BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Away Ends

Yes Fife, and didn't we pay for that when James tore us to shreds at the Vetch in the defining match of the 1980/1 promotion campaign?

So many matches on this thread I went to- lots and lots of memories.

I rather enjoyed our two visits to Field Mill to play Mansfield- nice open ended terrace and the weather was nice for both games. Good Rovers following especially on that Good Friday when Duncan McKenzie scored that wonder goal with an overhead flick direct from an over hit corner from the tightest of angles.

The Manor Ground at Oxford also had good atmosphere for an open terrace but thankfully my presence in 1962/3 was only listening on the radio.

Also remember that game we lost 4-0 at Leicester (Mike Newell scored) when we were given the side that backed on to the terraced houses at Filbert Street- was it six people deep if that? Most non-League grounds have bigger stands.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nostalgia's all very well but what about the other bits .... the stench of urine in the loos, the crumbling terraces, the decrepit Victorian grounds, open terraces on which you either froze or got soaked and very often both and above all the fear of violence from neanderthal Rovers and opposition supporters (or perhaps you enjoyed a fight ?) . Give me a safe modern stadium any day.

Cant believe no-one has thought to mention Bury away when we sealed promotion, now that was simply fantastic with Rovers having 3 sides of the ground (or so it seemed).

For me Burnley away on Boxing Day, Anfield for the League Cup when KD saved their skins with a massive Rovers following, Deby County away in the FA Cup and the Play Offs, Plymouth Argyle away on Speedie Day, Chesterfield and wrexham away in our promotion season, Port Vale in 73, oh the memories.

No doubt we can also mention Middlesboro and Roker as well as St James, in the old days they were all great atmospheres.

:brfc:

Cant believe no-one has thought to mention Bury away when we sealed promotion, now that was simply fantastic with Rovers having 3 sides of the ground (or so it seemed).

For me Burnley away on Boxing Day, Anfield for the League Cup when KD saved their skins with a massive Rovers following, Deby County away in the FA Cup and the Play Offs, Plymouth Argyle away on Speedie Day, Chesterfield and wrexham away in our promotion season, Port Vale in 73, oh the memories.

No doubt we can also mention Middlesboro and Roker as well as St James, in the old days they were all great atmospheres.

:brfc:

Park End at Goodison when Lineker bagged (a couple I think)in the cup. Seriously that was frightening, a couple of years pre Hillsborough and could have had disasterous consequences.

apart from the special occasions, port vale 75, bury 1980, plymouth in 92 and the cup finals, coventry in 93 was a great atmosphere. we lost the game but kept singing to the end. the coventry fans came on the pitch at the end and applauded us.

Great thread CLB - it prompted me to get out my Simon Inglis book of the old grounds last night.

I think you have nailed the top 5, although bubbling under I would add a couple of trips to Meadow Lane: the first when they pipped us to promotion under Ken Furphy and the second an FA Cup tie in King Kenny's first season when Speedie got sent off. Plus a trip to Grimsby when we went up from the 3rd - first game of the season I think. Dodgy walk back to the station along the seafront.

Although the ground was a shambles, I always enjoyed our trips to Halifax in the early '70's. The train station was right next to Mackintosh's toffee works....Mmmmm...toffeeeee.......

I was at the Grimsby game, had to boot a couple of Grimsby nutters off the coach, trying to get on.

Halifax, I remember the train coming in late and the Rovers fans opening the gates, seemed like there was always a few scuffles in the side there. Bus drivers and such watching the game from the bus depot.

Nostalgia's all very well but what about the other bits .... the stench of urine in the loos, the crumbling terraces, the decrepit Victorian grounds, open terraces on which you either froze or got soaked and very often both and above all the fear of violence from neanderthal Rovers and opposition supporters (or perhaps you enjoyed a fight ?) . Give me a safe modern stadium any day.

That's what nostalgia is jim, you forget the "other bits" I can imagine many would tolerate some of the other stuff if the atmosphere's could return.

My first away end was Queen of the South v Ayr United in 1980. There were about 20 of us. There was no shelter and to cap it all my then boyfriend had broken his neck on the way down (we didn't know it at the time) when the car he was the middle passanger in the back in went over a bump. It rained

My first Rovers away was Burnden park in 1995-6. It was very crowded and we lost. And Matty Holmes scored our goal. It rained.

Have never seen the joys of open terracing since (Portsmouth in the rain is the pits.)

Speaking of taunting the Dingle's players: Anyone remember the match at Ewood when Leighton James had to be subbed off in tears as the BBE and a good few others continually sang "Leighton James is a homosexual" interspersed with "Leighton's wife is on the game again"?

