BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Sold ??

If there's to be a takeover, I just hope its not Thaksin Shinawatra (ousted ex thai prime minister) since his interest in taking over a premiership club is well documented. With the junta which ousted him looking to press charges about corruption, we could even become one of the 'frozen' assets!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it doesn't mean that it was ray ranson who was after buying us, mate. but since i have seen on the beeb this morning that he hs made this offer for man citeh, then it stands to reason why he would go after them.

if rovers are in the process of being sold, then we all know what the club is like when it comes to releasing news about us, this will probably take months and months.

What the hell is going on in the premier league??? Does anybody care about the football AT ALL anymore? There is a new takeover every week, and Americans seem to be doing all the buying.

I will be amazed if it isnt an American consortium that eventually buys City, AMAZED!

Why has there been no major news articles or debate about the influence the Americans are starting to have? I just cant get my head around it at all. They have already bought United, Villa, Liverpool (sure i've missed one there) and are trying to get there hands on Arsenal. They are taking many yound English lads on scholarships to get them into there MLS, and they've gone and signed Beckham.

Am i parranoid or is there something strange going on?

Apologies for the lack of spelling or grammar present.

Am i parranoid?

Yes :P

MLS will always struggle to become a stronger, the introduction of beckham will help but the problem that most americans don't even know who he is means not much will change. They did a little piece on channel 5, pre Yankees game, on is it easier to get Brits to watch Baseball or Yanks to watch Soccer. The end result was in favour of the brits to baseball because there is no way yanks would watch football as it's like "Watching Paint Dry".

I think the Yanks just need something to do with their money and the premiership is more interesting than MLS, MLB, NHL or NFL

Yes :P

MLS will always struggle to become a stronger, the introduction of beckham will help but the problem that most americans don't even know who he is means not much will change. They did a little piece on channel 5, pre Yankees game, on is it easier to get Brits to watch Baseball or Yanks to watch Soccer. The end result was in favour of the brits to baseball because there is no way yanks would watch football as it's like "Watching Paint Dry".

I think the Yanks just need something to do with their money and the premiership is more interesting than MLS, MLB, NHL or NFL

I don't know. America has a massive population, the same as the whole of Western europe and posesses a very large and expanding Mexican and South American population who love their footie. It would require a realtively small penetration in the sports market for the US "soccer" league to have the same amount of players and resources to get close to English standards.

I fully expect the US to become a major player both in terms of the national team and domestic compeition in the next ten years or so.

In a way it would be a shame as you could get the position of the US producing potentially world beating teams but STILL not actually being that big a deal across the US as a whole. All to do with the vastness of the country.

From what I understand, the American TV networks are doing a pretty good job in keeping soccer in the minor sports category.

There is no doubt soccer is building in America but it will need more than an ageing Beckham to propel it to a higher level. When the USA starts looking like becoming a real challenger to win the World Cup and its star players are not attracted to Europe it will begin to challenge the ingrained prejudice against it in the domestic market.

Perhaps worth looking at the Australian situation. Ten to fifteen years ago, soccer was very much the immigrants' game and roundly despised by Australians. Now it has gained a serious following/foothold but looks very much to the European leagues for market focus.

Americans seeing that as the natural evolution of the game at home are buying into EPL ahead of the wave. The time is good with the new TV rights deals but they are only doing it to make profits; not so Brit soccer fans can get excited at them splashing the green backs on hopelessly over paid under performers. On that basis, Icelandic or Russian ownership makes more sense for EPL clubs' fans.

I don't understand how a claim like this could be taken seriously. Let's say a Burnley supporter hacked into a MB members account, and concocted something like this. No matter if it was one of the admins/moderators themselves making the claim, we can't be sure of the identity, or the sincerity of the person over an internet messageboard.

I'll believe it when I see it.

From what I understand, the American TV networks are doing a pretty good job in keeping soccer in the minor sports category.

It's a whole lot better now than it used to be. Fox (Sky) have there own channel that shows games all day everyday from the Premier League, Italy, South America, and has MLS every week. Football is still a minor sport and will be for a long time until major TV sees money from advertising revenue, then it will get more coverage.

There is no doubt soccer is building in America but it will need more than an ageing Beckham to propel it to a higher level. When the USA starts looking like becoming a real challenger to win the World Cup and its star players are not attracted to Europe it will begin to challenge the ingrained prejudice against it in the domestic market.

The USA have some decent players, but it goes against the American sport psyche to watch as it is continuous. Some journo's have some real malice toward football and won't give it any time, others are just stupid.

Would an American buy Rovers? I doubt it. Come to think of it, who would want to buy Rovers? Depressed area, small fan base, unfashionable in the media. We do have a nice kit to market though.

