BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Allardyce Resigns

Two seasons and two European Cup finals? One won and the other scarred by the Heysel riots? Add to that a League Cup, league title and a runners-up spot?

Methinks you are a bit hard to please.

I'm going from memory here, and don't follow Liverpool so may be completely wrong, but didn't he win everything he won in seson one and nothing in season two?

Looked at in context given the set up he inherited were my reasons for not classing him as a raging success.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is too weird Rev, I always seem to log on right ofter you have posted. You may have a good case for being stalked. I'm not worth a lot so sue away LOL.

What about TP, he done alright a few times.

I'm going from memory here, and don't follow Liverpool so may be completely wrong, but didn't he win everything he won in seson one and nothing in season two?

Looked at in context given the set up he inherited were my reasons for not classing him as a raging success.

In his first season he won three trophies including the European Cup. The European Cup included beating Roma in the final on their own ground! None in his second season but still took them to the European Cup final which, if the riots hadn't happened, could have been a very different game. Even a club such as Liverpool has only on two occasions reached successive European Cup finals. Surely that qualifies as a "success" irrelevant of what club is taken over?

Vicente del Bosque was appointed from within at Real Madrid. In four seasons he won two European Cups and two La Liga titles. After winning his second title in 2003 del Bosque was, amazingly, not offered a new contract and left the club. Real Madrid haven't won a trophy since.

In his first season he won three trophies including the European Cup. The European Cup included beating Roma in the final on their own ground! None in his second season but still took them to the European Cup final which, if the riots hadn't happened, could have been a very different game. Even a club such as Liverpool has only on two occasions reached successive European Cup finals. Surely that qualifies as a "success" irrelevant of what club is taken over?

Vicente del Bosque was appointed from within at Real Madrid. In four seasons he won two European Cups and two La Liga titles. After winning his second title in 2003 del Bosque was, amazingly, not offered a new contract and left the club. Real Madrid haven't won a trophy since.

Still surprises me why he has never been offered the job again

You also have Aime Jacquet and then Lemerre after Houllier, and whilst not for the same club Mourinho and Benitez are both former No 2 to go on an have success.....

And of course McLaren :ph34r: who some believe is still a number 2

Seems odds on he will replace Roeder at Newcastle.

No wonder Bolton are reserving their position on compensation.

Much talk of him going there a few years ago. If he had gone and done a decent job Maclaren would still be at Boro keeping them on the fringe of relegation battles for ever.

However if Sam still covets the national job (depending on bung results) he obviously won't do it from his current position and really needs to have success at a 'big' club in order to suit the logic and stipulations required by the imbeciles at the FA.

Nonsense, with all due respect, gordon and I am surprised you would post that. Big club has little to do with it, the incumbant England manager is a perfect example of that. Boro? The qualifications for the England job are and always have been you must be non controversial. It's more about old school ties and your relationship with the FA than actual football management ability. They absolutely will take no chances on a manager who may come out and speak his mind. You must bow to the FA's will and kiss their arse and make them feel all important. It has always been this way the shining example is the late great Brian Clough. At a time when England were crying out for leadership they ignored one of the greatest managers ever (imho) due to some of CLough's words.

Big Sam, while I think well suited for the job, has about as much chance of getting it as you or I.

Nonsense, with all due respect, gordon and I am surprised you would post that. Big club has little to do with it, the incumbant England manager is a perfect example of that. Boro? The qualifications for the England job are and always have been you must be non controversial. It's more about old school ties and your relationship with the FA than actual football management ability. They absolutely will take no chances on a manager who may come out and speak his mind. You must bow to the FA's will and kiss their arse and make them feel all important. It has always been this way the shining example is the late great Brian Clough. At a time when England were crying out for leadership they ignored one of the greatest managers ever (imho) due to some of CLough's words.

Big Sam, while I think well suited for the job, has about as much chance of getting it as you or I.

I respect your point but I think that the press and media have a far bigger say nowadays and if Sam were to be successful at a big city club its they who would elevate him to the England job. It'd be a mighty hard situation for the FA to ignore.

They absolutely will take no chances on a manager who may come out and speak his mind. You must bow to the FA's will and kiss their arse and make them feel all important. It has always been this way the shining example is the late great Brian Clough. At a time when England were crying out for leadership they ignored one of the greatest managers ever (imho) due to some of CLough's words.

That Cloughie never got the england job was a case of seriously bottling it, but to be fair in the mid nineties the FA did appoint some contraversial figures- Venables, Hoddle and Keegan were all had serious question marks over them. What is sad is that Hoddle and Venables turned out to be worth the gamble and although leaving the position in shame the Engalnd team had developed.

We need character at the helm, and if we are going English Allerdyce is easily the best choice.

We need character at the helm, and if we are going English Allerdyce is easily the best choice.

Haven't been following the bung inquiries, have you...

I've actually been thinking about whether this decision might have anything to do with the bung enquiries. It all just strikes me as being very odd at the moment and there has to be some reason for it.

