BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Blackburn Rovers Academy

I've been saying this for ages; the local catchment area does not have the talent pool of Manchester, Liverpool, or London. Rovers don't have the experience or set up for bringing in foreign imports therefore we will always struggle with our youth teams. Organised competitive local youth leagues, a supportive education system, supplementary - rather than primary - professional coaching, not putting too much pressure on them at a young age, decent pitches to play on, and a local club that treats them well when they do get there will enable BFRC to take the cream off the top of a well oiled machine.

As a generality English kids do not have the technical ability of many European and South American countries. Until the culture changes from; "lump it!", "stop fannying about with it!", and "get stuck in!" we will always be the nearly men.

You've been out of the country too long 'speeeeeedie' being involved in local football at youth level and adult level, firtsly Rovers current youths are made up of foreign youths, the local leagues now play on some of the best pitches the borough have ever seen, the youth level is aswell organised and highly competitive as its ever been all levels.

The standard for a gem of a young footballer to progress into the first team is as high as its ever been because Mark Hughes and his team along have recruited talent of the highest standard, the problem with Rovers is strength in depth or being able to carry quality players at a club such as Rovers which would be hard to do.

You cant ask kids to be technically gifted if their parents or the elder generations were never technically gifted... can we.

• 1 month later...
This guy didn't stay long. I get the feeling that the rovers academy isn't held in the same high regard that it used to be. Clubs are overtaking us very quickly.

Official Liverpool site

Just trying to use us as a stepping stone.

Never really heard tell of him, but 15 years at Crewe says it all if he was active in getting youth players to them since 1991/92.

I think that the biggest problem the youth structure has is that clubs like Manu grab the best of the young talent and we are left with the best of the rest. It's tough to produce a diamond when you start off with only semi precious stones.

All the best coaching in the world cannot replace natural born talent. It's a uphill task but you have to try.

• 2 weeks later...

The Academy boys played on Saturday as they warmed up for there new season with a 3-1 win over Bury.

Arestidou - Kavanagh, Paterson, Bateson, Dave ? (from Liverpool) - Michael, Bob Frances/Franchise, Keita, Simpson - Clarke, Tsoumou

Bussmann - Skidmore, Paterson, Bateson, Roberts (moved later into centre midfield, and Dave came on again, but was injured, so Keita played at right back) - McCubbin, Bob, O'Connor,Morrison (he played then as a striker for Clarke and a player from last years U16 called Mike came on) - Clarke, Brierley

The best IMHO was the partnership between trialist Bob and Keita. This looked promising and I'm really excited. Hopefully they will sign him. We have a much better team then last year and will hopefully have a good season.

Goals from Paterson with a header from a corner, nice break by Clarke to make it 2-0. and Morrison with a nice break to finish it off 3-1.

The researves/under 20`s were also in action as they beat Sheffeild FC 7-0!!!! Hat-tricks from De-Vita and Joe Garner and 1 from the Swedish starlet Martin Ollsen capped a fine display as Rovers ran riot over the non league team.

I think that the biggest problem the youth structure has is that clubs like Manu grab the best of the young talent and we are left with the best of the rest. It's tough to produce a diamond when you start off with only semi precious stones.

All the best coaching in the world cannot replace natural born talent. It's a uphill task but you have to try.

It's true to a certain point. My son is at an Academy with a Premiership club, and whilst we had an offer to sign for Utd, we decided against it at this point in time. Utd sign lots of kids per age group and whilst its good for them, the kids tend to only play 1 in 4 games and cannot play for their saturday/sunday clubs....So, Blackburn/Bolton/City/Everton do get the cream early on, but don't keep them right through to the leaving school age....

I think our academy is on the edge of firing some top young players into our 1st team squad - the likes of Treacy, Nolan, Kane, Taylor, Barker, Garner, De-Vita, Zak jones, Arestidou all have great potential.

Just look at how Derbyshire took the step up last year. Peter is just on the edge, as is Nolan & Taylor.

Archived