BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Window

has the summer window been a success for rovers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say on the summer transfer window.

• Should have had more cash to spend. Almost everyone else did.
    • money badly used.
    • As much as I expected.
    • Quite good business.
    • Excellent business
    • Doesn't get any better.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it baffles me that Chelsea would want him

he has newcastle player written all over him in my opinion

First time Chelsea have gone after a non superstar/hyped up potential star. He hasn't even got an international cap. Change in policy for the former champions?

Could be either that Abramovich has drastically cut back the budget or Mourinho has looked at Man Utd with their strong spine of british/irish workmen squad players (O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown, Smith) and decided he needs something like that. You do have to wonder how Sidwell will get ahead of the likes of Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Makelele, Obi,

Anyhow as Sidwell is free its a win-win situation

Surely the attraction of Sidwell is that he is free, since Roman seems to have forgotten how to spend money. Add to that he's going back to London so no settling in problems like Chelsea have had in the past with some of their big stars. Footballers are thick and don't seem to realise that for the majority of them a move to a big club is likely to be a backward step in terms of the amount of football they actually play.

Surely the attraction of Sidwell is that he is free, since Roman seems to have forgotten how to spend money. Add to that he's going back to London so no settling in problems like Chelsea have had in the past with some of their big stars. Footballers are thick and don't seem to realise that for the majority of them a move to a big club is likely to be a backward step in terms of the amount of football they actually play.

Thick? What's thick about finding a new employer that will double your present salary and tell you that you don't have to work any harder and in fact you can just sit on a bench and watch your colleagues work for about 90% of the actual working time.

Thick? What's thick about finding a new employer that will double your present salary and tell you that you don't have to work any harder and in fact you can just sit on a bench and just watch your colleagues work for about 90% of the actual working time.

I didn't say though that it was a backward step overall just that it was a backward step in terms of the amount of time you spend doing the thing most footballers try to persuade us is something they'd do even if they weren't paid for it. I've no doubt Duff is extremely pleased with his premiership medals but can he honestly say he's enjoyed being a bit part player at Chelsea more than he enjoyed being the big star at Ewood in pure footballing terms. People find it hard to believe that Shearer was happy to stay at Newcastle and keep asking if he has regrets, but he just says no. He got paid for doing what he wanted to do. I agree we'd all like a huge pay rise for doing nothing more than we're doing at the moment in the short term, but there are other things in life besides money.

First time Chelsea have gone after a non superstar/hyped up potential star. He hasn't even got an international cap. Change in policy for the former champions?

Could be either that Abramovich has drastically cut back the budget or Mourinho has looked at Man Utd with their strong spine of british/irish workmen squad players (O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown, Smith) and decided he needs something like that. You do have to wonder how Sidwell will get ahead of the likes of Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Makelele, Obi,

Anyhow as Sidwell is free its a win-win situation

Didnt they sign Scott Parker, they are pretty similar in alot of ways...

Guest Kamy100

According to Hughes he does not anticipate a busy summer transferwise (taken from Official site):

"I do not anticipate a busy summer in terms of transfers although, as ever, we will be keen to strengthen should the right players become available - that situation never changes to be truthful."

The News of the World says that Hughes will have 25m to spend in the summer :lol:

with the new tv deal that wouldnt be far wrong i would be disappointed not to get at least £15 million to spend if big club can have nearly £30 million if not we will soon not be able to compete and find our selfs back in the championship

According to Hughes he does not anticipate a busy summer transferwise (taken from Official site):

"I do not anticipate a busy summer in terms of transfers although, as ever, we will be keen to strengthen should the right players become available - that situation never changes to be truthful."

Most seasons Hughes has been with us hes played down our transfer intentions and keeps things on the quiet then pops up with a stunner. Id be amazed if we didnt strengthen. Especially if Hughes intends to push on for europe.

i know its not players

but regarding big sam's reason for leaving bolton to newcastle:

Reason for joining newcastke

anyone else see how stupid it is

Newcastle dont win trophies....

Well they might not have the pedigree in trophies, and have a large debt to contend with, but I would say they are the team best placed outside the top four to maintain continous inroads into CL places. The fact that the board are a bunch of numpties does make things more tricky, but I am sure Sam will fancy his chances in changing the whole culture at Newcastle, and I think I would back him.

It is hard to argue that Newcastle have less potential to win trophies in the long run than, say, Bolton or Blackburn. Weight of numbers as much as anything else. If Sam can sort the club out and put the infrastructure in place and build a balanced side the sky is the limit. I mean for god's sake they signed Michael Owen after they finished 14th.

Next season is going to be tricky for Rovers. Villa, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Newcastle and Spurs will all have good managers combined with substantial amounts of money to spend. I also rate Moyes but I'm not sure whether Everton have the financial backing of these others. The premeirship really does continue to get more and more difficult.

More miracles needed from sparky :)

I was chatting to a couple of Everton season ticket holders at weekend about James Beattie. They were of the opinion that he was a complete donkey - and we could have him back. I always liked him - but I wouldn't want him back based on what they were saying.

Beattie is a year younger than Nonda but I doubt either will be too cheap when it comes to wages. Beattie cost Everton £6m and Nonda cost AS Roma something like £10m IIRC and they are likely, once wages and transfer fee is taken into account, to represent a substantial outlay.

Personally I'd like to see us go for Mark Viduka. Although a little older than either of the others and likely to command large wages he has a consistent scoring record in the British game over a decade. Skillful, creative and works well for the other forward. Why not save on transfer fees for older players with little likely sell-on value?

Then if a really good player becomes available we can try and splash out on quality...

With players returning from injury next season I don't see too much wrong with our squad. Perhaps a right-back is needed?

Archived