BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was in the last friendly before the squad announcement (Vs Paraguay if memory serves).

It didn't do him any favours but people still thought he'd sneak in, but Sven opted for Keown, naturally.

If I remember right he was selected but got ill (man cold or something) so was dropped.

Jansen was called up for the pre World Cup friendly against Paraguay. Although he did train with the squad he was ill so had to drop out. In terms of the World Cup itself, Sven was going to take him but had a last minute change of heart and took Martin Keown instead :rolleyes:

Apologies, Shillito. You beat me to it.

Yes true, but Jansen was on fire at the time! He was constantly receiving rave reviews from other fans on TalkSport and had he being playing for Spurs, West Ham and so on, he would have been on that plane - SIMPLE AS!

Not surprised they didn't let him on the plane if he was on fire. Surely a health and safety risk.

Jansen was called up for the pre World Cup friendly against Paraguay. Although he did train with the squad he was ill so had to drop out. In terms of the World Cup itself, Sven was going to take him but had a last minute change of heart and took Martin Keown instead :rolleyes:

Apologies, Shillito. You beat me to it.

Apparently Sven wanted to take him but Tord Grip changed his mind and so he took Keown. At the World Cup Keown then did not even play!

Apparently Sven wanted to take him but Tord Grip changed his mind and so he took Keown. At the World Cup Keown then did not even play!

Then 4 yrs later he picks out of the blue Walcott and never plays him. Strange one.

Archived