BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Spending Money

Im sure we will have money to spend if necessary. It doesnt really matter what. Just look at Hughes history - Nelsen Free, Samba 400k, Axe 300k, McCarthy £2.5 million.

Not to mention Bentley estimated at 500k, Zurab about 500k, Warnock 1.5 mill. In fact if you look through our team including of course the pre-Hughes signings, our first choice XI defence, midfield, and attackers cost in the 5 million region or less each.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE(Hughesy @ May 9 2007, 19:35 )

Im sure we will have money to spend if necessary. It doesnt really matter what. Just look at Hughes history - Nelsen Free, Samba 400k, Axe 300k, McCarthy £2.5 million.

Not to mention Bentley estimated at 500k, Zurab about 500k, Warnock 1.5 mill. In fact if you look through our team including of course the pre-Hughes signings, our first choice XI defence, midfield, and attackers cost in the 5 million region or less each.

Careful guys...... there's a long time to go before the end of the transfer window in August, and pride does usually precede a fall. :unsure:

Personally I'd be quite happy with everyone fit and in contention, but I'm sure that we are due some worrying and nervous days in late summer.

err, no and unlikely pick.

Some of the sweeties in the shop for the Premiership big spenders to contemplate. Owen in the list- Henry, Bellamy and Benni are not. Tevez at £18m seems over-priced as he may or may not have a contract.

Arsenal are reported as having £40m to spend this summer- I wonder if Etoo for Henry and cash is on the cards given Barca have again said they want Henry?

Seems highly probable that even more of the greatest players in the world will be visiting Ewood next season.

I agree, although the new Tugay would be a nice signing - if he is anywhere to be found.

How about spending the tv money on investing in the production of a time machine to bring the 20 year old tugay to the present ;)

Some of the sweeties in the shop for the Premiership big spenders to contemplate. Owen in the list- Henry, Bellamy and Benni are not. Tevez at £18m seems over-priced as he may or may not have a contract.

My favourite quote on where does the transfer money go for all these players?

"All money goes to a secret charity nominated by the players mum - it varies depending on position. If you are a right back then your sister has choice of charity. Go to fifa.com for complete listings." :lol:

Latest news, Jan has put in a £50,000 bid to sign Todd on a 3 year contract. However, it would mean he has a very different job to his current role..............

I'm sure I could find MANY uses for him!!!

None of them football-related

Do you mean he can be employed as a monkey Butler? Maybe he can live in your shed as a hermit. You might spark a revival for such a job opportunity, and be a trend setter. Used to be popular to have a hermit on the payroll in the 18th century.

Todd to be RELEASED from his contract? I get annoyed with this- why release him when we can try and flog him on the cheap? I'm sure he could still fetch at least 100k, which is better than a smack in the teeth! It irritates me when we let players go for free and we could get a nominal fee instead. No wonder everybody thinks we're mugs.

Todd to be RELEASED from his contract? I get annoyed with this- why release him when we can try and flog him on the cheap? I'm sure he could still fetch at least 100k, which is better than a smack in the teeth! It irritates me when we let players go for free and we could get a nominal fee instead. No wonder everybody thinks we're mugs.

It depends what money he's on. If he's on a typical first teamer's wage and he clearly has no chance of being selected for a Hughes team again, why not offload him? Agreed it would be nice to get rid and receive a fee as well but the priority must be to get rid of the deadwood early in the close season to ensure there's more wage money free to bring in players who might have a realistic shout for getting into the starting XI.

I'd get rid of Todd, Grey, Jeffers & Enkleman. Personally I would also have passed on Nonda but it seems Hughes is going to sign him up permanently. Not a terrible signing but not as exciting as letting him go and looking to bring someone else in.

I'd also look to bolster the forward line and with Bellamy probably unlikely to come back to us I'd go for David Healy. He didnt perform for Leeds this season because he didnt have the service from midfield but at Rovers he'd vary our attacking options as he's a different sort of striker to what we already have.

Other than that, the biggest concern is keeping hold of our best players. There's bound to be offers for Benni, Bentley & The Gamster, so if all 3 are still with us at the start of next season it will have been a good transfer window for us regardless of who we bring in. Especially with Savage, Reid & Oijer to return (which, to coin that old favourite cliche, will be like 3 new signings).

No thanks, last time we did that we got Kevin Davies... <_<

You have to wonder what was the last big money signing who was actually much good? Cole was reasonable, but apart from that it has been a pretty miserable run- Grabbi, Ferguson, Davies...

Why don't we sign incredible players on the cheap? Tugay, Freidel, Nelsen, samba, mcCarthy, bellamy, Bentley, Pedersen, Mokoena, Warnock...

• 3 weeks later...

FUlham have added themselves to those clubs looking to spend big over the summer: BBC

So now these clubs imo are going to be spending at least 10m, in come cases much much more, over the summer:

Manchester Utd

Liverpool

Spurs (already have done! And not even got started...)

Portsmouth

Aston Villa

Fulham

Man City (if takeover works out)

West Ham

Sunderland

And I will be amazed if these clubs don't spend that sort of money at least, even if they have not explicitly said it:

Newcastle

Arsenal

Chelsea (could potentially spend very little if Abramovich is in a mood, but I will believe it when I see it)

Middlesbrough

Which leaves...

Everton (could spend? Not sure)

Bolton

Birmingham (could spend but might be wary due to Bruce's big money record...)

Derby (skint)

Wigan

Reading

and, of course, us.

Not good reading really. Hughes is going to have to work hard to make money stretch.

FUlham have added themselves to those clubs looking to spend big over the summer: BBC

Not good reading really. Hughes is going to have to work hard to make money stretch.

He's done a pretty darned good job at it thus far. I don't think he's wasted any money at all.

All fine and well having loads of cash and throwing it around, but if other clubs end up getting in over priced duds and Hughes brings in gems at bargain prices then it'll be good reading for us come next May ;)

Latest news, Jan has put in a £50,000 bid to sign Todd on a 3 year contract. However, it would mean he has a very different job to his current role..............

Belay that! She can have me for £40,000. :)

Belay that! She can have me for £40,000. :)

Thank you Fife

I got a ticket to the Scottish Cup at the last minute (in the correct end for once). Dull game- Thought the Pars played very well. Am also working in Auld Reekie at the moment!!!!

It depends what money he's on. If he's on a typical first teamer's wage and he clearly has no chance of being selected for a Hughes team again, why not offload him? Agreed it would be nice to get rid and receive a fee as well but the priority must be to get rid of the deadwood early in the close season to ensure there's more wage money free to bring in players who might have a realistic shout for getting into the starting XI.

I'd get rid of Todd, Grey, Jeffers & Enkleman. Personally I would also have passed on Nonda but it seems Hughes is going to sign him up permanently. Not a terrible signing but not as exciting as letting him go and looking to bring someone else in.

I'd also look to bolster the forward line and with Bellamy probably unlikely to come back to us I'd go for David Healy. He didnt perform for Leeds this season because he didnt have the service from midfield but at Rovers he'd vary our attacking options as he's a different sort of striker to what we already have.

Other than that, the biggest concern is keeping hold of our best players. There's bound to be offers for Benni, Bentley & The Gamster, so if all 3 are still with us at the start of next season it will have been a good transfer window for us regardless of who we bring in. Especially with Savage, Reid & Oijer to return (which, to coin that old favourite cliche, will be like 3 new signings).

Sorry but I think you've completely missed my point. Clubs are interested, they will pay money. We could announce he was available for £100,000 tomorrow and he'd be gone within the week!

Archived