BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Preview

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now most of us like a good rant but it is a bit ridiculous at the moment. Sure it wasn't a great performance but we got there eventually and 4-1 will do just fine.

The thing is that some on here were complaining after the Villa match that we were going down! Seven points from three games later and still the moans continue!

Come on lads (or lasses)...we are still in with a chance of Europe again after having our best ever continental campaign and reaching our third semi-final in three years. We also have the best squad for quite some time and for once I can't really think of any players in our squad who I would actually want to leave. Added to this we are being linked in the press with players of the quality of Craig Bellamy.

Oh and the sun is out as well. Cheer up! This is a good time to be a Rovers fan. :tu:

Well said Speedie.

The criticism of McCarthy is a joke.

Try as he might and I think he does, he's always going to get unfair criticism because he aint no Steven Reid. If you haven't got the physical stamina, then you haven't got it. He could train twice a day, but it wouldn't improve his fitness above where it is now. It's not, as a lot of people say, laziness, I'm sure he does his best. With Benni, what you see is what you get, that wont change. He isn't going to turn into Steven Gerrard No2 overnight, he's not got the physique.

All the critics have to decide whether they're happy with 20+ goals a season. If that's not enough, then decide where you find someone better.

I dont think some fans understand the concept of a finisher. I guess if Ronaldo was with us and I mean the Brazilian one, even if he scored 30 goals a season he would be ripped to shreds by some people. Benni's job is to score goals and he has scored over 20 goals in his first season and thats a great return for a player in a mid-table side. Its not his job to do the running even though we all love hard-working players. His job is to put the ball at the back of the net and his finishing has been rather good.

Try as he might and I think he does, he's always going to get unfair criticism because he aint no Steven Reid. If you haven't got the physical stamina, then you haven't got it. He could train twice a day, but it wouldn't improve his fitness above where it is now. It's not, as a lot of people say, laziness, I'm sure he does his best. With Benni, what you see is what you get, that wont change. He isn't going to turn into Steven Gerrard No2 overnight, he's not got the physique.

All the critics have to decide whether they're happy with 20+ goals a season. If that's not enough, then decide where you find someone better.

These wise words from Den, combined with Pardew's observations about Benni McCarthy in an earlier post, tell the whole story for me - which means I think that those knocking him are wrong, and are lacking some understanding of how he contributes to the cause.

He knows what sort of player he is, and what sort of opportunity he can turn into a goal. He also knows his own fitness and how he can retain his sharpness over 90 minutes (especially at the tail end of this - the most gruelling season he will ever have played).

All the evidence - through our own eyes and backed up by the inevitable stats - shows that McCarthy puts his chances away. His record as a striker in this country is only bettered by Drogba, and Drogba has 200 million quids worth of superstar talent behind him setting the chances up.

When our lot give him the service he needs, McCarthy is delivering the goods - emphatically so. If he winds a few fans up with a lack of movement between firing the goals in - then so be it. The fact is that he knows his game, knows his fitness and nails his chances - and has won Rovers a barrowload of points by doing things his way.

No striker will ever win the hearts of the Rovers public, because they have to follow Garner and Shearer.

Sutton, Gally1, Jansen, Cole, Stead, Gally2, Bellamy, McCarthy, Derbyshire (and yes, even Paul Dickov) all have their strengths and weaknesses, their fans and their critics.

Right now, McCarthy is our main man, and we should applaud his strengths and his outstanding contribution this season, rather than picking holes where there aren't really holes to pick.

and Tris, I have no doubt at all that Benni would have probably been right up there on goals scored if he had played the whole season at Chelsea instead of Drogba. Just look how many chances Chelsea can create in a match.

The contrast for me is as other posters point out;

Dickov vs. Benni

As fustrating as people find his laid back style of play, Benni has more talent in his little finger than Dickov had in his whole body and as long as he is scoring goals he can lay down on the edge of the box and have a kip for me.

I found the Charlton game frustrating I felt we should have scored more, but Derbyshire was playing againist 9 men and very tired defence so to contrast his performance with Benni is hardly fair.

