BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Brother

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delicious irony that 'Charley' epitomised everything Chris Rock described last night in the house. Staggering around 'ooooh look at me ... I'm p**sed. I'm a lot thinner than you lot that's why I get drunk quicker'.

Then various gems that suggest: I know lots of famous people, and everyone copies what I wear, I won't work, I love to shop. etc etc

No love, you are a vacuous chavvy moron who looks like a fella, fired from a lap dancing club for being too suggestive (how bad does that have to be ?), and you need a punch in that overworked gob.

As for ni**ergate, Emily came across as a bit brainless really, and anyone who decides that 'Indie' is a new musical trend in 2007 would be exactly the kind of girl to use the 'N' word if she thought it would help her fit in, 'yeah I understand rap aswell dahling'.

Channel four are steaming hypocrites, 'We will not tolerate this kind of thing, we are disgusted at the use of this word.......... but it's on at ten o clock if you're interested.

I think it's all to do with context, etc.

Context ! Exactly ; all so called insulting words are about context ......sometimes they are acceptable , sometimes not . Nobody , for example , would walk up to a black stranger in a pub and call him a nigger - that would be offensive to say the least . If they'd known the bloke for a long time then it might be acceptable - even if the person saying it was white - the word doesn't "belong" to anyone , no word does .

If those believing that this word should always be censored then it'll be the beginning for many other words , make no doubt about it ......and it'll be a self annointed few who'll be doing the censoring ....

Just off hand I can think of a few instances when the "n" word has been used in an acceptable context - in Goodfellas and loads of other films ; the Elvis Costello record , Oliver's Army ; by the major in Fawlty Towers ....and by myself on this very forum :blink: It's all about context . :tu:

Plenty of honkys...erm, sorry white people listen to & like rap music (lord knows why? :huh: ) but i don`t honestly think the N word is as offensive as it used to be. It`s just the same as when Rovers fans started calling Bumley fans dingles...it was meant as an insult. Now some of the Dingles have adopted the term & call themselves dingles.

I think it`s the context of how the word is used. When i talk to my mate i call him allsorts, but he knows i only say it in jest. He replies with his own insult. It`s almost a competition to see who can come up with the best insult......but i`d never go up to a stranger or somebody i don`t really know that well & say "O`reyt fat c##t!" :unsure:

I suppose the simple answer to that is if there was music coming out where blacks referred to whites as "honkys" it would be be banned. Same as if black music referred to asians as "pakis".

Pretty straightforward- you are allowed to use predjudiced terms providing it refers to a group which you yourself belong. Its actually quite a good social tool, as you pointed out, as it over time takes the power out of the words. "Tory" and "Whig" were originally insults but over the years through adoption by those parties became neutral words in the language which are widely used without negative meaning.

Obviously we are not at a stage where 'nigger' or 'paki' can be considered neutral.

Class all round this , That witch from Chorlton and the Wheelies :rover:

Charlie Brooker's screen burn

Saturday June 9, 2007

The Guardian

People on TV aren't people; they're distorted electronic drawings of people, and only an idiot would judge someone based on how they come across on a reality show. Reader, I am that idiot. Big Brother 8 (C4, E4, daily) began with a gimmick presumably designed to quell sour memories of the race war. The house was pumped full of girls. Since a woman can't walk from one side of the room to the other without provoking a catty feud with at least three other females, even if you offered to pay them £100 per minute of camaraderie, these are ideal breeding conditions for a summer of life-enhancing squabbling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the time of writing, the house contains the following. Sam and Amanda. Chirping, identical borderline foetuses resembling the cover of a collector's edition of Barely Legal, their entrance was terrifying; toting lollipops and squealing about the colour pink, they seemed to have stepped out of a sinister, perverted remake of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. Lately, they've calmed down a bit: just as well, since thanks to all those mirrors, there often appear to be eight of them.

We'll skip Nicky and Chanelle for now, since both seem far too nice to succeed, and instead ponder Charley, an instant villain (played by Neneh Cherry) who made the classic error of assuming international celebrity status in her own mind the moment she entered the house. Not so much a person as a damning indictment of everything, I assume she'll have been evicted and booed to the moon and back by the time these words reach you. Almost a pity.

