BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle Preview

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see that Sky have made samba's goal line header save of the week-end.

It was a phenomenal piece of positioning and athleticism by Chris. What a hero!

Sensational stuff from Samba indeed,but Sky are a bit awry there.... imo Owens shot was prob missing the goal.

Sensational stuff from Samba indeed,but Sky are a bit awry there.... imo Owens shot was prob missing the goal.

If you look at the last replay in Lathund's link, that ball is heading into the roof of the net just inside the far post.

After the match they were even more condemnatory but one thing they were sure about was that they don't want allardyce. One even had the cheek to ask if they could have Mark Hughes! Samba was his usual legend like self yesterday (I know you usually have to play for a while to reach that status but he is exceptionally entertaining) and Bentley and Warnock were superb. Hope that the knocks the lads took yesterday were not too serious.

I'm not sure beggers can be choosers. Allerdyce is an outstanding manager and just the sort of guy who would be able to piack Newcastle up. If they get some big foreign name in decline (best they can really hope for) he might hold out the promise of attractive football but also could easily not have the characteristics to sort out the defensive side of the game which is clearly Newcastle's problem.

I will be amazed if Newcastle don't sound out Hughes. But I think the fact he has built a team here with prospects and has bigger fish to fry in the long term will keep him here. THe profile of the club, the quality of attacking players and the transfer budget will be attractive though...

I watched Football First and rather liked the trail of bodies Samba kept carelessly leaving lying around as he passed through!

Laughed out loud at that one!

Just to change subject: looking at MOTD and that Youtube clip it's rather surprising that just before that Samba clearance, Owen didn't drop like a bag of cement when he went past Brad. I think plenty would have gone down.

edit...just like to mention that the last 2 previews I've started (& I think it may be the last 3) we've won the games.

If I wasn't me I'd start charging for my services.

Great day yesterday.

Without sounding over confident - we never looked like losing. MGP should have scored two; denied by one great save and a glaring miss. Bentley had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside, even I knew it was a bad decision sat 3 miles away in the upper tier.

I feel sorry for Newcastle. They were awful. Exactly what Michael owen thinks he will achieve there I'm not sure. It looks like a money motivated move to me.

Bentley and Samba had outstanding games, as ever Warnock and Brett were very solid and Tugya had one fo those days.

A great day out, but I do feel for Newcastle.

If you look at the last replay in Lathund's link, that ball is heading into the roof of the net just inside the far post.

I don't think so , Drog ..

Crikey now after me and Jim concurring now you two are in agreement!

Anyway Philip the best view is provided by the first replay. Use the pause facility when Samba actually heads it. His head is 4ft off the line and if you agree with me that shot is either hitting or passing the far post.

His feet are well behind the goal line and he is leaning forwards at about 45 degrees when he heads it. I know he's a tall lad, but he'd need to be about 9ft for his head to be 4ft forwards of the line.

His feet are well behind the goal line and he is leaning forwards at about 45 degrees when he heads it. I know he's a tall lad, but he'd need to be about 9ft for his head to be 4ft forwards of the line.

Crikey this is getting more than a trifle pedantic (maybe we need a poll :rolleyes: ) BUT view the second replay for the best view of his feet and you will see his feet are no more than a few inches behind the line when he actually heads it, so that would make your 45 degree calc somewhat different. btw The 3rd replay is the worst view of all.

Crikey this is getting more than a trifle pedantic (maybe we need a poll :rolleyes: ) BUT view the second replay for the best view of his feet and you will see his feet are no more than a few inches behind the line when he actually heads it, so that would make your 45 degree calc somewhat different. btw The 3rd replay is the worst view of all.

Quit being a bellend man, and just admit Samba stopped a certain goal.

Quit being a bellend man, and just admit Samba stopped a certain goal.

Nope sorry it appears that I'm the only one who took my blue and white specs off before I viewed the youtube vid. We need that cricket technology to confirm that I am indeed right.

I'm more baffled on has to why the Bentley goal was ruled offside and disallowed.It looked a perfectly good goal to me.

At end of day Rovers were the most organised side, and deserved to win,and it's nice to see Roberts finding the form we knew he was capable off.A bit like Yorke and Cole all over again.

I'm more baffled on has to why the Bentley goal was ruled offside and disallowed.It looked a perfectly good goal to me.

Indeed. It's strange that the same linesman whose judgement correctly gave Benni onside on a very close call should be so far out for Bentleys disallowed goal when in reallity Bentley was onside by a country mile right in front of his line.

Bloody good job that it wasn't crucial! Imagine the same wrong decision 2 weeks earlier at OT!! :o

Yet another tick on the card in favour of video refereeing by a 4th official. Although in this case the keeper would be in his rights to complain that as the flag was up he made no real effort to stop it.

Why ? They would not feel sorry for us in similar circumstances. Take the points and say thank you very much.

I'm not saying they would feel sorry for us and no doubt they gave us little thought after their 3-1 win at Ewood. I'm not sorry we beat them - I'm sorry to see them in their current situation.

...but, I think the fans at Newcastle deserve more. Few can argue with that. I don't feel sorry for Roeder or Fat Freddie or any of the players. It's the fans that I have a great deal of time for. We have been through tough times, but winning nothing would have made them even tougher.

I'm not saying they would feel sorry for us and no doubt they gave us little thought after their 3-1 win at Ewood. I'm not sorry we beat them - I'm sorry to see them in their current situation.

...but, I think the fans at Newcastle deserve more. Few can argue with that. I don't feel sorry for Roeder or Fat Freddie or any of the players. It's the fans that I have a great deal of time for. We have been through tough times, but winning nothing would have made them even tougher.

I sort of see your point but footie isn't really about feeling sorry for your competitors whem they have lost through nothing more than failing to be competitive. If they had been screwed over in some way that expolited the fans, for example if the stadium had been sold to real estate developers, I would support thier greivance. But obviously we can't believe as a samll club that just because they have loads of fans they deserve to win trophies. Our duty as a smaller club is to buck that trend!

Ultimately we are already up against it next season with the big four plus Spurs, Portsmouth and Villa seemingly in a position to progress. Newcastle sorting themselves out will only make our already difficult task of taking it to the next level (ie. winning a cup and/or finishing in the CL places) even more impossible.

We need the geordies to screw up a bit, and other clubs (if this league needs anything its one or two of the CL clubs having a dire season to let others have a look in), if we are going to do do better. All part of the cuthroat world of sport...

I doubt the Geordies were weeping into their Brown Ale when Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday imploded clearing out their 'big club' competition.

I personally like the Geordie fans, they seem to have a good sense of humour judging by their message board, and know when their team and players are performing crap, letting them know about it they definately dont wear tinted glasses like Liverpool and Chelsea fans! They always find something to moan about, they're a entertaining bunch certainly for us opposing fans. Its going to be a fun time if they get Big Sam, especially if he resorts to his Bolton style of play with the toon. Plus they have probably have the most unpredictable Chairman in the league! Shepherd only appointed Roeder as he was the cheap option and Freddy knew he could boss him about.

We certainly dont need to worry about Newcastle yet, even if Big Sam takes over the reigns, there is a HUGE task ahead for whoever takes over, their whole defence is rotten to the core minus Given ( always injured though ), they need a whole new back four plus good cover. The midfield is full of underperformers, while the strikeforce is relying on a injury prone former shadow of himself Owen who only cares about playing for England. Lastly not to mention Big Sam will have Shepherd controlling force to deal with.

Archived