• Stephen Warnock
    • Chris Samba
    • None of the above
    • Lee Grooby

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry Capt I agree with a lot of what you say but I think you have the blinkers on for McCarthy. If he played for one the top sides they would appreciate him for what he does, not what he doesn't do. He;s scored 21 goals in his first season in English football, that is an outstanding achievement. Could he do better? Maybe he could, there is always room for improvement but that doesn't diminish what he has done.

It's quite simple really, give him the service and he'll score the goals. He isn't the kind of player that will charge around the pitch after lost causes but what he does do is score goals, and lots of them.

No blinkers here MB - just me trusty goggles :P - and just explaining my view on it.

Always argue the tosh on this, like I would saying if somebody scored a hatrick for example in a game - just because they have scored three doesn't always make them match of the match for me if they have done little else, but you will see it given for that more times than not.

As I have said it shouldn't be about the most improved/ most goals scored etc- its about player (team player?) - the one that has played the most for the team as I see it, which to me McCarthy has not done. Yes his goals have been invaluable but I would say Friedal and his contribution has been more and is only pipped by Bentley ... but then again thinking about it now I would actually probably say Friedal deserves it.

I'd say Bentley. Consistently giving his all in games and a definite improvement as a player.

And I'd say that both Friedel and McCarthy are right behind them for the season honours. And although they've only played since January, both Samba and Nelsen have been very consistent as well, and bodes well for next season!

I took my time to think this one through. The obvious choice is Bentley, the man has been on fire this season and his crosses are just amazing. To throw into the mix you have the recovery from the dead of Brett, he has been superb this season and has a top partnership going with bentley. Then you have the wall that is Bradders and there isn't much you can say. Then the goal machine that is Benedict McCarthy, frustrating as hell at times but his goals are the difference at times.

In the end i went with Bentley.

I was torn between Bentley and Brad but settled on Bentley.

Yes, he is undoubtedly the most improved player. I just hope that Rovers can keep hold of him.

Brad has obviously invested in a prolong your life programme which has benefitted him and he has to without doubt be the best free signing EVER.

I went for Bentley over Benni, by a whisker.

These two, plus Emerton, Friedel and Pedersen, are the only players who have been fixtures in the starting line-up this season. This is obviously down to a combination of injuries and a high turnover of players, and leads me to be very optimistic about what we can achieve with a fit and settled squad next season (with the addition of a top striker...Craig Bellamy all is forgiven!)

21 Goals despite being injured for a few games, it has to be McCarthy.

Bentley has played well, as has Pedersen. Derbyshire has come on leaps and bounds, but for goals alone, Benni gets my vote. Not since Shearer have we had a goal scorer that had knocked in that many goals, and we still have a few games left.

Given the opposition, I suspect he may get up somewhere near 25 and that would be fantastic.

:rover: emerton for me,been brilliant this year,though his ball watching and player watching are a liabiity sometimes,bentley does not do enough for me,and benny does score goals-----------------------------------------goals and more----------------------------------goals and gets offside that many flipping times in a match it drives me FLIPPING MAD.

TODDLE PIP :brfc:

For me, Robbie Savage

I realise he's only played half a season but he was a total revelation and won me over.

At the start of this season I wished that he didn't play for the team but I believe it was him more than any other that dragged the team up from their poor start. It became so obvious to see how he was the heartbeat of the team - always there first to celebrate a team mates goal but it was in Krakow where I really realised this. Great header....

I was there at Watford when he was 'done' with a horror tackle that didn't even get a free - kick. I wish him a speedy recovery.

For me, Robbie Savage

I realise he's only played half a season but he was a total revelation and won me over.

At the start of this season I wished that he didn't play for the team but I believe it was him more than any other that dragged the team up from their poor start. It became so obvious to see how he was the heartbeat of the team - always there first to celebrate a team mates goal but it was in Krakow where I really realised this. Great header....

I was there at Watford when he was 'done' with a horror tackle that didn't even get a free - kick. I wish him a speedy recovery.

He was very good for us, and a massive loss (I am sure if he was available we would be a couple of places higher in the table) but how can you vote for a player who has only played half the season?

Surely its all about who has made the biggest contribution?

How come there is no option to vote for Pederson/Gamst? I am not saying I would vote for him, but he should at least be amongst the candidates as he has made a very definite contribution to our success rate this season. Why is he not available to be voted for?

How come there is no option to vote for Pederson/Gamst? I am not saying I would vote for him, but he should at least be amongst the candidates as he has made a very definite contribution to our success rate this season. Why is he not available to be voted for?

As only one person has voted "none of the above" I think my decision not to include him has been justified. There's a limited amount of options you can have on a poll, I've no idea what the limit is, so I picked the players that I thought would possibly get votes. Someone was always going to complain, whoever I left out.

I haven't checked but I think it's a maximum of three questions per poll and 24 choices per question. I'm not bothered but think POTY should include all players or else it becomes entirely subjective. I don't see how one could not include Savage, MGP or Neil (well I can see why Neil isn't included but he was good till he left.)

I haven't checked but I think it's a maximum of three questions per poll and 24 choices per question. I'm not bothered but think POTY should include all players or else it becomes entirely subjective. I don't see how one could not include Savage, MGP or Neil (well I can see why Neil isn't included but he was good till he left.)

Feel free to add them then if it helps - I'm afraid I've no idea how to. Although I'm sure it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

I voted for Bentley, some of his play and crossing this season has been excellent; I'd love to know how many assists he's got. McCarthy was a close second, if only for THAT goal against Arsenal!

Based on the Optra stats Benni should win by a mile. You cant argue with 21 goals!!

Why is Pederson not a nomination? Even with his quite spell his contribution has been immense. His optra stats are very similar Bently's ( last time I looked ). Do some people have a problem admitting what a great player he is.

Really pleased with Brett's contribution. His charges down the wing from the full back slot have been as memorable as anything I have ever seen in football.

But I would go for Bentley for week after week brilliance and outstanding contribution. As great as Benni is , and I will thank him for his goal against Arsenal when I am a very old man, he does tend to go missing in some games and make minimal contribution. When this happens we suffer. Wish he was a little more like Berbatov who always contributes. But the only people to score more goals than him are Ronaldo and Drogba. Enough said!!

Archived