Next, Shabnam. An over-excited Meg and Mog blabbermouth cursed with demented eyes (the self-adhesive, googly ones you'd stick on a sock puppet), Shabnam has tucked her personality behind a wall of breathless prattle and is therefore hard to read. As is Tracey. Worzel Gummidge. Jimmy Savile. The Face of Boe. That witch from Chorlton And The Wheelies (pictured). Cackling rave Womble Tracey provides an inexhaustible supply of cruel lookalikes to choose from. For this reason alone, she's one of the more entertaining inhabitants, better than say, Emily, because Emily doesn't really look like anyone or anything, in the way that the cast of Hollyoaks don't look like anyone or anything either. A classic example of anonymous prettiness; the second your brain registers that she's attractive, it simultaneously deletes her face from memory.

Then there's Carole, Laura, and Lesley. The most likable housemates since Pete or Aisleyne, Carole and Laura haven't put a foot wrong; Lesley however, is becoming increasingly peculiar, and appears to have wandered into the house by mistake during a distracted "turn", like a menopausal shoplifter.

At the time of writing, there's only one man about the house - and he's a girl too. The human equivalent of Leslie Phillips saying "well, helllll-oh", oily, lipless Ziggy seems to have based his entire persona on Anthony Head's portrayal of a smug yuppie ###### attempting to bag Sharon Maughan in the old Gold Blend commercials. For some reason I have a recurring fantasy in which Ziggy eats something that disagrees with him, and spends an afternoon staggering around with liquid dribbling down his thighs, in full view of the girls and cameras. Anything to knock that self-satisfied look off his fizzog.

And that's it so far. Chances are by the time you read this, they'll have put some more men in. And, with any luck, Clyde the orang-utan and a wisecracking robot. We can dream.

I think it`s the context of how the word is used. When i talk to my mate i call him allsorts, but he knows i only say it in jest. He replies with his own insult. It`s almost a competition to see who can come up with the best insult......but i`d never go up to a stranger or somebody i don`t really know that well & say "O`reyt fat c##t!" :unsure:

Exactly, which is why she was out of order, context is everything. Anyone who doesn't see that is either daft or beligerent.

Exactly, which is why she was out of order, context is everything. Anyone who doesn't see that is either daft or beligerent.

A classic case of someone being offended on behalf of someone else . Try reading the transcript provided by Scouser at the top of the page ..... :rolleyes:

A classic case of someone being offended on behalf of someone else . Try reading the transcript provided by Scouser at the top of the page ..... :rolleyes:

What are you on about Muppet? I'm not offended for anyone, Charly clearly was taken aback by the comment and if you read the full transcript she said several times that she couldn't believe she'd said that to her. As you said yourself, it's about context. Emily barely knows the girl so how on earth she thinks she can call her a nigger is beyond belief. If I walked into a pub and said how you doin nigger to the nearest black chap, i'd expect a smack in the chops.

Which bit are you struggling to understand?

That 'nigger' is an offensive word?

Only in context , Matt ....only in context .

If you've read the transcript or seen the bit shown on the news you might grasp that concept . The girls - who some feel were mortally offended - were actually giggling at it all ....

If you do ever grasp the meaning of "context" try and explain it to the terminally offended Manc Blue....... :rolleyes:

Only in context , Matt ....only in context .

If you've read the transcript or seen the bit shown on the news you might grasp that concept . The girls - who some feel were mortally offended - were actually giggling at it all ....

If you do ever grasp the meaning of "context" try and explain it to the terminally offended Manc Blue....... :rolleyes:

Instead of rolling your eyes like a clown then please go back and re-read the full transcript and not just the bits that suit your purpose. Charly repeatedly said to her I can't believe you said that. To her credit she didn't make a major deal of it because it was clear she didn't intend it to be offensive. However that doesn't justify it.

If the stuff that happened previously then she may have got away with an apology but then again she may not. I don't need anyone to explain the meaning if context, least of all the likes of you. You on the other hand are clearly struggling with the concept so lets try and make it simple. If Emily was in her circle of friends who had no issue with being called nigger then of course that would be fine. However to call someone she barely knows a nigger is at best extremely stupid and at worst extemely offensive.

