BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jewell / Derby

I can see Wigan really struggling next season, they will probably be among the red hot favourites for relagation.

I just cannot see where they go from here, i dont know who will take over there and how they will do. When you also consider that alot of teams that come up have pretty strong cases for remaining in the Premiership, ie Sunderland and Birmingham, added to the fact alot of existing clubs will get stronger next season because of additional funds, coupled with very good manager, like Villa.

Guest Kamy100

I will not be surprised to see Jewell going to City and Pearce going the otherway to Wigan, although both Jewell and Curbishley looked shattered yesterday after the matches, just shows that whilist they get paid mega bucks the pressures associated with the jobs are immense.

although both Jewell and Curbishley looked shattered yesterday after the matches, just shows that whilist they get paid mega bucks the pressures associated with the jobs are immense.

Its not like any of us wouldnt take one of these jobs for the wages they get, to do a job they love. Its not all bad

not like any of us have stressful jobs tho :P

I will not be surprised to see Jewell going to City and Pearce going the otherway to Wigan, although both Jewell and Curbishley looked shattered yesterday after the matches, just shows that whilist they get paid mega bucks the pressures associated with the jobs are immense.

PRESSURE :lol::lol:

What a load of ...................................

I looked knackered yesterday too.

These managers have got it well easy and don't pretend any different.

Obviously you missed the documentary where they measured the heart rate of Allardyce and other managers during matches.

:wstu:

Erm, which other managers? They did AlLARDyce - overweight - out of condition - his heart rate shoots up because of how fast he chews gum.

Confirmed now they have appointed Chris Hutchings, i am glad i am not a wigan fan! I fear for there safety next season with that appointment, no experience except with a disasterous short spell at Bradford a few years back

yeah they are as good as relegated now in my opinion, and anyone can quote me on that in a years time

promoting assistant managers within their clubs rarely works, ask Charlton

Has no-one learnt from ray Harford or Brian Kidd. They were particularly large numbers 2s who had played important roles in Blackburn and Man Utd's successes, yet carried on being big number 2s despite being the manager. I think Jewell might take a break like Curbishley did. He's a fat bloke, and the stress of Sunday can't have done him much good.

To address the comment about money and pressure, managers are put under a lot of stress, especially when things go bad. Would you like thousands of people to turn up at where you work and call you all sort of names and demand you're sacked if you make a mistake? It reminds me of when Stan Collymore admitted to being depressed whilst at Villa, and John Gergory was sneering about how can anyone be depressed when they earn £20,000 a week. Income does not equate to happiness. Otherwise Kurt Cobain wouldn't have shot himself, Stephen Fry wouldn't have attempted suicide and Robbie Williams would be a lot more content with his life. John Gregory had shown himself to be a bitter and stupid man by making those comments public. Mind you he did love showing off his dirty washing.

To address the comment about money and pressure, managers are put under a lot of stress, especially when things go bad. Would you like thousands of people to turn up at where you work and call you all sort of names and demand you're sacked if you make a mistake? It reminds me of when Stan Collymore admitted to being depressed whilst at Villa, and John Gergory was sneering about how can anyone be depressed when they earn £20,000 a week. Income does not equate to happiness. Otherwise Kurt Cobain wouldn't have shot himself, Stephen Fry wouldn't have attempted suicide and Robbie Williams would be a lot more content with his life. John Gregory had shown himself to be a bitter and stupid man by making those comments public. Mind you he did love showing off his dirty washing.

Yes but the fact of the matter is that they are paid these rediculous salaries to deal with the publicity, media hype and attention. Take these factors away and you simply haven't got £20,000 a week to spend on a player.....

The example you give of Stan Collymore can easily be shot down. Gregory was right to question Collymore's depression - he brought a lot of his problems on himself. You look at Paul Scholes for example. When was the last time you heard anything about Scholes off the field? I'm not even sure I know what he sounds like!

A lot of players/managers have never worked in the real world and don't know what real-life stress is. Yes they may be under scrutiny for their performances, but they knew the pressures they faced when they became a professional. Compare this to the pressure of the average working family and you can't even begin to make comparisons.

