• Stephen Warnock
    • Chris Samba
    • None of the above
    • Lee Grooby

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As this thread is titled it is the player of the season which has to go to the most consistent in their performances.

Come on down Mr Bentley - a bit of a lull upto the last week but overall a very good season with goals to boot as well just pipping our big man...

Friedal - another outstanding season - penalty saves and great performance again over the season

McCarthy may well have scored the goals , but other than a few little fancy flicks as done little else IMO especially over the last 3 or 4 months and as its player and not goalscorer therein lies the answer - however cracking achievement for the tally none the less but needs to show more - should we expect more though?.

Emerton - best season since he has been here but been a bit hit and miss at times going back into Bert MKI mode which has let him down.

Best of the rest - Mokoena (never thought I would say this)/ Tugay / Derbyshire / Savage

i voted for emerton, benni or bentley will win it but for me after the stick and boo boys on berts back last season, what a transformation!!!!

asked to fill in a right back, right wing, yeah he has made mistakes, mostly in the air but his commitment has been top class.

well impressed and deserved his 4 year contract. :brfc:

McCarthy may well have scored the goals , but other than a few little fancy flicks as done little else IMO especially over the last 3 or 4 months and as its player and not goalscorer therein lies the answer - however cracking achievement for the tally none the less but needs to show more - should we expect more though?.

McCarthy's job is to score goals. He's scored 21 of those. I'd say he's fulfilled his obligations.

McCarthy's job is to score goals. He's scored 21 of those. I'd say he's fulfilled his obligations.

to score goals ... but what else

as it is Friedal's to stop them going in which I would say he has done to a very high standard ... so on that reckoning he has filled his obligations .. and IMO much more than Benni in terms of winning/gaining us points.

However, Bentley has shown the most consistency and contributed the most in terms of general play and goals hence the decision.

as mentioned - its PLAYER of the season which in my book the one that has contributed the most.

Certainly one of the hardest votes in this. Overall we've had a successful enough season and there's an old cliche that all the players have played their part and it's pretty unfair to single out one such player.

WINNER:

Anyhow, as hard as it was it has to be Brad for me.

Always has performed and never once put in a below-par performance. Has won us at least 12-15 points single-handedly and delighted to see him sign a new extension to his contract. Without this man, we would be possibly lost in the lower end of the table and not as successful as we were this season.

FOLLOWED CLOSELY:

Definitely Bents and McCarthy have given a huge account of themselves and closely followed my vote for Brad. They certainly have played massive part of our season, but on a few occasions they both had dips (more so Benni) in form and I think this is crucial when it comes to this vote. However if Warnock had joined us from the start, then the vote could have easily went to him.

OTHER NOTABLE PERFORMERS:

Chris Samba

Ryan Nelsen

Tugay

Matt Derbyshire

1) David BENTLEY - Has really blossomed and his patience and work-rate have started to pay off big-time.

2) Benni MCCARTHY - Goal machine of the highest order. I watch him sometimes and wonder where they all came from!

3) Brett EMERTON - So improved and certainly in the first half of the season, he was probably our best player in my opinion.

1. Benni has done very well in his first season of English football......Currently joint 2nd highest scorer in the Prem!

2. Brad Friedel.....Mr consistancy and still one of the best keepers in the Prem.

3. Bentley/Derbyshire...... Excellent young prospects and glad that we have them at Ewood.

to score goals ... but what else

as it is Friedal's to stop them going in which I would say he has done to a very high standard ... so on that reckoning he has filled his obligations .. and IMO much more than Benni in terms of winning/gaining us points.

However, Bentley has shown the most consistency and contributed the most in terms of general play and goals hence the decision.

as mentioned - its PLAYER of the season which in my book the one that has contributed the most.

Sorry Capt I agree with a lot of what you say but I think you have the blinkers on for McCarthy. If he played for one the top sides they would appreciate him for what he does, not what he doesn't do. He;s scored 21 goals in his first season in English football, that is an outstanding achievement. Could he do better? Maybe he could, there is always room for improvement but that doesn't diminish what he has done.

It's quite simple really, give him the service and he'll score the goals. He isn't the kind of player that will charge around the pitch after lost causes but what he does do is score goals, and lots of them.

I feel that when you look at the starting point of Brett Emerton i.e. we all wanted rid and could not understand why he was still anywhere near our team, and then look at what he has achieved this season, he has to get my vote. I think Bentley's great and can understand those who feel McCarthy deserves their vote for the goals but zero to hero has to be Brett.

There's four players in the running in my mind: Friedel, Bentley, McCarthy and Emerton.

Bentley and Emerton are the most improved players at the club. Both have had good seasons and now have something to build on for the future. Friedel and McCarthy have come in week in, week out and done their job. I'd suggest Friedel has been more consistent than McCarthy, but Benni has bagged an incredible amount of goals (both the spectacular and the poachers goals). For that reason, he's my choice for player of the season

David Bentley for me too. He came to us as some 9 stone weakling and best known as being an Arsenal reject.

No he's being touted as a possible England player.

I'll take a counter claim for anyone else, but for most improved there is no argement

We're onto the third page of this thread and continue to miss the most telling contribution on and off the pitch this season:

David Bentley - come on leaps and bounds and deserves his call-up with a season of consistently high standards as befitting a young up and coming player with something to prove in his own mind.

Benni McCarthy - 20 goals and still counting, technically excellent, a great leader of the line and possessing class in abundance. Has done his job fantastically well.

Brad Friedel - as usual, has probably saved as many points as the rest have earned. Is there a better 'keeper outside Stamford Bridge?

However, to me, the player of the season has to be old man Tugay for his performances throughout the season when injuries meant he was playing more than planned, the influence he has on colleagues and the junior players, his ability to control the game from the middle of the park to allow Bentley, Pedersen, McCarthy et al to play their game, the way he conducts himself off the pitch and keeps himself in good nick and, most of all, for being arguably the best player on the ball in the Premiership this season. What better example for Dunny to learn from? What's more, he enjoys playing for the club which always helps.

So, come on and get voting for your favourite (eligible) Turk! :tu:

However, to me, the player of the season has to be old man Tugay for his performances throughout the season when injuries meant he was playing more than planned, the influence he has on colleagues and the junior players, his ability to control the game from the middle of the park to allow Bentley, Pedersen, McCarthy et al to play their game, the way he conducts himself off the pitch and keeps himself in good nick and, most of all, for being arguably the best player on the ball in the Premiership this season. What better example for Dunny to learn from? What's more, he enjoys playing for the club which always helps.

So, come on and get voting for your favourite (eligible) Turk! :tu:

I think TUgay had a great spell around Christmas but its a bit of a push to name him player of the season? Bentley has made more of an overall contribution, and mcCarthy's goals have been invaluable.

Bentley! He's been outstanding this season. Should win goal of the season as well.

Benni comes a close second though.

EDIT: Also why as Samba been listed instead of the likes of Pedersen & Derbyshire?

McCarthy because he has never played in England before and has made a huge impact

He only cost 2.5m and has already scored a bagfull of goals.

See how many players have come over here and failed, or taken a long time to settle (Shevchenko, Ballack, Morientes etc.) and it really does show how brilliantly McCarthy has done.

Amazing

Archived