BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs V Rovers

Guest shoppybrfc
Yet oddly, its OK for you to pop at others?

If you are happy to dish it out, then take it back. Failing that cling onto your mothers coat tails and head back o'er them hills to Dingleland, glad that one of our best players over recent matches is sent off. Prize pillock. :wstu:

oh

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not going to bother with player rating cause after the season we have had everyone of them are heroes and deserve a bloody good send off on Sunday.

That sums it up nicely.

I actually thought Derbyshire was quite poor. Enthusiastic, but poor. Lost the ball needlessly under very little pressure several times.

positions.

Sometimes when going more attacking managers have a habbit of putting a mobile striker on the wing in order to get him on the pitch and keep the existing strikers there alse. As good a goal poacher that Matty has been, sure Gally is better and more experiences as a right 'winger'.

On any other night that would have been a good point, a very committed Rovers team gave it their all tonight but just fell short, if that header would have been 2 inches lower that would have been 2-0 and I think we would have gone on to win the game.

I though the referee was awful , never gave us a thing all night, and the sending off ! What was it for ? In two games against them this season we have had two players sent off for nothing ! The Axe got booked for his first foul but I don't remember a Spurs player getting booked at all, in spite of some cynical play.

Now the down side, the back four played like trojans and the midfield worked hard also but the front two, really disapointing, apart from the goal what did Benny do ? and Roberts struggled with the slick surface, if your first touch isn't spot on you've had it in those conditions, apart from the goal I dont remember either of them winning a header. If we would have had Keane and Berbatov up front it would have been a walk in the park. As for the goal, on another night I would expect Brad to do better than palm it straight to the feet of the opposition for a walk in.

Man of the match - Samba.

Not going to bother with player rating cause after the season we have had everyone of them are heroes and deserve a bloody good send off on Sunday.

:brfc:

Couldn't agree more.Not the result we wanted but non too bad in the end.......superb cross fron Pedersen matched with a header from Benni that would grace any league in the world!

Why is this board clicky?, I've noticed all the well established members who've been here a long time always seem to gang up on posters with only a few posts if they're opinion differs from the long time serving members of this board.

On Tonights match I thought Rovers deserved to win, although I'm very glad Jol did not start Keane. Ghaly throwing his toys out of his pram was class!

GOOD POINTS:

Christopher Samba was immense, this lad is going to keep Ooijer out of the squad next season no doubt, I didnt know he was so fast as well, near the end Lennon tried to outsprint Samba on the left wing, and Samba kept up with him :D

Benni showed his class, that header was top draw! And to think people would rather Bellamy then Benni! Every time Benni gets a chance you just know he's going to test the keeper or score!

BAD POINTS:

As for those arguing about Roberts, I thought he had his worse game for Rovers since coming back from his injury, his control let him down massively tonight, the slick surface didnt help though as Tyrone said, It was probably a game better suited to strikers with good close control. Roberts looked out of his depth tonight though, and did look the poorest striker on the pitch. It was a probably a game better suited to scapegoat of the season Nonda.

Derbyshire's didnt look too hot though, miscontroling the ball with no pressure, although he was playing on the wing. I'll let the lad off as he's only young and he's finishing abilities more than make up for it.

Who was supposed to be marking Defoe for that tap in?

:

Onwards and upwards, I hope Hughes gives people like Berner and Gallagher match time for the last match of the season, and please let Benni get another 2 goals on sunday to equal Drogba as top premiership scorer!, I doubt it though as Benni only seems to like scoring 1 goal in a match! Doesnt do his goals per game ratio any harm though.

Thank you for listening.

Roberts had been pulled from head to toe all night without a free kick going his way. His first foul and he gets booked and says to the ref "you saw that one then"?

For the record I don't think the foul was a yellow and I don't think him putting his hand to the ball was a second yellow.

Another question for the anti-conspiracy people, - would stiles have sent off a Man U or Chelsea player for the same? You know he wouldn't!

We were fantastic in the first half - totally committed and a yard quicker than Spurs to every tackle. We snuffed them out and then scored a cracking goal. Pedersen had hardly had a touch (not his fault, no-one passed to him) before his excellent cross to McCarthy, and what a finish. I thought we were well on top then and could have got another.

Second half was a different story though. Spurs upped their tempo and we failed to match it. We gave the ball away too much and didn't deal at all with Keane when he came on. We suffered from having two defensive central midfielders and our forwards got isolated. Yes, we could have been 2 up if Samba's header had been a couple of inches lower but I don't think we'd have deserved it.

