BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Spending Money

Here is The Times' estimate of what clubs have budgeted to spend this year.

If you take five clubs out of that list (they have added in the play-off hopefuls and relegation candidates), that adds up to a cool £400m- presumably net spend not allowing for funds coming available from trading between themselves.

Rovers are in the £10 to 15m bracket.

I can see other leagues being stripped if these numbers are for real.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you take five clubs out of that list (they have added in the play-off hopefuls and relegation candidates), that adds up to a cool £400m- presumably net spend not allowing for funds coming available from trading between themselves.

Portsmouth 5m?. Odd that Pompey, Fulham and Reading with their rich benefactors are all under us in that estimation. Apart from that it just confirms the obvious stupidity of Prem football where no matter what increase in funding there is it just all gets wasted on swelling the bank accounts of already overpaid players and their mercenary agents.

Interesting, though speculative.

Some strange numbers in there. Pompey have been splashing money around like its funny, surprised to see they'll have about 5 to spend now. Also worrying to see West Ham in the 30 million bracket, good grief, they can do a lot of damage with that. Rovers' spending power wasn't very surprising, but I looked twice when I saw Tottenham in there with us, surely they'll outspend us and then some...?

Good lord, if Villa really do have 40m to spend (after splashing out 15m in the january window) O'Neill will be in a position to seriously upset the big four applecart. Bad news in our quest for Bellamy too...

That all does seem extraordinarily speculative though.

If Keane has 25m then we better watch out too.

I'd be surprised to see us spend more than 10 million net, probably closer to the 5 number.

Yes, there is more money, but ticket prices are going down, the board has shown fiscal restraint and we have a squad that, despite our best midfielders and our best defender (along with another pretty good one) being injured for long stretches, could finish as high as 7th. I really only see us splashing the cash if Bellamy is available.

Good lord, if Villa really do have 40m to spend (after splashing out 15m in the january window) O'Neill will be in a position to seriously upset the big four applecart. Bad news in our quest for Bellamy too...

That all does seem extraordinarily speculative though.

If Keane has 25m then we better watch out too.

Not if O'Neill keeps spending it the way that he has been.

What a pile of garbage, i doubt each club would spend even half of what is specified in that list

among the most silly assumptions that Newcastle and Sunderland would spend that much, or even that Portsmouth would only have 5 million

its all guesswork based on figures. The sensible clubs will wait to buy players, then do so when the market prices drop

I honestly don't think Rovers will spend very much even if we can. I mean where would we spend that money? I can see us signing a striker, if not Bellamy then someone with a similar style. That might cost a few million, but other than that what would we sign? A defender, assuming that Gray and Todd are leaving would be reasonable, but I doubt we'll break the bank for that. A backup GK to replace Enckelman (Perhaps that kid from the Faeroe Islands who was on trial and impressed Hughes), again not likely to cost much. Possibly a natural right back, as we don't actually have one atm even if Emerton is doing a good job and both Zurab and Ooijer are capable of playing there too.

If the striker is in the same price range as Roberts and McCarthy (And they turned out well), then I don't see us spending more than £5m, if even that. And I won't be disappointed if that happens, as I simply don't think we need to. unless an exceptional player would become available I don't think we should spend simply for the sake of spending.

All the above, of course, assumes that we don't lose any of our first teamers like Bentley, MGP, McCarthy etc.

The article is just pure speculation.

Sparky is quoted in today's LT as saying "We are not in a position to spend vast amounts of money on transfer fees but what we are not is a selling club."

I'd love to see us spend a net 10 -15m million this summer but it would require a complete shift in policy from the Trustees. Thus far Sparky has had to sell before he can spend anything on transfer fees.

We will get approximately 10m more from the new TV deal and have returned approximately 3m of that to the fans in the form of reduced season tickets. Factor in the rather surprising decision to pursue Nonda for 2m and that means our net spending elsewhere could be less than 5m.

Unless of course the trustees have decided to loosen the pursestrings a little. Which in the light of his outstanding record so far Sparky fully deserves, but is it likely to happen with a potential sale in the offing? :(

Sparky is quoted in today's LT as saying "We are not in a position to spend vast amounts of money on transfer fees but what we are not is a selling club."

I'd love to see us spend a net 10 -15m million this summer but it would require a complete shift in policy from the Trustees. Thus far Sparky has had to sell before he can spend anything on transfer fees.

We will get approximately 10m more from the new TV deal and have returned approximately 3m of that to the fans in the form of reduced season tickets. Factor in the rather surprising decision to pursue Nonda for 2m and that means our net spending elsewhere could be less than 5m.

Unless of course the trustees have decided to loosen the pursestrings a little. Which in the light of his outstanding record so far Sparky fully deserves, but is it likely to happen with a potential sale in the offing? :(

Where is the £3m in reduced season tickets figure from?

Surely by selling more season tickets the impact of reduced prices will not be that great.

I honestly don't think Rovers will spend very much even if we can. I mean where would we spend that money? I can see us signing a striker, if not Bellamy then someone with a similar style. That might cost a few million, but other than that what would we sign? A defender, assuming that Gray and Todd are leaving would be reasonable, but I doubt we'll break the bank for that. A backup GK to replace Enckelman (Perhaps that kid from the Faeroe Islands who was on trial and impressed Hughes), again not likely to cost much. Possibly a natural right back, as we don't actually have one atm even if Emerton is doing a good job and both Zurab and Ooijer are capable of playing there too.

If the striker is in the same price range as Roberts and McCarthy (And they turned out well), then I don't see us spending more than £5m, if even that. And I won't be disappointed if that happens, as I simply don't think we need to. unless an exceptional player would become available I don't think we should spend simply for the sake of spending.

All the above, of course, assumes that we don't lose any of our first teamers like Bentley, MGP, McCarthy etc.