Those players that whinge about hard work (60 football matches in 8 months is not hard work) are selfish, ignorant and uneducated little tossers - those that you never hear a word from respect the fact that they have one of the most sought-after jobs in the world and get paid thousands a week for doing so.

Confirmed now they have appointed Chris Hutchings, i am glad i am not a wigan fan! I fear for there safety next season with that appointment, no experience except with a disasterous short spell at Bradford a few years back

Well that's Wigan down next season then. It could be an interesting relegation battle next year as I don't feel Birmingham and Sunderland will be relegated, West Ham probably won't be involved either. Unless Fulham and Manchester City improve drastically then it could be a long struggle for them next year.

Shame for them this though he looked very drained after the game yesterday - probably just needs a break from it for a while.

He's looked a bit strained for a few games now, very hyper,and always worried he was going to lash out at someone.I think he needs a break, but well done Wigan on staying up,I'm chuffed for them.After what Whelan said about Rovers before the semi final,then iI return the good wish's.

As for West ham, the whole saga as been a total farce and a travesty,but I won't be sending any good wish's to them or giving any plaudits to Tevez

45milion budget,awwwwwwwwwwww,and to think it could have been 50 million if it wasn't for the fine.My ruddy hearts breaking.As for the groveling from the Egg man in the papers about not colluding, then he should look closer to home.....was that really Man United they were playing.

Anyhow well done Wigan,and off course Blackpool.

• 10 months later...

Apologies if the title of this thread is slightly misleading - referring back to when Paul Jewell resigned from Wigan last summer.

Jewell hasn't resigned from Pride Park, but his season is going from bad to worse, with Derby having gone 25 games without a victory in the Premiership - one short of Sunderland's all-time record of 26 top flight games. On top of that, a downmarket Sunday tabloid featured a lurid story about Jewell's private life yesterday.

For some reason I have always liked Jewell (as a person). He seems to be one of the good guys in the world of management.

I have some sympathy for Jewell. I don't think he's a bad person, but he's made a couple of huge mistakes.

Jewell should never have agreed to join Derby as manager. It should have been obvious to him that Derby would not only be relegated, but there was also a danger of humiliation this season which would do nothing to enhance his managerial CV.

Jewell made another big mistake joining Sheffield Wednesday in 2000, when the club were a shambles. His short spell at Hillsborough in charge of a debt-ridden club was a disaster for Jewell and he was sacked after just eight months with the club near the bottom of the old Division One.

I rather suspect that Jewell has been slightly overrated as a manager during his career. He's done well at only two of the four clubs he's been at - Bradford and Wigan. At Sheffield Wednesday and at Derby so far, his spells in charge have been disastrous. I accept that he had a massive task on his hands at Derby, but he surely must have been hoping to have gained at least one win for the club so far and to be in a position where Derby have a bit more than 10 points in the table - a pitiful points tally.

After another defeat against Middlesbrough on Saturday, Jewell said: "I can't tell you how frustrated, angry and horrible I feel. It's killing me inside, but what can I do? We know we are out of our depth. We have 10 points after 31 games and that tells its own story."

He spoke those words before details of his sex life emerged on Sunday. Paul, who is married with two kids, apparently filmed himself in a bondage sex video with another married woman. Not a very wise thing to do when you're in the public eye. It was another big mistake from Jewell and it's come back to haunt him. Paul is now apparently locked in talks with his wife at the couple's £1.5m West Yorkshire mansion to try to save their marriage.

The tabloid story yesterday is quite lurid and it may not be to everyone's taste. (Bondage certainly isn't to my taste).

But it appears as if Jewell has something of a rampant sex drive, a bit like our old friend Garry Flitcroft. Paul apparently enjoys slapping girls' bottoms and pulling their hair. (Each to their own I suppose, but it's not my cup of tea).

Humiliated on the pitch this season and now humiliated off the pitch, Jewell has sadly become a bit of a laughing stock. I have some sympathy for him, but you could argue that he's been his own worst enemy and has been guilty of some big errors of judgement

Edit: News of The World link is no longer available online.

Archived