BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Window

has the summer window been a success for rovers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say on the summer transfer window.

• Should have had more cash to spend. Almost everyone else did.
    • money badly used.
    • As much as I expected.
    • Quite good business.
    • Excellent business
    • Doesn't get any better.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with the new tv deal that wouldnt be far wrong i would be disappointed not to get at least £15 million to spend if big club can have nearly £30 million if not we will soon not be able to compete and find our selfs back in the championship

I would point to Hughes' transfer record. We don't need to splash the cash unless there really does seem to be a player who is worth it, a real superstar who would be willing to come to Rovers. I can't think of anyone like that at the moment apart from possibly Bellamy.

I'm unsure if we will be able to improve our first team this summer. When everyone is fit we have a good team however it's not a team that will, in reality, break into the top 4. Every position has a good or very good player in it but to improve on that and sign an exceptional player will take more money than it seems likely is available to Hughes. Don't get me wrong, I think he has done wonders with the limited funds he has had so far but more free transfer or small fee signings will not improve the first team to the extent it needs for us to move up a level. We either need a large cash injection from the board or to just make a couple of squad signings and save whatever money we have allocated for transfers this year with a view to making big signings next year.

If we did have to sell Benni, Darren Bent would be my first choice replacement, without a doubt

I would also love to have Bellamy back, but thats just wishful thinking

I wouldn't be so sure that Bellamy's out of the question. Liverpools strike force have shown their limitations (they don't get enough goals :) ) and while this is arguably Benitez's fault for not playing a consistent team, the new owners will be looking to splash the cash, and they need a goalscorer. Don't be surprised if they bid for Benni, but they'll go after Torres and Villa and the like first. If that happens, they'll keep Crouch for something different, and keep Kuyt because Rafa hates admitting that he's wrong, but Bellers _might_ be available.

On another note, I wouldn't cry to see Roberts go to Sevilla. The cash would be pretty large for a club like that and given that we just signed him. While he was unfortunate with injuries this season, his touch, positioning and vision aren't all they could be on the performances I saw this season.

I don't have a link, but all the Liverpool fans I know are convinced that they'll be bidding for Pedersen. Irritatingly, perhaps because of Bellamy, now _all_ our desirable players have "release clauses". I reckon it's bull myself, but I found myself wondering if Morten went, how much would we get (a lot) and who could be brought in (Kewell, maybe? Since he got rid of the stupid hair, he's been a new player :) ).

Lastly, Hughes will have money to spend if he wants it, or needs it. Player prices are likely to spike this summer with the extra cash floating around. I think we could do with another right back who's more defensive than Brett and a defensive midfielder. I'd prefer to see Shabani go back to Roma and see someone else brought in as well. But who! Jamie Cureton was the top goalscorer in the Championship with Colchester.... I wonder who'll be looking at him?

Anyway, all speculation, and I'm warming up for an interesting summer! I reckon it wouldn't take much for Rovers, Everton (with a good striker) and Spurs (with I'm not sure what, to be honest) to match Liverpool and Arsenal's performance in the last season. We were badly hamstrung at the start of the season with a completely new strikeforce, a bit of a bodge job in defence, and missing key midfielders, and the midfield situation didn't really improve over the course of the season. Stability is required this summer, with some strengthening and returns from injury, and I think we can do a whole lot better next year.

Kewell only plays when there is a Champions League final looming. Otherwise he's injured or plain crap. We can do better by scouting Norway, Sweden, Holland or some other league where promising players are available for only a couple of £m.

On another note, I wouldn't cry to see Roberts go to Sevilla. The cash would be pretty large for a club like that and given that we just signed him. While he was unfortunate with injuries this season, his touch, positioning and vision aren't all they could be on the performances I saw this season.

I don't have a link, but all the Liverpool fans I know are convinced that they'll be bidding for Pedersen. Irritatingly, perhaps because of Bellamy, now _all_ our desirable players have "release clauses". I reckon it's bull myself, but I found myself wondering if Morten went, how much would we get (a lot) and who could be brought in (Kewell, maybe? Since he got rid of the stupid hair, he's been a new player :) ).

