BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Radio Stations

TalkSport is intolerable these days. Its like a quiz station. Take away the needless half hour news bulletins, travel, adverts, How-Low promotions, lucky letter things with a 1 in 1000 chance of winning, boring quizzes inevitably sponsored by Budget Van Insurance, and you're left with probably 6 minutes of actual content in an hour.

I used to listen all day but now just listen to Brazil and Beeky (although they irritate me with their "TEXT IN AND CALL BEEKY A TUBE - 50P PLUS NORMAL SENDING CHARGES!") and the wonderful H&J. Gaunt is an odious man who cuts off callers after 10 seconds, the majority of whom are admittedly cockney van drivers with an IQ barely in double figures, and Durham is just a stupid wind-up merchant.

H & J, Gab Marchotti. Micky Quinn, Nigel Pearson and Ian Danter are wasted on this crap. Mike Parry is an absolute imbecile and John Gaunt is a xenophobic cretin. I think a lot of TalkSport is aimed at Daily Star/Daily Mail readers who cant be arsed with reading.

I would have thought there would be sufficient demand for an alternative but apparently not :angry:

As for Atlantic 252, your school days must have just flown by :blink:

It was odd actually. I'd be listening to all the crap rave music and that dodgy dance music, and think it was OK. Then I'd go home in Hong Kong for the holidays, and listen to nowt but grunge, Metallica and INXS. It has always struck me how different the music scenes were. As for Atlantic 252, thankfully there were CD players available, and a friend who was big on Iron Maiden etc.

Great topic here

I'm moving back to London at the end of the month and feeling a bit down about leaving my expat life. This has cheered me up no end as breakfast radio is one of the things I miss most about the UK. Can still pick it up on the net of course but not when I'm in the shower or on the train.

Used to listen to Pete and Geoff on Virgin, who packed it in 18 months ago. 2 blokes with very different syle who just seemed to click on air. Not sure they were too keen on each other by the end though.

When I get back I think I'll take Scotty's advice and give Radio 6 a try. Stopped listening to Radio 1 when I was at University. When they gave Simon Mayo the boot for being too old (what?) I thought it was time for me to move on.

Gaunt is an odious man who cuts off callers after 10 seconds, the majority of whom are admittedly cockney van drivers with an IQ barely in double figures, and Durham is just a stupid wind-up merchant.

Gaunt is a bigot of the highest order who simply refuses to tolerate anyone with a different opinion (he'd be in good company on this messageboard :blink: ) . Usually when he's on holiday his replacement is George Galloway who is excellent and actually has the capacity to debate with those who ring in .

Besides that Alan Brasil is in a class of his own - always worth listening to . Mind you as it's the Uriah Heep like Nicky Campbell who is on at the same time on 5 Live there's not much competition for him....

5 live , in general , is awful . More of a wishy washy PC debating society than a hard news provider ; it tends to rely on the mind numbing "text or ring in your views" format .

Best music DJ on the radio - Tony James on Radio Cumbria :tu:

• 7 months later...

Listening to Century last night while driving home from work, usually Umberto is on and it's quite fun listening to the debate's about various topics, most of it is done in a nice manner and it's good to listen too, but this week Umberto is off and they have drafted in what I think you can call a shock jock ie Howard Stern wannabe, his starting topic was about a guy who was attacked and killed by his own dog, I know a bad enough incident but this guy then went on to question why should people have dogs as pets and then extended it to say why should people have any pets at all and what uses are dogs. cats etc.

Now this is going to produce a reaction which I think is what he was wanting, he sounds like he wants to be Howard Stern and shock people with his views or statements that will wind people up, for every 1 caller who agree's with him gonna be 10 who will want to argue against him, he even cut a woman off who called his views crap, don't think I will bother listening to this self hype idiot.

Archived