed to sell the £25 seats in the Upper tier of the North stand?

I ask these questions because I know of at least one family of five who couldn't afford the £45/55 asking price for the remaining Rovers allocation.

2) Why were Chelsea allowed to sell the £25 seats in the Upper tier of the North stand?

I ask these questions because I know of at least one family of five who couldn't afford the £45/55 asking price for the remaining Rovers allocation.

According to the FA - whom I rang on Friday - there was no restriction preventing Rovers from selling those tickets.

Yet to receive an answer from the club.

Long time viewer, first time poster :rover:

The 2nd half was fantastic yesterday, I've not heard the Rovers support get behind the team like that for years, and the players certainly responded! MGP's miss was definitely the key moment, when it dropped wide it just seemed inevitable to me that Chelsea would somehow do enough to win.

I was really happy to see Dunn paired with the Axe as I think they are the most natural combination for the centre of midfield (of those who are available). It will be interesting to see who Hughes goes for when Reid and Savage are back. With Ooijer also returning, we are looking pretty strong all over the pitch for next season, although I'd like to see us blow whatever transfer budget we have on a pacey striker.

P.S. As much as I despise Chelsea, I'd happily cheer them on to four trophies this season if it means United win nowt!

I got back to the Emerald Isle about 23 hours ago.

As soon as I came in, I watched the highlights on Sky and found my way to bed at about 1:30pm and slept for 8 hours. Although I feel so proud of the lads and supporters, my feelings are tinged with a touch of sadness on what could have been. It was pretty awesome at the 'George Best' airport in Belfast, as there seemed to have been more Rover supporters than Chelski's.

The craic after the game was great and have to thank yer tram-driver man for answering my mobile, which I had left on the a carriage. Got a black-cab to their head-quarters and gave the driver a £10 tip for keeping it. The craic after the game was great and met up with many of my good friends from Blackburn. then to meet quite a few from here as well, including Jordan, Stu Wilky & wife (who are off to trillick...... f**k off), Scotty, Percy & American. Then the regulars Tris, Clare and Pks!

The Exchange was very good for the banter and even the OAP taking the group photo. Then I also learnt that Stu & Jordan aren't from London and that the latter can buy a round of drink (joking mate). I nearly found the full force from Jordan as he tried to toss the loo, while I was trying to relieve myself. All in all I had a great time and good chatching up with you all again.

I hope that all Rovers' made it back to their abode's safely. Take care and look forward to Reading fixture and the 5 a-side competition.

Half way there a lad in a Rovers top on his bike did his best to run me over - Colin was that you?

Probably, how many others went by bike? If it was between Deansgate Station & OT then it probably was me.

Got to say that that was one of the best bike journeys of my life, getting cheered and hooted at by Rovers' fans all the way

On a sort of different note. I read The Times' match report today. I know we grumble about being last on "Match Of The Day" & I've copied it from the website.

References to Chelsea are in bold. References to Rovers are in blue

I really should be beyond this kind of thing, but this really does get on my tits, how many teams were playing yesterday?

Chelsea ‘heroes’ soldier to final

Blackburn Rovers 1 Chelsea 2 (after extra time): Mourinho’s men pick themselves up yet again

Diego Maradona once said of the Germany national team that the only way to be sure of beating them was to kill them, and José Mourinho’s Chelsea are no less indomitable. Sir Alex Ferguson must have left Old Trafford yesterday wondering whether a 7-1 lead will make them safe from a Chelsea comeback in an FA Cup Final that will give the new Wembley Stadium a tumultuous opening afternoon.

Mourinho talked of his players as “heroes” yesterday and while that term may seem more fitting for frontline soldiers than millionaire footballers, plenty of Chelsea’s stars are showing physical courage time and again as they are driven on by their demanding manager.

When Alan Wiley, the referee, blew his whistle to signal the end of 90 minutes at Old Trafford yesterday, they had slumped to the ground with weariness. Even Frank Lampard had looked to be feeling the effects of yet another gruelling contest, but he and his teammates roused themselves for yet another effort in extra time.

Perhaps it was to be expected that the player with the energy to score the winner was the one who, according to most fans (and his teammates if you believe the gossip), has the least excuse to be tired. Michael Ballack continues to attract criticism for his strut, but no one would dispute that he has added an end result.

“He is a player loved by his manager,” Mourinho said, “and that gave him the confidence to carry on. His life was not easy from the beginning and only a guy with such experience and a real leader could resist the pressure. This was an historic goal.”