Lastly, Hughes will have money to spend if he wants it, or needs it. Player prices are likely to spike this summer with the extra cash floating around. I think we could do with another right back who's more defensive than Brett and a defensive midfielder. I'd prefer to see Shabani go back to Roma and see someone else brought in as well. But who! Jamie Cureton was the top goalscorer in the Championship with Colchester.... I wonder who'll be looking at him?

I can't see why Sevilla would want Roberts? When that story came up I was thinking maybe Sevilla were after McCarthy and the journalist got his wires crossed. Benni would fit right into that team but I really don't get how big Jase would.

I think Liverpool will bid for Pedersen- he suits their style of play (narrow, crosses from deep) and is a name who the liverpool fans seem to think is brilliant (which I find puzzling as while he is a very good player he is not actually amongst our best). Whether they come up with the money to tempt Hughes is debatable. We don't need to sell with the new TV money so a la the Duff situation we would be looking for +10 million offers. If Benitez has any sense he has to realise that isn't value for money for the reds and will bugger off. However his bizarre buying record means maybe he won't.

As for buying a defensive right back and holding midifielder- haven't we got one of the former in Ooijer, and two of the latter in Mokoena and Tugay?

I don't think I would buy for either position unless someone very good/promising became available at the right price (Young at Charlton? But probs expensive...)

I wouldn't be so sure that Bellamy's out of the question. Liverpools strike force have shown their limitations (they don't get enough goals :) ) and while this is arguably Benitez's fault for not playing a consistent team, the new owners will be looking to splash the cash, and they need a goalscorer. Don't be surprised if they bid for Benni, but they'll go after Torres and Villa and the like first. If that happens, they'll keep Crouch for something different, and keep Kuyt because Rafa hates admitting that he's wrong, but Bellers _might_ be available.

i think we wont sign Bellamy because he will see it as a step back, or returning with his tail between his leg. For that reason alone im certain he would not come back.

I would point to Hughes' transfer record. We don't need to splash the cash unless there really does seem to be a player who is worth it, a real superstar who would be willing to come to Rovers. I can't think of anyone like that at the moment apart from possibly Bellamy.

i was thinking long term with these clubs being taken over we dont need to splash the cash but a couple of quality signings might be enough to get us in the top 4.

Central midfield, Centre back, Goalkeeper.

I think right back is his natural position, but like Micah Richards at Man City, he gets pushed into midfield so he can influence the game more. At a bigger club he wouldn't get into central midfield I don't think.

Warnock has been pushin his case as Gary Neville's successor at right back for the national side, that's where he's expected to line-up in the upcoming 'B' international as well.

Anyone for Hasselbaink on a free with Jeffers going to Town?

I suppose if he was free and on moderate wage demands he might be worth a crack. Not going to be much more than third choice striker.

Would be better than Nonda or Jeffers as an option on the bench though.

We need players to improve the starting lineup and Jimmy most certainly wont. Well past his best.

But looky here:

According to The Times...Big changes are afoot at West Ham. Alan Curbishley wants to sign Eidur Gudjohnsen, Craig Bellamy and Yakubu, while Nigel Reo-Coker, Yossi Benayoun, Marlon Harewood and Anton Ferdinand could be on their way out.

I can see why Bellamy would be interested to move there and day by day our chances of getting him back get slimmer in my opinion.

In minor news it says in today's LT that Jeffers and Todd will be allowed to leave in the summer if suitable offers come in.

It's alleged we want 500k for Todd (reasonable) and "a seven figure fee for Jeffers" :lol::lol: (I thought April fools day had been and gone.)

Must be 99,999.99 we're after.

According to The Times...Big changes are afoot at West Ham. Alan Curbishley wants to sign Eidur Gudjohnsen, Craig Bellamy and Yakubu, while Nigel Reo-Coker, Yossi Benayoun, Marlon Harewood and Anton Ferdinand could be on their way out.

This is what I was afraid of when West Ham stayed up. They are going to just spend spend spend. However, it could turn out to be very funny as I dont think that anyone has shown them the history or Leeds FC DVD yet :lol:

Let's hope that one story in the Sun is true.

They claim this morning that Tevez is heading for Real Madrid for 30m and WHU won't see a penny because they tore up their agreement with Joorabchian so Tevez could play in the last 3 games.

Archived