Poor defending by Nelsen for the goal - allowing Berbatov to turn was criminal - and perhaps Friedel could have done better with the shot, but it was difficult.

I thought our defence was excellent in the main apart, obviously, from their goal. Tugay started well but faded and Mokoena wasn't as influential after his booking. Bentley was poor throughout and Pedersen didn't do too much other than set up one goal with a peach of a cross and nearly set up a second, which I guess is good enough! Up front I thought McCarthy was excellent and Roberts was poor. I think he got his second yellow for throwing the ball away - Styles couldn't wait to send him off. Pathetic decision.

As others have said, it would have been a good result normally, but it wasn't what we needed sadly.

Why is this board clicky?, I've noticed all the well established members who've been here a long time always seem to gang up on posters with only a few posts if they're opinion differs from the long time serving members of this board.

Im quite happy to take anyone to task when they talk nonsense

On Tonights match I thought Rovers deserved to win, although I'm very glad Jol did not start Keane. Ghaly throwing his toys out of his pram was class!

GOOD POINTS:

Christopher Samba was immense, this lad is going to keep Ooijer out of the squad next season no doubt, I didnt know he was so fast as well, near the end Lennon tried to outsprint Samba on the left wing, and Samba kept up with him :D

Benni showed his class, that header was top draw! And to think people would rather Bellamy then Benni! Every time Benni gets a chance you just know he's going to test the keeper or score!

BAD POINTS:

As for those arguing about Roberts, I thought he had his worse game for Rovers since coming back from his injury, his control let him down massively tonight, the slick surface didnt help though as Tyrone said, It was probably a game better suited to strikers with good close control. Roberts looked out of his depth tonight though, and did look the poorest striker on the pitch. It was a probably a game better suited to scapegoat of the season Nonda.

Derbyshire's didnt look too hot though, miscontroling the ball with no pressure, although he was playing on the wing. I'll let the lad off as he's only young and he's finishing abilities more than make up for it.

Agree 100% with everything you have said there.

Roberts had been pulled from head to toe all night without a free kick going his way. His first foul and he gets booked and says to the ref "you saw that one then"?

For the record I don't think the foul was a yellow and I don't think him putting his hand to the ball was a second yellow.

Another question for the anti-conspiracy people, - would stiles have sent off a Man U or Chelsea player for the same? You know he wouldn't!

I am intrigued as to how a certain Mr W Rooney can visibly swear and shout and scream at referee's EVERY week, when Roberts raises one finger to the referee and attempts to catch a stray ball, and gets a second yellow.

Absolutely baffled.

GOOD POINTS:

BAD POINTS:

:

Onwards and upwards, I hope Hughes gives people like Berner and Gallagher match time for the last match of the season, and please let Benni get another 2 goals on sunday to equal Drogba as top premiership scorer!, I doubt it though as Benni only seems to like scoring 1 goal in a match! Doesnt do his goals per game ratio any harm though.

Thank you for listening.

We dont know the content of Roberts vocabulary aimed at the referee, he'd have had a pre match warning but thoughts in the pub were that the ref thought he'd been previously booked so gave him the red card after his yellow - cant wait to find out.

Roberts though had a stinker against the first meaningfull opposition in a while, anyone criticising Roberts have every right to and are totally justified based on tonights performance.

We dont know the content of Roberts vocabulary aimed at the referee, he'd have had a pre match warning but thoughts in the pub were that the ref thought he'd been previously booked so gave him the red card after his yellow - cant wait to find out.

Roberts though had a stinker against the first meaningfull opposition in a while, anyone criticising Roberts have every right to and are totally justified based on tonights performance.

Roberts was poor tonight but he's been excellent recently. Surely everyone's entitled to the odd bad game, or does that not fit with your agenda?

I actually thought Derbyshire was quite poor. Enthusiastic, but poor. Lost the ball needlessly under very little pressure several times.

I didn't say Derbyshire was good :) It just seemed that when he come on we got a little (only a little mind) bit better in the 2nd half

I actually thoght Roberts played very well in the first half and was poor in the second. He held up the ball and distributed it, winning countless high balls with his back to goal which is something Derbs just wouldn't of been able to do. Also Benni had one of his best games, linking up the play and actually showing an impressive array of passing which I have never really noticed before.

What hurt us was the lack of combative players in the midfield, especially towards the end. Mokoena got booked, deservedly, early on and as the game progressed found it more and more difficult to win back the ball. We were crying out for Reid or Savage in this one, I mean we played the last 15 minutes against one of the best attacking teams in the prem with a midfield of Bentley, Tugay and Pedersen!

