BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel Deal For Love, Not Money

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 39 years old isn't too old for a top level keeper if they keep themselves in top physical condition. Friedel is a true pro who gives his all in training and matches and is a very intelligent guy off the field as well. If he felt he didn't have what it takes to keep his form going in the next few years then he would have been the first person to decide against the contract.

This could be the most important signing this season.

Excellent news.

By all accounts Frank Fielding is something special and is in contention for more England recognition. He might be challenging Brad within that timeframe but he certainly will have some big gloves to fill when he does.

:rover: kept a clean sheet at the stanley saturday :brfcsmilie:

I wonder what Jason Brown thinks about this.

He has just signed a new deal himself so i guess he has had some reassurances from Hughes, etc that he will get a chance or 2 in the years to come. Either that or he is happy just to wait for his chance to shine once more. Plus he is quite young still and is probably happy to be learning from one of the best around.

He has just signed a new deal himself so i guess he has had some reassurances from Hughes, etc that he will get a chance or 2 in the years to come. Either that or he is happy just to wait for his chance to shine once more. Plus he is quite young still and is probably happy to be learning from one of the best around.

I've seen the video interview of Jason Brown on Rovers World when he signed the new contract and he said roughly that.

By all accounts Frank Fielding is something special and is in contention for more England recognition. He might be challenging Brad within that timeframe but he certainly will have some big gloves to fill when he does.

Wasn't there a picture of him when he first went to Wycombe with Brad's gloves on?

As long as we don't give him away for a nominal fee with a sell on clause.

Well done Brad, if only there were more players with his ability and mentality. I thought it was a thing gone by. Some loyalty.

Makes a pleasant change doesn't it......

J Williams from the Lancs Telegraph -

He's a tremendous ambassador for the club, on and off the field, and he's been a fantastic player for the club. He's the consummate professional footballer.

And it was the easiest deal in the world to conclude. Brad doesn't use agents and it took about five minutes to sort out. We're delighted to see him extend his stay.

Wonder if they had time for a cup of coffee this time?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw a Peter Schmeichal (sp?) save recently which was supposed to be one of the greatest in recent history. However, I'm sure Brad has matched if not bettered that - particularly a save from a Van Nistelrooy effort which I vaguely remembered.

So this got me thinking, what is Friedel's greatest save...?

I saw a Peter Schmeichal (sp?) save recently which was supposed to be one of the greatest in recent history. However, I'm sure Brad has matched if not bettered that - particularly a save from a Van Nistelrooy effort which I vaguely remembered.

So this got me thinking, what is Friedel's greatest save...?

Surprised nobody has come up with one yet. I'll go first then:

Save from Viduka at home to Leeds. Ball crossed to the far post, returned back across goal and Viduka heads the ball from about 6 yards. Brad, who is going the wrong way to cover the ball coming across, somehow manages to change direction and tip it low round the post. Absolutely bloody unbelievable.

Im a goalkeeper myself,and one of the finest saves ive seen Brad make was in the recent game against Man United.it was the save when Tevez turn and shot,and brilliant reflexes to stop and gather on the line.i also remember a shot by I think either Gerrard or riise that was heading for the top corner,and he flung himself to the right,and tipped it over.

the league cup final for me against spuds.

any one of his tremendous 4/5 that day- they were so important to give rovers another major trophy.

Surprised nobody has come up with one yet. I'll go first then:

Save from Viduka at home to Leeds. Ball crossed to the far post, returned back across goal and Viduka heads the ball from about 6 yards. Brad, who is going the wrong way to cover the ball coming across, somehow manages to change direction and tip it low round the post. Absolutely bloody unbelievable.

I couldn't remember who the above save was against, but that was quality C2003 I think. It was either that or the save he made from Van Nistlehorse in the Carling Cup Semi final at Old Trafford in 2006? Ball crossed from the right, Ruud got his head to the ball and actually started to wheel away in celebration, before the big man got down to his left and turned it away for a corner.

I'm pretty sure that the save is on You tube somewhere, but I can't look for it at the moment as I'm at work :angry2:

the league cup final for me against spuds.

any one of his tremendous 4/5 that day- they were so important to give rovers another major trophy.

Think I might go with the one where he scooped the ball off Ferdinand's toe without fouling him. Misses - it's a definite pen and sending off,- but he takes it beautifully in a high pressure game.

I thought Brad was on the way out about 4 years ago. he seemed to be beaten quite easily often, usually from free kicks. Over the last couple of seasons though he has been absolutely fantastic and should have easily been in the team of the year. I think as he's got older he's come to terms with his weaknesses and has made allowances for them. He was never that good at catching so instead now he nearly always punches and he's got so good at it that he hardly ever gets it wrong. A classic example was our first goal on Saturday. What was their goalie trying to do? Brad would have just punched it away from the danger area and that would have been it. Lets hope he can carry on at his current standard for another 3 or 4 years.

Archived