BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 5m

I don't think we can expect him to perform both roles - name a winger who scores 'poacher' goals on a regular basis but is also on the flanks whipping in cross after cross?

When playing as a wide midfielder or winger I always got told that you stay wide when you've got the ball on your wing, but when the balls in the opposite wing you try to get into the box at the back post. It's MGP's ability to ghost in at the back stick that gets him so many goals. To say that you can't score goals and play as a winger seems wrong to me.

MGP's goals are invaluable.

I know some people criticise him for 'shooting' from corners. Let's face it, I doubt MGP just decides what he's going to do from corners. I think that the coaching staff will work on set pieces and instruct MGP what to do. MH and the boys will no doubt see an advantage in MGP whipping the ball in down the keepers throat and if keepers weren't so overzealously defended by refs we'd score a lot of goals from these. They also set up the 'Tugay volley' type corner very nicely.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MGP was inconsistant last year but he got the job done when it mattered. He was crap the year before yet in the latter stages appeared to show glimpses and his goals kept us up.

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK, maybe he scores great goals yet he goes absent occaisionally but thats the past for a player still learning his trade. We have one of the most exciting talents in the premiership(and the danish music industry) yet we still have to find fault.

This season is huge for Morten and we have the right coaching staff to bring the best of Morten and our other players for the coming season. This season is the time for Morten to mature and become a consistant player.

Give him 10 comptitive games before we judge.

Im sure He'll have 5 goals by then, He is by far one of the best wide talents in the premiership

Spot on Seggie.

If MGP were to develop the mental strength to take a big whack and keep going he would be sensational. As it is oppositions know that a big hit can keep MGP quiet.

However, he is still one of the best talents around.

When playing as a wide midfielder or winger I always got told that you stay wide when you've got the ball on your wing, but when the balls in the opposite wing you try to get into the box at the back post. It's MGP's ability to ghost in at the back stick that gets him so many goals. To say that you can't score goals and play as a winger seems wrong to me.

I am a winger myself and yes, coaches are always urging me to get to the far stick when the ball is on the other flank. However, I think it's fair to say that most wingers only make a token effort of getting there because it's a lot to ask a winger to come back to cover the full-back and then get in the box during a counter-attack time after time again.

The thing about MGP, is that he doesn't just get in the box when the ball's on the other flank, about to be whipped in. Remember his spectacular goal versus Man U in the Carling Cup. MGP ran beyond Shefki Kuqi, got onto the Kuqimonster's flick on and smacked it into the net. From the reports, it sounds like he did something similar against Hamburg.

Say Damien Duff was in that position, 9/10 times he would have stayed wide, rather than gamble and run beyond the forward.

Imo as long as MGP is taking the gamble to make runs beyond the strikers and generally get in the box at all opportunities, he will not be as effective in terms of wing play and crosses. He can't do both.

MGP is quality and it’s about time people cut him some slack. Now ok he does go missing for some games but would we of beat United twice if we didn’t have him?

We signed him as an unknown for £1.5 million. He must now be worth at least 4 times that amount.

In his 1st season he played 19 league games and scored 4 goals

Last season he played 34 league games and scored 9 goals.

He will improve with age – this season he will be stronger and do even more. Teams may well figure him out but he doesn’t score many easy goals anyway so it won’t be a problem for him. You can’t stop quality. You can try but you wont, and if you try too hard then you will get caught out elsewhere.

mgp is vital, yeah he drifts in and out of games but he does give it his all.

over 10 goal a season midfielder, essential imo.

on the left wing your not always involved all the time, he will improve with experience and i was well chuffed when he signed the new contract with us.

Yet again MGP plays poorly, all beit in a friendly. When was the last time MGP had an all round very good or even good game?, I dont think anyone can answer that. MGP's goals cover up the fact, apart from his goals his does nothing in a game.

Pre-season and the daggers are out. I've highlighted the comic phrase I read all too often on here. Don't you just love being a Rovers fan? I'd much rather have an anonymous 10 goal winger than someone who is all fluff and gets no goals as, last time I looked, that is what wins games.

"MGP is crap. Real wingers stay wide and dribble past players."

The Norwegian paper Dagbaldet reports that Gamst was the only Rovers player to run the entire so called biptest. When running a biptest you shall run from A to B before you hear a beep. For the longer you run the beeps becomes more and more often. So you will need to run faster and faster.. Even though Gamst were the only player to run the entire test he said many got very close. The paper also wrote that this should not come as any surprise as Gamst were the player that run the most in a single league match last season, running incredible 14.8km.

Gamst also mentioned that he is hopeing to change his name on the back of his shirt to Gamst. :brfc:

I know someone who can complete the biptest (whatever it's called) but he's crap at football. Are we discussing his football or cooking skills? As long as he keeps scoring around 8+ goals a season and creating a couple chances every game, either by a good cross from out wide or a through ball after cutting inside, he'll be a star for us. Nobody should care how far he can run or what his stamina is like. Granted he needs good stamina and speed but we should be praising his goals and technique surely?!

What of steroids on a urine test?

You froggies never got to grips with Armstrong did you?

How I laughed when Floyd Landis rode away in the Alps last week to blitz the field, and inflict another USA victory in France's only major event in world sport.

Another kick in the balls for L'Equipe - the rag which slandered Armstrong - the rag which has never recovered since Fignon the frog got rolled over by Greg Lemond way back when.

The rag which openly supports FRENCH riders who have been convicted of using drugs, served bans, and come back as local heros. I used to bvy L'Equipe every day when I first lived in France. Now I don't even read the free copies in airport lounges - because of their treatment of Armstrong.

Come on Eddie, back up your accusations against Armstrong with fact - and don't quote the rag.

How about a failed drugs test? That factual enough for you? I don't like cycling and they all do it so I don't really care, I don't think the human body could do it at those speeds if they didn't, but I still believe that he took a lot of steroids.

How about a failed drugs test? That factual enough for you? I don't like cycling and they all do it so I don't really care, I don't think the human body could do it at those speeds if they didn't, but I still believe that he took a lot of steroids.

Where's the proof? How come Armstrong still legitimately holds 7 winners yellow jerseys yet top riders were withdrawn on the eve of this years race? How come the French authorities have tried every ruse possible to get mud to stick to Armstrong, but none has?

Cylcing has without doubt had to face problems, but you cannot tag any of them to Armstrong. The fact that you're trying to do so is a reflection of the rubbish you're being fed by the French media.

Tris, most of the time I read or watch British media, so don't try that. They have drug tests that have positive results, but there is a reason they can't be used, I'm no expert in the subject but I'll try and find a link and I'll put it on here, probably not in the MGP topic though.

They can't be used because they can't prove they were never tampered with. I believe the report blasted the handling of the samples and said they could have been spiked many a time.

I think he is an awesome player, without him we woudlnt have beaten Utd Away. And also think back to that night when we beat the Dingles, the game could have gone anyway after extra time...we could have even lost it.

Cant really say he's not influencial. I think he's scored some of the most important goals for us over the last 2 years and i doubt anyone could deny it.

Is that sort of like MGP having the highest VOX level (or something) among all the football players ever to lace up boots? I think cuidado said something to that effect like a year and a half ago.

I think you mean VO2 test, there buggers of things to do. Last time my lacitc acid number was 23, we walk around at 1-2

Archived