I've actually been thinking about whether this decision might have anything to do with the bung inquiries. It all just strikes me as being very odd at the moment and there has to be some reason for it.

I've heard that he asked for a big pot of transfer money from the new, extra TV revenue and he got turned down.

I note that Gartside said that the difference between 5th and 4th isn't £5 mill, it's £100 mill.

I think Big Sam wanted to push 'em on, but the club bottled it. He's done a fine job with no money and when some money does turn up he's not allowed to have it. I think I'd chuck my chips in too!

I think alLARDice quit before he was found out ... in more ways than one.

Look at the trotters message boards - crammed with people saying how they hated the football BW were playing.

Also, the 'bung' allegations might have petered out for him, but not for his Son.

What actually have Notlob achieved?

He is not that good, believe me. If thats the case, no doubt the barcodes at Sid James Park will employ him, and then he can be another NUFC manager to waste a lump of money on crap players.... :blink:

Look at the trotters message boards - crammed with people saying how they hated the football BW were playing.

They don't know any different ffs! Thinking about it and having watched football from the early 60's and the days of Ritson, Hartle and Hopkinson I've got to say that I can never ever remember BWFC ever having a team that played anything resembling entertaining football. They've always been on either the decidedly dour and dirty or the downright dismal side of the fence over those 40+ years. It's no wonder big Frank Worthy was held in such regard.... If they'd ever been fortunate to have had em they'd prob have made the likes of Duff and Tugay freemen of the town.

Any Bolton fan who can't appreciate what Allardyce has done for the club is a moron.

I haven't read messageboards, but I heard somewhere (radio or SSN I think) that fans are upset with Gartside for not letting Big Sam manage a home game before he went so that they could say goodbye.

If ever there was an example of a Chairman shooting off his mouth... Must be all but impossible to work for/with FF. Anyway it seems that the Newcastle board are negotiating the compensation with Bolton whilst the Chairman is demonising Michael Owen BEFORE he activates the £9m escape clause and skidaddles.

I thought he cost more than that when he came from real Madrid? At least Rovers managed to put trigger values in the contracts which were higher than the price paid.

If ever there was an example of a Chairman shooting off his mouth... Must be all but impossible to work for/with FF. Anyway it seems that the Newcastle board are negotiating the compensation with Bolton whilst the Chairman is demonising Michael Owen BEFORE he activates the £9m escape clause and skidaddles.

I thought he cost more than that when he came from real Madrid? At least Rovers managed to put trigger values in the contracts which were higher than the price paid.

What an idiot, bashing your best player in public never ends up well, well except for us when we activate the clause hahaha

At 9 million, why wouldn't the big four have a punt, not like they are short of the cash

17.5 mill down to 9 mill for a player who has spent all but a handful of games injured

God I hope he leaves.

Owen and agent sound like they are simply but shamelessly angling for more money whilst the club is in a state of flux. I can think of few higher placed clubs who would want him (and his shot knees) at his current cost. The two of em are prob gambling that Allardyce will instruct Freddie to keep him at all costs....... and thats one big IF! Sam will prob choose to sieze the initiative and metapohorically cut Owens throat publically and messily and asap to impose his authority up there.

Owen and agent sound like they are simply but shamelessly angling for more money whilst the club is in a state of flux.

I really don't think that's the case theno. He's on a MASSIVE contract (£100,000+) at Newcastle, that's probably how they lured him there in the first place. Only Chelsea would be prepared to match that, but I doubt they'll want him. If Owen's camp are trying to manufacture a move to the big four it will probably be because he's not happy with mid-table obscurity. You can't blame him really, he won trophies at Liverpool then went to Real Madrid...Newcastle is a bit of a drop compared to that.

I really don't think that's the case theno. He's on a MASSIVE contract (£100,000+) at Newcastle, that's probably how they lured him there in the first place. Only Chelsea would be prepared to match that, but I doubt they'll want him. If Owen's camp are trying to manufacture a move to the big four it will probably be because he's not happy with mid-table obscurity. You can't blame him really, he won trophies at Liverpool then went to Real Madrid...Newcastle is a bit of a drop compared to that.

Well if you think that lechuck tell me which of the other BIG 3 managers would want him? After them the Mags are as big a club as there is in the Prem.

Well if you think that lechuck tell me which of the other BIG 3 managers would want him? After them the Mags are as big a club as there is in the Prem.

I don't think any of them do, I was just on about the money side of it.

Personally I think Arsenal should go for him, they create and miss so many chances it's unbelievable, he could be the perfect man to turn their dominance into goals. Wenger seems to have dropped his search for that 'fox in the box' type player after Jeffers though.

I think you will find Owen at Man U next season.

If FF will allow it, Big Sam will buy before offloading. Otherwise he will fire about 20 players as not good enough and might find nobody any better than the lot who left is willing to go there.

Archived