The problem with rovers fans is that we simply aren’t use to flair players upfront . We either have the headless chicken type or powerhouse with the first touch of a three year old. Even shearer with all his power, pace and finishing ability didn’t have the skill of a Mcarthy .It is extremely rare when a player with such natural ability can combine that with work rate ,that is when clubs begin to shell out 45mill + on the likes of zidane, figo etc. lets all enjoy Benni’s’s skill and finish ability

The problem with rovers fans is that we simply aren’t use to flair players upfront . We either have the headless chicken type or powerhouse with the first touch of a three year old. Even shearer with all his power, pace and finishing ability didn’t have the skill of a Mcarthy .It is extremely rare when a player with such natural ability can combine that with work rate ,that is when clubs begin to shell out 45mill + on the likes of zidane, figo etc. lets all enjoy Benni’s’s skill and finish ability

Check out the highlights video of the 94/95 season on YouTube Shearer certianly did have some ball skills, and pace and power.

Benni has done brilliantly for us, and I would be devastated if he went, but there is something in his criticism. He can put more effort in without damaging his natural game, and I think he has been doing that to an extent recently. Hughes will continue to push him to do more off the ball, especially when we have lost possession.

Also as Benni lacks pace and passing ability he does all of his work in the box, so people should have limited expectations as to what he is going to achieve if he recieves the ball 40 yards from goal.

Nonetheless the best finisher we have had since shearer.

:rover: I THOUGHT THE GAME WAS A TYPICAL END OFF SEASON GAME,fantastic support by the charlton fans and a goalkeeper doing his impersonation off david james. as far as i'm concerned the season is over,and once again it;s been a good,un <_<:brfc:

Check out the highlights video of the 94/95 season on YouTube Shearer certianly did have some ball skills, and pace and power.

Benni has done brilliantly for us, and I would be devastated if he went, but there is something in his criticism. He can put more effort in without damaging his natural game, and I think he has been doing that to an extent recently. Hughes will continue to push him to do more off the ball, especially when we have lost possession.

Also as Benni lacks pace and passing ability he does all of his work in the box, so people should have limited expectations as to what he is going to achieve if he recieves the ball 40 yards from goal.

Nonetheless the best finisher we have had since shearer.

Yeah i think im pretty familiar with shearer's game seen him about 25 times live & 100s time on the box. What i was saying is that Alan was never a flair player he was a typical ' english ' style forward ( pace, power, workrate, good first touch etc) when at rovers, Mcarthy does not have these attributes , what he does posses is finishing, craft, creativity something which we have rarely had at rovers

as far as i'm concerned the season is over,and once again it;s been a good,un <_<:brfc:

Couldn't agree more waggy. This season has provided superb entertainment which makes the drop off in crowds and some of the posters attitudes on here so mystefying.

Why does everyone keep on saying Charlton bought 6,000 fans down!! Where i was sat from (BBE Lower) there were only around 4,500 - 5,000 max???

Well Tom Finn said at the Fans' Forum last night that there were about 6,000 there and he should know.

to be honest with a team fighting for there lives i thought

they would have given us a tougher game than that,in 90

minutes of football think they had 3 chances one created

by us,even had a laugh at one of the charlton fans a fella

around about 50 yrs old grey beard no hair threatning to take

all the riverside on outside the ground,funnily enough on the

official board someone has posted some pics from a charlton

board and hes on there,really frightning bloke,not.

and Tris, I have no doubt at all that Benni would have probably been right up there on goals scored if he had played the whole season at Chelsea instead of Drogba. Just look how many chances Chelsea can create in a match.

Too right!

I was thinking similar watching Arsenal on MOTD this weekend. Next time you see Arsenal, imagine Benni up front for them and think how many chances he'd get. He'd have more than 30 goals by now.

Benni relies on great service from the midfield. For most of the season that service has been lacking. Despite that he's got 21 goals. My player of the season!

Couldn't agree more waggy. This season has provided superb entertainment which makes the drop off in crowds and some of the posters attitudes on here so mystefying.

I've enjoyed this season ,so far.

We've shown that we can compete in Europe,and well and truely buried the euro jinx,we've been one Pedersen miss away from a place at the New Wembley.(If only.........................)

On Boxing Day when Liverpool came to Ewood, and we beat them,and Rovers were a few points from the drop zone,then what a relief it was to put a run together and pull clear,and being in top ten now, is quite admirable.