Have you grasped it yet?

Indeed, at least get to know the person before you say "yo nigger" or whatever. It's basic social skills. You have got to gauge the personality of who you're talking to before you make a joke about something like anal sex or paedophilia.

Have to admit, I'd love to have grabbed that girl on Shipwrecked by the wrist and dragged her off saying that i was going to brand her and rape her as she is now my slave. Wouldn't have done it, but it would have been interesting what her reaction would be.

If Emily was in her circle of friends who had no issue with being called nigger then of course that would be fine. However to call someone she barely knows a nigger is at best extremely stupid and at worst extemely offensive.

Have you grasped it yet?

I've grasped it perfectly . The girls concerned DIDN'T take it as offensive ....therefore the girl coming out with the word judged the company she was in very well indeed !!

What remains then was a mixture of bemusement and amusement from the girls concerned . No crime there then .....

Unless of course you take into account the usual bleating and hand wringing from people like yourself who know none of the persons involved ......and yet insist that you should be the sole judge of how they react to the "n" word....

In my mums day, the Welsh girl would have been called a 'valley girl' since she is from the Rhondda. And it isn't good being called that, its like bein called a slapper. there was a local cartoonist who worked for a local paper, and he did a cartoon based on a Rhonndda wedding, where two old ladies are standing outside the church watching the couple come out to confetti with one saying to the other "Now there's posh, she isn't even pregnant."

I've grasped it perfectly . The girls concerned DIDN'T take it as offensive ....therefore the girl coming out with the word judged the company she was in very well indeed !!

What remains then was a mixture of bemusement and amusement from the girls concerned . No crime there then .....

Unless of course you take into account the usual bleating and hand wringing from people like yourself who know none of the persons involved ......and yet insist that you should be the sole judge of how they react to the "n" word....

Yet you feel fully qualified to judge the situation even though by your own admission you have only seen a snip on the news and small part of transcript. The girl concerned , not girls, there was only one who was referred to as nigger, or the n word if you prefer. I didn't think i'd see the day our great white warrior used that expression.

No problem though, it;s clear you are talking nonsense with nothing to back it up but still bring out the usual lables like pc, liberal and what not if it makes you feel better and distracts from the rubbish you are spouting and trying to pass off as fact. It amazes me that the biggest whiner on the board when anyone even mentions racism is the first to start throwing silly labels such as "bleating and hand wringing from people like me"

Tell you what why don't you throw a few of those rolleyes in instead, that'll cover up for you lack of a decent argument eh? Come on move along..nothing to see.

Yet you feel fully qualified to judge the situation even though by your own admission you have only seen a snip on the news and small part of transcript. The girl concerned , not girls, there was only one who was referred to as nigger, or the n word if you prefer. I didn't think i'd see the day our great white warrior used that expression.

No problem though, it;s clear you are talking nonsense with nothing to back it up but still bring out the usual lables like pc, liberal and what not if it makes you feel better and distracts from the rubbish you are spouting and trying to pass off as fact. It amazes me that the biggest whiner on the board when anyone even mentions racism is the first to start throwing silly labels such as "bleating and hand wringing from people like me"

Tell you what why don't you throw a few of those rolleyes in instead, that'll cover up for you lack of a decent argument eh? Come on move along..nothing to see.

Deary me ....you are getting worked up .... :blink:

(Unlike the other girl(s) in Big Brother ....... :rover::lol: )

What a strange post!! I thought you were trying to get debate on this sort of subject to simmer down, not perpetuate it with such evident glee!!!

ICBINF was originally an area that was a bit of fun and somewhere to post non-football stuff. Whether or not you appreciate that Geese are harder than Ducks is irrelevant, it's what the board was all about. Whether or not you like it this is a Blackburn Rovers messageboard, not a Blackburn one. You may think politics more important and that is fine so what you need to is stop posting on this board and fine one of the many that does politics. Apologies for the lecturing tone but what's good for the goose.

Archived