I agree, although the new Tugay would be a nice signing - if he is anywhere to be found.

Interesting whether this is the LT's take on the comments from the Interview with Hughes on Radio Lancs last night.

My understanding of it from what Sparky commented upon was that we are not in the position to throw vast amounts at any one player ( like the big clubs) but added that they have targets they pinpointed and back ups if they do not come off.

Surely by selling more season tickets the impact of reduced prices will not be that great.

I'm sure the figure was more like £1m (though my memory's bobbins).

Fair point. Hopefully increased numbers will mean that's the case.

The 3m figure represents the figure quoted in the press as the amount of savings being passed onto the fans.

Quick ballpark figures: 12,000 season ticket holders, if everyone's ticket went down by an average of 100 quid thats 1.2m less revenue. Mine has gone down by 215 quid in JW upper central! :o However most reductions aren't that large and juniors tickets at 99 quid are I think the same.

Don't forget walk on prices have also been slashed as well.

I'm surprised at that article being from The Times, looks more like a Sun/Mirror story with all the speculation and misjudgement.

I don't agree with the headline either really - Speculate to accumulate - as this season has proved, it's not how much you spend but who you buy which is most crucial.

Eg we bought McCarthy for £2.5m and he's scored 22 goals (so far). Likewise Samba/Nelsen and most of our team. Then you look at Villa/Wham/Newcastle/Pompey and they have spent far more than us and are arguably not as good.

I agree, although the new Tugay would be a nice signing - if he is anywhere to be found.

He is already signed. Just needs to get 100% match fit and he is getting there. David Dunn!

Interesting whether this is the LT's take on the comments from the Interview with Hughes on Radio Lancs last night.

My understanding of it from what Sparky commented upon was that we are not in the position to throw vast amounts at any one player ( like the big clubs) but added that they have targets they pinpointed and back ups if they do not come off.

We've already suffered from the mistake of shouting about our cash reserves - Nathan Blake for £4m anyone? Once again we're playing it smart; having the money to pursue our targets, without telling all and sundry that we're sitting on a king's ransom (relatively speaking).

I'd suggest the £10-15m figure is way off however, our board wouldn't be that irresponsible, unless Kaka wants a move to tropical Leyland. :lol:

With so much money going to be blown in the summer, only one guys value will rocket - Mark Hughes

He will, I'm sure be prudent and unearth a couple of Gems', this year our club will move to the next level by having the team spirit and cohesion that most won't - Expect players to be signing new 'improved terms' contracts rather than big transfers.

In my opinion there are very few players out there who are good enough to knock the likes Bentley, Gamst, Brad, Nelson, Tugay, Benni, etc out of the team who aren't looking for guaranteed champions league.

While fat Freddy is the epitome of this fat cat / shaft the fans modern football era, he precipitated the best signing Rovers ever made, Thanks fat man.

P.S. Do you think mark Hughes made his interest known for vacant job at Newcastle before Freddy made the stupendous choice to appoint Souness? I hope so that would be so great.

Im sure we will have money to spend if necessary. It doesnt really matter what. Just look at Hughes history - Nelsen Free, Samba 400k, Axe 300k, McCarthy £2.5 million.

Hardly need bucket loads to pull of great signings.

The more interesting question is which positions should we strengthen and who should go?

Id say out - Todd, Henchoz, Enckleman, Gallagher

In - ??? I dont know but iv got a feeling Earnshaw will be High on Hughes' list

Eg we bought McCarthy for £2.5m and he's scored 22 goals (so far). Likewise Samba/Nelsen and most of our team. Then you look at Villa/Wham/Newcastle/Pompey and they have spent far more than us and are arguably not as good.

With so much money going to be blown in the summer, only one guys value will rocket - Mark Hughes

I've already said on here that Hughes and his team should stand to gain financially from their performance in the transfer market. They've saved / made BRFC millions so it'd be just reward and is about the only thing that will keep them safely away from all but the 'major' predators.

Actually, I'm a bit worried (only a small bit mind you) that the new "market" with all the TV money will hurt Hughes' gem finding ability. Every player looking at the Prem right now knows that there's silly money to be had, so why would they settle for less? Granted prior to us signing them, there's never been much of a bid war in the press over them, but I'm willing to bet that in the new market at least one player that Hughes was looking at as a "gem" will decide to blab to the press in order to try and get more premier$hip cash thrown at him.

Actually, I'm a bit worried (only a small bit mind you) that the new "market" with all the TV money will hurt Hughes' gem finding ability. Every player looking at the Prem right now knows that there's silly money to be had, so why would they settle for less? Granted prior to us signing them, there's never been much of a bid war in the press over them, but I'm willing to bet that in the new market at least one player that Hughes was looking at as a "gem" will decide to blab to the press in order to try and get more premier$hip cash thrown at him.

To an extent I agree - but lots of his signings have actually been players that other clubs looked at and rejected. Nelsen is a good example (trial at Charlton), we didn't seem to have much competition for Bentley, I doubt anyone had heard of Samba, nobody seemed to be able to push through a transfer for McCarthy.

His record in the transfer market and ability to get the best out of players is absolutely astounding. If I was an up and coming player - Mark Hughes and his coaching staff would be a huge draw for me at the moment.

Though it could all go up in smoke with a series of high profile transfers out of Ewood - I don't think I have looked forward to a season as much as next season. The squad we have at the moment only needs a little tinkering - and with a bit of luck we could make a real go of it next season. Actually the last time I felt like this was after seeing Duff and Emerton playing against Blackpool - only to see Duff leave a few days later :huh:

Guest shoppybrfc
Id say out - Todd, Henchoz, Enckleman, Gallagher

Why would Hughes get rid of Gallagher after giving him a new contract to 2010?

Archived