Ballack’s left-foot finish 11 minutes from the end of extra time persuaded Roman Abramovich to give Mourinho a celebratory postmatch hug, although it remains to be seen whether the Russian surreptitiously slipped a P45 into the manager’s pocket. The idea of sacking Mourinho becomes ever more controversial — ludicrous, some might say — as they chase the first quadruple.

Chelsea’s only worry is whether they will be able to keep going on so many fronts when even players as extraordinarily durable as Lampard, Michael Essien and Didier Drogba are having to drag themselves from game to game. They overcame Blackburn Rovers yesterday but only thanks to a terrible miss by Morten Gamst Pedersen and the unwavering brilliance of Petr Cech, the man of the match.

Chelsea might have been three points ahead in the championship race, rather than behind, had Cech not missed several months of the season with a fractured skull. “He is the best in the world, that is obvious,” Mourinho said. “But to be the best in the world three months after that injury is incredible. When we saw him at Reading in the hospital and with the scar on his head, there were a lot of questions. To come back and play like he did today was incredible.”

There was only a minute left of normal time with the game tied at 1-1 when John Obi Mikel’s backheader looped over Cech’s head and, seemingly, into the goal. Cech reached out a hand to tip it over the bar and, while Blackburn had dominated the second half, the wise money was on Chelsea in extra time.

It was ironic that it should take a late winner because, before kick-off, Mourinho had talked of trying to break the draining habit of spirited comebacks that has been a feature of Chelsea’s season. It makes for excitement but Mourinho’s team won their first two titles by charging into the lead and conserving energy for future tests. Yesterday his plan of an early burst seemed to be working as Chelsea took the lead through Lampard’s 21st goal of the season, the midfield player taking Ballack’s pass and skipping past Ryan Nelsen at the climax of a crisp move.

In a dominant first half, Chelsea stopped Blackburn having a shot until the 43rd minute. With Joe Cole buzzing around on his first start for four months, they had their chances to kill off the game and there was always the danger that they might rue the failure to do so.

While everyone else could afford to belly-laugh soon after the interval when, from Drogba’s cut-back, Andriy Shevchenko shot against his own standing leg like a slapstick comic rather than a feared striker, you sensed that Mourinho would not have been chuckling — and he withdrew the Ukraine forward soon after.

Sure enough, with Blackburn reinvigorated by what must have been some strong words from Mark Hughes at half-time, Rovers came right back at them. With Chelsea becoming increasingly ragged, Ashley Cole conceded a free kick 25 yards out. Pedersen whipped it in low and Jason Roberts glanced past Cech as John Terry stood off.

There were 27 minutes left and Rovers enjoyed the best of them. Pedersen struck the post and then, seven minutes from the end, squandered a glorious chance when he headed wide when completely unmarked. On the game went into extra time and, with Salomon Kalou and Shaun Wright-Phillips bringing freshness to Chelsea from the bench, the chance fell to Ballack to score the winner.

It was cruel on Rovers, who had tested Chelsea’s resolve but could not break them. It may take a side as good as United to do that.

The best report, as usual, when it comes to the Rovers, was by (and it hurts me to say this) the Telegraph's Henry Winter. He did a smashing piece too, following the League Cup victory.

You'll be glad to know that the first row of the second tier was not the place to be. Great view, but too far up and strangely disconnected from it all. However...

I spoke to a City supporter mate of mine right after the game and he confirmed that the ref let Chelsea get away with so much play acting and gave them the majority of decisions. There was a short period of play, I think towards the end of normal time, where Ballack fouled Rovers players three times in quick succession. Not a word from Wiley. Droghba than ran 20 yards to contest a decision and shouts and bawls in Wiley's face. Again not a word from the ref.

Gamst then gets booked for next to nothing. Laughable. As for all the writhing about on the floor, not even Winter even bother mentioning it.

The Guardian gets in on the act too, claiming there were 30,000 Chelsea fans at the match.

On the game itself, all i can think is that we had the big chance to win it and Gamst bottled it. Shame. I jsut hope we don't have to wait a long time for another chance to slip past the big-time charlies to get to the final.

One last thing. Much has been made of the noise the Rovers' fans made, but the roar of defiance after Chelsea scored their second was magnificent.

The press can write whatever they want. This game was a great one, and Rovers certainly played their part, everyone could see that. People see through that stink the press sometimes releases. I was overwhelmed by the effort. This game was one of the best ones in quite a few years. Just think of the astronomical fees Ch€l$ki have splashed around in the past few years. I even bet that game won us a few new supporters.

Archived