BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Preview

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is going to be one massively tough game for us. Charlton have to start as favourites because theyhave so much riding on the outcome and won't want to disappoint the travelling fans.

We can probably get a draw- a result which will be no good for either club.

I love the tough games :brfc:

What a game, one we deserved to win and once we got the first they flowed.

What a finish by derbs, the guy is just class. Some fantastic performances today, only really bad point was warnock's mistake for the goal but he made up for it later on.

The push for top 7 continues! Bring on Newcastle.

edit: MC 4-0 over luton, 4-1 over everton (both in cup)

MC 4-0 over luton, 4-1 over everton (both in cup)

Good to see Gretna complete the run up the leagues into the SPL with a injury time winner. Birmingham look to be coming back up, with our trget muamba being sent off for them.

Good result, we didn't really play that well at the start of the second half. If Thatcher had gone off we might have been in trouble.

But all in all we were decent. Charlton got some terrible luck being down to nine at the end. Derbyhire's finihing was outstanding but he is going to hae real trouble displacing Roberts. His touch might be appalling but has so much power. Emerton and Warnock were brilliant going forward yet both poor in defence. Mokoena just looks a totally different player, very good. Our last three games are difficult but we neeed to keep hammering away.

nice win but the other results have destroyed us.

It is very hard for us to get into the top 7. We need the teams who are on form to hit the wall. 3 wins means we have 56 points, that'll put us very close to everton and notlob.

Awful game. The majority of our players were going through the motions. We were very fortunate Carson had an absolute 'mare, and that Charlton really are as bad as their league position suggests. Once again McCarthy didn't look interested, and Pedersen had a shocker. Thank goodness Roberts is willing to put himself about as he was our only outlet today - Bentley's lost his early season form, which is to be expected.

All in all, whilst it's a welcome three points, the performance has left me dissapointed.

Wouldn't say it was an awful game but Rovers typically made hard work of it. So frustrating watching them in the first half when it seemed they thought it was an exhibition game trying to walk the ball over the line than shoot. We got a couple of lucky breaks which will hopefully spur them on to better performances in the next few games.

We were brilliant, never doubted we would get the result! That third goal was excellent! It was always just a matter of time til we got that first one and even after the terrible mistake for their goal we really reacted well! you could see the pride they all had in their performance!

Exiled Rover, get a life and enjoy it while the sun shines!

So then, Operation Ewood rolled into Blackburn on a cool end of April Saturday when the promise of a cool 21-23 degress had been forecasted by our professional weather watchers.

Nearly 6000 red t shirted fans from Charlton headed North, battling the motorway chaos along with an estimated 5000 supporters from the other relegation haunted team from the Smoke, WHAMFC. Oh how it must have been fun for the 200 or so extra coaches for the motorway traffic.

Previous history and results had Rovers fans slightly concerned about Charlton coming to Ewwod and actually taking the 3 points back doen the motorway, I mean in respect of the lesser teams, where Rovers have buckled a la wham and Villa, as witnessed recently at Ewood Park.

So then, another fine statistic on arrival at the ground saw Rovers unchanged yet again. Is this a record for the 4th consecutive game or are Rovers on a roll with a steady formation ? The d'arren end was awash with the cheap 4.99 t-shirts that their club had produced as part of their campaign to save their skins. In the Blackburn sunshine, the Addicks fans sung and danced as the kick off approached. I was slightly apprehensive having learned tht Manure had scored 4 away goals in 20 mins to sink Everton whilst the cheek of the winkers of Bolton had somehow held the mighty Chelsea at their pit giving the title to scumchester reds. I really thought the conspiring football Gods where on a mischievious day and fully anticipated their arrival at The Real Theatre of Dreams.

The first half was pitiful, awful and scrappy rolled into one. It was only memorable for the booking of Thatcher the thug and the poor link up play from BRFC. As Rovers huffed and puffd there was little in the way of a goal as the last touches just were not there.

Half time 0-0.

Clearly, at that point, Charlton would have to come out for the second half and play with the news that wham had gone 1-0 up at little old wigon town.

So the teams emerge with Tugay having completed his half time warm up, having replaced the injured David Dunn. I was slightly miffed as I had a bet on him to open the scoring.

Back into the stride, Rovers were again huffing with efforts to score a goal, it was certain that only a mistake or penalty would result in the first goal. Hey presto ! Scott Carson, a much talked about keeper who Rovers could have one eye on as a Brad replacement, defied his recent heroics by deflecting a Jason Roberts grubber kick into the net. 1-0 Rovers game in the bag or so we thought. A flurry of Charlton substitutions saw a little more attacking enterprise from the men in red and then disaster. What Warnock was thinking about as he headed the ball aimlessly and under no pressure whatsoever towards the d'arren end terracing, a misheader and the ball curved onto the bar leaving big Brad flummoxed and too late to react as Darren Bent followed up and headed the equaliser. 1-1.

More thuggery from Thatcher the hatchet saw him get a red although from my seat in JW Upper, he was clearly duped by a swan dive from Bents. 10 men Charlton were gonna be up against so the only option for them was to put a defender on and take the 1 point that they had in the bag. Our old forward Marcus was sacrificed clearly having little effect on Rovers defenders.

A secon peice of luck saw Rovers scuff into a 2-1 lead as MGP tried to thread a pass through only to see Herman the muppet deflect it in to the net. 2-1 Rovers and the Charlton fans silenced. A short time later, a series of fantastic flicks and short passes saw MGP, Benni and Tugay involved before an audacious back drag released MGP who squared for Jason to notch his second goal, again via a deflection. 3-1 Rovers and game over.

Enter young Matty for Benni. First touch after a marvellous clearance by Samba saw the ball despatched into the Blackburn End goal with the aplomb of a master finisher, this young man is gonna be sensational. 4-1 Rovers and Charlton staring at a real hammering.

Further woes for the men in red saw them reduced to 9 men with an injury as Rovers swamped all over them. I am certain Rovers backed off out of sypmathy as the goals for column should have made at least 7. Chances came and went and the ref blew his whistle, sending little old Charlton doomed in the Championship without a hope.

So, we have another home win and its now 3 to go. Trips to Newcastle and Spuds await us next before the grand finale versus Reading at Ewood.

If I have to gripe today then its the obvious frustration of ow Rovers and in particular Benni always seems to find himself offside when it is easier not to be !

Now back home enjoying a beer whilst waiting the arrival of a nice red hot curry, my thoughts turn to the footballing gods. The flookers saw fit to give Ewood a flying visit and grant us that little bit of lady luck that a certain Mr Sourness could never have believed. I only hope that come next saturday they visit the magpies team and bless our lot with a positive result. Even more so the following midweek when we go to WHL and North London.

Have a nice Saturday evening folks and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

The BRFC Roller Coaster is showing no sign of stalling to a stop, indeed it would appear the club is gaining maximum momentum.

Enjoy :brfc:

Just got back, not the best performance in the world, but a nice goal at the end from Matty. I thought it was very Shearer like! Great skill from Benni for the third. Benni and Roberts seem to get in each others way i the first half. My man of the match was Emerton, who made some great runs with th ball, though It obviously helped him, when the left back got sent off ;)

Archived