All in all though we had a good night tonight against a Spurs team in good form. People should remember that our entire side out there cost less than Berbatov on his own. Sparky has, and is, working miracles.

I honestly hand on heart think we are going to be a mighty force next year. Not only do we have a great blend of players but they all work so hard for each other.

What an excellent season, especially in the context of losing the heart of our team to injury.

ps. Samba is sensational.

Roberts was poor tonight but he's been excellent recently. Surely everyone's entitled to the odd bad game, or does that not fit with your agenda?

Completely agree I think he was pretty bad tonight but has been great for the last 4 so no real complaints. Certainly didn't think it merited the hanging on the town hall steps some seem keen on.

I know we will probably end up in Europe next season some how, but I was just wondering whether failure to qualify would be such a bad thing. Wed have less games, less injuries and fresher players which may allow us to push on for a proper European place such as 5th and 6th and all that premiership prize money. Strengthen the squad with the prize money and make a proper fist of it when were a more established top 8 side.

Typical Sky commentary - because Spurs weren't 4-0 up after half an hour, it was a drab game according to them.

They didn't say that did they ?! That's ridiculous! Dunno what game they were watching but the game I saw was anything but dull.

Maybe 'dull' was just code for "Spurs were rubbish 1st half and their fans were quiet until the equaliser" <_<

Just got back. We will regret Samba's miss. He was quality tonight. Am beginning to see why people speak so highly of him.

Intertoto here we come

Benni magnificent as were Samba and Nelsen.

Poor defending from Nelsen cost us the first goal. He should never have let Berbatov get in a shot.

He also lost Keane for the shot that hit the post.

I look forward to getting back the real Ryan after a good rest and a proper preseason.

As for the game Samba's header which hit the bar (which was desperately unlucky) was the turning point.

We'd been comfortable up to then but once they scored we were hanging on.

I am intrigued as to how a certain Mr W Rooney can visibly swear and shout and scream at referee's EVERY week, when Roberts raises one finger to the referee and attempts to catch a stray ball, and gets a second yellow.

Absolutely baffled.

I'm not baffled. It's becoming oh so routine and sickening to the point of not wanting to watch anymore. Just think of the first game with spurs for one. Wham recently, we'd have cruised into Europe without the slanted officiating this season, and last and the one before and in all likleyhood the next one as well. Sick to my stomach of it. What else can you say but its a fiddle.

I look forward to getting back the real Ryan after a good rest and a proper preseason.

Bloody hell I did it again, posted next after you. anyway, let's hope he IS coming back and not something gone forever eh Rev.

Bloody good effort by the lads this season, immensley proud of 'em.

Stiles just confirms his reputation as one of (if not outright) worst referees in the league.

You just knew Spurs would score after Samba hit the bar. After that we were hanging on a little. I don't understand what Nelsen thought he was doing for their goal. If he stood his ground (as he will have been taught) then Tottenham don't score. Lunging for the ball in that situation was ridiculous.

I'm going to save this post. LeChuck is having a (bit of a) pop at a ref, get in there.

Absolutely baffled.

I was going to put that on my post.

IMO Roberts first "infringement" was an extremely minor contact and barely a foul let alone a yellow. Then after that I didn't see anything to warrant a yellow when you see players of the "big four" bellowing in the faces of the ref week after week without even a ticking off.

Would Rooney, Drogba, or Henry received even a yellow? The answer is no.

It's something the fans of the "other 16" need to really pick up on and bring to the fore.

One more comment before I turn in. Much has been said about the poor quality of the refereeing but noone has said anything about the free kicks awarded against us.

Three of them, all in dangerous areas near the box. Any of them could have resulted in a goal conceded but none of them should have been awarded <_< Luckily for us we defended them well, but if Spuds were any good at free kicks, it could have been a very different night for us.

One more comment before I turn in. Much has been said about the poor quality of the refereeing but noone has said anything about the free kicks awarded against us.

Three of them, all in dangerous areas near the box. Any of them could have resulted in a goal conceded but none of them should have been awarded <_< Luckily for us we defended them well, but if Spuds were any good at free kicks, it could have been a very different night for us.

Exactly right. And the MGP one he made a perfect tackle, nicked the ball away cleanly, but got a yellow card and conceded a kick on the edge of the area!

As I said at half time after the Robinson incident. Rob bloody Styles :angry:

Archived