Thinking about it now, I can't understand why the ref didn't stop the game and have an announcement made that he would abandon the match if the crowd did not cease this disgraceful chant.

Don't agree Fife, that was just par for the course for a professional footballer in those days.

Job extremely well done by the Blackburn End if that's what actually happened, I don't specifically recall it.

On the same note we were narrowly and heroically beaten 1-0 by the then all conquering Liverpool at Anfield c1978. Kenny Dalglish was mercilessly taunted with similar chants throughout of "Kenny's wife is on the job again" from the magnificently vociferous 10,000 Rovers fans packed into one corner of the old Kemlyn Road stand. It didn't stop him scoring the winner in the 83rd minute.

Glad Fife mentioned Port Vale away in 1975, (it was a Saturday 3p.m. ) 80 degree heat, fantastic following at one end, and Stuart Metcalfe running half the length of the pitch and dribbling round four or five players to notch one of the goals in a 4-1 victory!

Happy journey back in Dad's Sunbeam Rapier!

Other favourite memories from two or three years earlier and finding our seats at Spotland (Rochdale) which were like old padded cinema seats with the stuffing coming out of them. Then looking to the left and realising you couldn't see the action because the glass sides of the stand was so filthy! (Ended up moving forward onto the terracing)

Also an Easter fixture at Halifax when several bus loads of Rovers fans drew up on the road outside the ground, slid down the bank on their arse and took over the stand next to us!

Overall though I agree with jim. (Although he's probably being his usual facetious self :) ) I used to sit in the "posh" seats at Ewood in the old timber construction Nuttall Street Stand and god, when you went for a pee or a coffee at half time you were jammed in the narrow corridors unable to move in either direction.

With the benefit of hindsight there but for the grace of god it wasn't another Bradford job.

Glad Fife mentioned Port Vale away in 1975, (it was a Saturday 3p.m. ) 80 degree heat, fantastic following at one end, and Stuart Metcalfe running half the length of the pitch and dribbling round four or five players to notch one of the goals in a 4-1 victory!

My one claim to fame as a Rovers fan was being one of the first onto the pitch at the end of that game, and definitely the first to throw myself onto Gordon Lee before being drowned in a mob of thousands of other Lancastrians engulfing the pitch. Remember it as a very hot day and a hell of a long walk from the station, but a brilliant atmosphere all the way - our first taste of glory for a couple of decades.

I'd forgotten our one and only league visit to Rochdale in that era. I seem to remeber a compact, and hence packed and very noisy away end in front of which Barry Endean put one over the bar from all of 6 inches out.

Don't agree Fife, that was just par for the course for a professional footballer in those days.

It still is . Beckham's had worse taunts than that regarding his wife - and himself......he's man enough to laugh them off and carry on playing . Same with Ronaldo and Cantona .

I did in the original post :rolleyes::lol:

5th in my top five!

Jim - if you were thinking of me in the fighting bit (Grimsby match), I never got involved in that sort of thing but if you went on the train in those days you had the odd problem here and there. :brfc:

I recall going to Ayresome park many moons ago. The away end for small teams like us was an open V shaped teccace between the covered end and the side stand. We took shed loads up, and it was raining heavily (as per in Teeside). So they kindly allowed us into the empty seated and covered area behind the goal, opposite the home end. Remember us winning 2-1, and Noel Brotherstone getting the red card. As he walked off down the tunnel, he gave the home fans a two fingered salute. Broth-head got a summons to the FA for a disciplinary, and Bob Saxton went down to defend Noel, his defence was that he was merely indicating the scoreline at the time to the home fans.

Sending offs were very rare in those days, you really had to go some to get an early bath.

Away ends pre Taylor report were all of a similar style-an uncovered terrace, usually surrounded by high steel fences and barbed wire, with the terrace generally in a state of dis-repair from some 80 odd years of urine, acid rain and lack of investement. These include classics such as Oldham, Carlisle, Barnsley, Chelsea, Oxford (0-1 FA cup 1985) and Notts County, whilst some clubs treated you to a roof, such as Grimsby, Man City, Ewood (!), Sheff United (Underneath the big stand) and so on.

I think for atmosphere, I would choose Maine Road under the roof of the Kippax as the best. A thin section of no mans land in between the two sets of fans, a deep terrace and a cavernous roof that allowed the chants and noise to deafen! Of course the danger element was part of the thrill to a young man such as myself in those days, and they were really dangerous trips to Moss Side too, and the exit at the back after the match was also a real death trap, but I can't help view it with a nostalgic longing for a time when football was a real experience.