Actually, several networks have sprouted up in the US that show mostly football: Fox Soccer, Gol TV and Setanta Sports. Obviously there is a niche out there for them, as Setanta and Gol TV are relatively new.

I grew up playing in America and I have to admit that their facilities, coaching and level of competition compare very favourably to France, a country that has a very good set-up and produces a large number of top quality players. The problem that I have seen and that I've heard said quite a lot is that once players become older and start getting into high school the top athletes are usually drawn in to the bigger sports, particularly football and basketball. I see no reason why America can't start to produce top football players in the same way that they produce top athletes in every sport they play. I'm not sure that they'll ever be the major footballing power, but they'll certainly improve over the coming years.

I'm a Rovers fan and I've got Henry Winter's mobile number - that gives me a link to the press.

It's quite beyond me why people keep posting bullsh!t based on such rubbish.

Let's get something straight here. This is only the SECOND rumour from this source that I have EVER posted in my umpteen years as a member of this messageboard. The other story I posted, from the same source, concerned the news that Frannie Jeffers would sign for us, two days before the announcement was made by club or the press.

Now considering that this story, which I heavily trailed that it was only rumour and may well be incorrect, concerns a far more important matter I thought it in the interests of the board members to share the story. If Henry Winter texted you that Rovers were to be sold, then no doubt you would keep it to yourself, Tris.

Is this really still beyond you?

. The problem that I have seen and that I've heard said quite a lot is that once players become older and start getting into high school the top athletes are usually drawn in to the bigger sports, particularly football and basketball.

I wouldn't have thought that basketball and American football would be a major problem, since American football players are built like tanks and basketballers are ten feet tall. Not particularly footballing physiques.

Let's get something straight here. This is only the SECOND rumour from this source that I have EVER posted in my umpteen years as a member of this messageboard. The other story I posted, from the same source, concerned the news that Frannie Jeffers would sign for us, two days before the announcement was made by club or the press.

So how is Franny's grandmother ...? :unsure:

Numbers are increasing. They will come, in time. Football is a great opportunity to encourage integration.

You're beginning to sound like a politician , Mum :)

I would suggest that the increasing numbers of Asians attending (which is still virtually insignificant even if it has increased) is purely down to the decreasing cost of the tickets . When we start giving them away they will no doubt make up the majority ......especially when UTD are the visitors .

On a related issue you could probably walk around Blackburn for a week without spotting an Asian with a Rovers' shirt .

Funny you should say that! My name is on the list of candidates for Clayton North this election. Only for the Parish Council this time but I rather fancy the post of Prime Minister.................. ;)

On a related issue you could probably walk around Blackburn for a week without spotting an Asian with a Rovers' shirt

Never seen any in Blackburn but have seen a couple in Preston and Chorley ..........

You're beginning to sound like a politician , Mum :)

I would suggest that the increasing numbers of Asians attending (which is still virtually insignificant even if it has increased) is purely down to the decreasing cost of the tickets . When we start giving them away they will no doubt make up the majority ......especially when UTD are the visitors .

On a related issue you could probably walk around Blackburn for a week without spotting an Asian with a Rovers' shirt .

I tend to see more then one a week :tu:

I fully expect the US to become a major player both in terms of the national team and domestic compeition in the next ten years or so.

Isn't that what they said after the 94' world cup?

Now considering that this story, which I heavily trailed that it was only rumour and may well be incorrect, concerns a far more important matter I thought it in the interests of the board members to share the story. If Henry Winter texted you that Rovers were to be sold, then no doubt you would keep it to yourself, Tris.

Is this really still beyond you?

It's all who you know, not what you know on here......

Isn't that what they said after the 94' world cup?

True, but ultimately they are in a much better position today. It is taking off in certain areas and many manymore people are interested in footie.

Proof is the pudding but i would anticipate things coming on leaps and bounds over the next decade. The signing of Beckham has shown there is cash in it. ANd where there is money talent follows, as the Premiership has show.

Am i parranoid or is there something strange going on?

No you're not. Some of us have been speaking about this for years but usually get pilloried. Now the truth has arrived. The PL is about nothing other than money, has become a totally uncompetitive league and for many clubs the consequences can now be seen in the stands. These foreign takeovers are very bad news for English football.

Why is it happening? Two simple reasons: there is money to be made ~ anyone who thinks these people invest for any reason other than profit and/or a rich man's plaything is deluded.

Secondly I believe I'm right in saying the PL is the only major league where these takeovers could happen. Someone will correct me but IMO, the top Spanish clubs can't be bought because of their structure, Italian clubs are in a mess, declinging gates etc and who would want to invest in the French, German or Dutch leagues? There may also be some regulation in Germany that prevents foreign ownership but I'm vague about this. The PL is drowning in cash so the rich men come sniffing. Killed the game in my view.

Archived