We came out far better in the Lucas Neill deal,and we've got some very talented players in Warnock, Derbyshire, Bentley etc.

So,with no U.E.F.A Cup commitments next season, I think Rovers have set the foundations to be a very decent side.

I'm looking forward to a new season,and after two years in the Riverside, i've changed my seat back to the B/burn End.

I Don't think we can get 7th place, but it's not impossible.I think Reading beating Newcastle on Monday put pay to any chances we still had. :brfc:

Too right!

I was thinking similar watching Arsenal on MOTD this weekend. Next time you see Arsenal, imagine Benni up front for them and think how many chances he'd get. He'd have more than 30 goals by now.

Benni relies on great service from the midfield. For most of the season that service has been lacking. Despite that he's got 21 goals. My player of the season!

Don't ever say that again!

Aaaargh, Arsenal need a striker

These wise words from Den, combined with Pardew's observations about Benni McCarthy in an earlier post, tell the whole story for me - which means I think that those knocking him are wrong, and are lacking some understanding of how he contributes to the cause.

He knows what sort of player he is, and what sort of opportunity he can turn into a goal. He also knows his own fitness and how he can retain his sharpness over 90 minutes (especially at the tail end of this - the most gruelling season he will ever have played).

All the evidence - through our own eyes and backed up by the inevitable stats - shows that McCarthy puts his chances away. His record as a striker in this country is only bettered by Drogba, and Drogba has 200 million quids worth of superstar talent behind him setting the chances up.

When our lot give him the service he needs, McCarthy is delivering the goods - emphatically so. If he winds a few fans up with a lack of movement between firing the goals in - then so be it. The fact is that he knows his game, knows his fitness and nails his chances - and has won Rovers a barrowload of points by doing things his way.

No striker will ever win the hearts of the Rovers public, because they have to follow Garner and Shearer.

Sutton, Gally1, Jansen, Cole, Stead, Gally2, Bellamy, McCarthy, Derbyshire (and yes, even Paul Dickov) all have their strengths and weaknesses, their fans and their critics.

Right now, McCarthy is our main man, and we should applaud his strengths and his outstanding contribution this season, rather than picking holes where there aren't really holes to pick.

Tut tut Tris , I thought you would understand better playing the game n all and a little hypocritical considering your respective criticism of Dunn.

I applaud McCarthy for his contribution of the goals - but I'll say again what else has he really contributed in the last 3-4 months in the way of teamplay? - I don't want him running around like a headless chicken, and neither do I want him barging people of the ball or chasing the ball down on the half way line - what I do expect though is for him to get on the end of crosses more regularly and provide an option by actually staying onside more than he is off and creating space and actuall making at least a decent attempt at controlling a ball or going for it within his vicinity when played in his direction. Just because he has scored the goals he is not above criticism and although I don't have the stats I would argue your statement he puts his chances away - especially just before and post Xmas. Would be interesting to note how many times an attack has broken down due to his lack of effort/concentration.

People are slagging Nonda for his misses, me included, but his goal ratio is excellent for his number of starts.

My gripe is as I have said before, he could have done so much more for himself and for the team - we are not talking about a newcomer to the game or a low wage earner - he is getting paid handsomely and has played at an high level - yet sometimes he looks like he just doesn't want to be here. I have posted before he has got the talent for all to see and is excellent in the air and at finishing - and does something that I think is a sign of an excellent striker - he follows up very well, this proven by alot of his 'tap in's'.

Contrary to what you have posted though - I think he has won over alot of hearts of the Blackburn Public as the responses on here prove - however I just feel the criticism is fair as I have explained.

Do you reckon? Benni blast

Have to say I wish Benni would try from distance more, he's obviously capable.

Too right!

Actually I feel as though Arsenal is a team he would be singularly unsuited to playing in. Arsenal rely on pace from their forwards to complement their rapid counter attacking style. This is not Benni's greatest attribute. Further, he has an annoying habit (in my opinion his worst habit) of being offside a lot, as we all know. This would kill lots of Arsenal's such attacks. Also, whilst he does, as the link I posted above demonstrates, have the ability to do great things with the ball from that distance, he rarely seems to actually do so, and certainly doesn't burst forward with the ball at his feet like Arsenal's front line.

Archived