Gigg Lane at the end of 79-80 season when we won promotion from the third winning 2-1 with goals from Andy Crawford. The Rovers fans jumping up and down had the stand above us wobbling which made them jump around even more. The atmosphere that night was fantastic and Gigg Lane will always hold a place in my heart (as will Andy Crawford) for that night.

Gigg Lane at the end of 79-80 season when we won promotion from the third winning 2-1 with goals from Andy Crawford. The Rovers fans jumping up and down had the stand above us wobbling which made them jump around even more. The atmosphere that night was fantastic and Gigg Lane will always hold a place in my heart (as will Andy Crawford) for that night.

I got thrown out of that game, for 'mistakenly' going into the Bury end (pished) and cheering for Rovers. It was strange though, as I was simply able to walk down to the away fans section and join the rest of the rovers rabble.

:rover:

Away ends pre Taylor report were all of a similar style-an uncovered terrace, usually surrounded by high steel fences and barbed wire, with the terrace generally in a state of dis-repair from some 80 odd years of urine, acid rain and lack of investement.

OJ you forgot to add the Floodlight pylons as well which use to be common feature and vantage points

Indeed Capt, as I entered through the turntstiel at the BBE of old,

52_t104.jpg

one was faced with the steep steps up to the top and a bloody great floodlight pylon on the left. That was my favourite bit about going to Ewood, the walk up those knackered old terrace steps and reaching the top and seeing the vibrant green pitch infront of me. Brings a tear to an old manys eye (ooh-er).

Tried to google a view from the old BBE looking to the pitch, but the best I could do is this view from the Riverside.

ewoodold2.jpg

52_t104.jpg

one was faced with the steep steps up to the top and a bloody great floodlight pylon on the left. That was my favourite bit about going to Ewood, the walk up those knackered old terrace steps and reaching the top and seeing the vibrant green pitch infront of me. Brings a tear to an old manys eye (ooh-er).

Tried to google a view from the old BBE looking to the pitch, but the best I could do is this view from the Riverside.

ewoodold2.jpg

One of my most prized paintings is a watercolour of the "Blackburn End: Last Match May 8th, 1993". It hangs on the wall in my study where I can see it every time I look up from my keyboard. Incidentally Ozzie. the floodlight pylon was on the right as you walked up the steps from the turnstiles of the Nuttall St entrance to the BBE. :)

52_t104.jpg

ewoodold2.jpg

Nice one Ozzie, love seeing those old photo's.

Know what you mean with the running up the steps bit, I always dreamed I'd get t' top and see a massive crowd :rolleyes:

Nice one Ozzie, love seeing those old photo's.

Know what you mean with the running up the steps bit, I always dreamed I'd get t' top and see a massive crowd :rolleyes:

Hey! What gives? You have obviously got some picture(s) from Ozzie's collection. All I have got is a tiny wee red X! :blink:

This thread brings back so many happy memories. The best one was driving down to Swindon for a FA cup match in a yellow intack hire van. Kevin (the driver) going round a roundabout 4 times as he didn't know which exit to take. Being stopped on the way home by the police, it didn't help that there were 11 drunken idiots in the van, being asked where we were from, all shouted Oswaldtwistle, spell that you buggers. They could do as they had arrested some idiots from there the week before for badger baiting :blink: I think Oldhams ground was the worst, on top of a hill, it was always freezing and blowing a gale.

Memories. My son thinks I am mad going on about the good old days :rolleyes::rolleyes: but you couldn't beat standing on the Blackburn End, singing your hearts out for the lads. :tu:

Lots of great memories

Anyone remember Carlisle away 1985 i think Boxing day, stopped in a village pub off the M6 and this Carlisle fan said the crowd would be 6k today, his face was a picture when i said yep and that'll be our following..

Away end full, stood on the side, fighting all day between the away end and their end..Faz put away a penalty and we were top of the old Div 1..Rovers fans singing and celebrating on all four corners

Thats the good part of the 80's

The part we have thankfully moved on from was that..

Unfortunately after the game in front of me a slap of concrete hit a guy on the back of the head and he died

Anyone remember Carlisle away 1985 i think Boxing day,

English Division 2 (old)

Carlisle 0 (0) - 1(0) Blackburn

At Brunton Park on 29-08-1983

Just checked on Soccerbase, I thought it was earlier than 1985. I was there and we took thousands. And yes it did kick off after the match. Rough old days those.

Archived