BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Usa Football..what Do You Think?

For the MLS to seriously improve I think they need to scrap or totally re-vamp the draft system. Players coming out of college are already in their twenties and have had no top class coaching really.

I imagine thousands of talented kids kicking balls around in parks and streets across America are overlooked. The MLS and it's teams need a better grass roots set up if it is to realise it's full potential.

For the MLS to seriously improve I think they need to scrap or totally re-vamp the draft system. Players coming out of college are already in their twenties and have had no top class coaching really.

I imagine thousands of talented kids kicking balls around in parks and streets across America are overlooked. The MLS and it's teams need a better grass roots set up if it is to realise it's full potential.

This is true and that is in progress, as several MLS teams have established youth set ups. In addition, USSF is revamping it's youth set up to broaden the sweep. But as was pointed out, there are some politics and cultural norms to overcome here.

I would also like to point out that McBride, Reyna, Friedel, Keller, Bocanegra, DeMerit, Eddie Lewis, and of course Ryan Nelsen are all products of the University system, for what that's worth...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow some freakin good points have come up. In a way im kinda sad seeing the lack of a true youth football system here in the states but im hoping we will learn real soon to get one started. Also want to give a heads up that the USA won the CONCACAF gold cup going undefeated and beating Mexico 2-1 in the final. Watching the game it should have been 5-2 US easily but missing sitters in front of goal seemed to be the style of the day for both teams. Tim Howard did well and did Oswaldo Sanchez (in goal).

Over all a good game nothing like watching Rovers play but you still have to show support to your home squad. Again great job to the US MNT and keep up the good work!!!

The MLS is very complicated. I think that it is still in an identity crisis. I agree that American fans will not support a second or lower tier league unless there is something attractive in the product.

I'm surprised I hadn't seen this thread before, but it's been an excellent read to say the least.

I just wanted to chime in one point in response to what awhom has said here. In addition to not wanting to support a second-class league, Americans now are also extremely unlikely to support a sport that fails to offer instant gratification. While this has always been true to an extent, consider the influence that SportsCenter has had on American sporting culture: we're much less interested in a solid but unspectacular assist for an easy bucket and more fixated on the thunderous alley-oop -- no matter that the oop came in garbage time from a player on the team losing by 20. Soccer is a sport with few highlights, at least in the ESPN sense of the term, and accordingly I hear a lot of my friends moan, "I don't get why you watch this. This is so boring."

As far as the MLS goes, there's no question that the spending power needed to put it at least on par with the Premiership, La Liga, and Serie A exists here in the U.S. But as many have alluded to, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg scenario for American soccer: Americans are unlikely to pay to watch an inferior product in any sport, and without a large fanbase providing revenue opportunities, investors will never spend the money necessary to bring in star players (and not just one).

I think a showing by the USA B-Team at the Copa America would be a huge sign that USa soccer is on the rise. Granted, witht he group we drew and the group we are bringing, I expect nothing, but advacing from the group round of this tourney on the hells of another victory over MExico (although one that Mexico should have had int he bag after the first half) would be a great sign.

However, the fact taht we haven't played outside the states since the WC makes me worry.

Also want to give a heads up that the USA won the CONCACAF gold cup going undefeated and beating Mexico 2-1 in the final.

A sellout crowd at Soldier Field in Chicago; 90% of them Mexican. A very weird sight, but it goes some way to explain an aspect of the US football system; immigrants still rule. US-Mexico has a bit of needle to it, so I reckon that it would be very strange playing at home with the crowd against you.

The US are improving. The team on Sunday contained Howard, Spector, Beasley, Dempsey, Oneyhu (spelling?) who all played regularly in the Premier League last season.

Everyone's favourite, Freddie Adu, has one last chance to shine in the world u-20's starting next month. A bad effort here and it could be curtains for his Man U career.

Everyone's favorite, Freddie Adu, has one last chance to shine in the world u-20's starting next month. A bad effort here and it could be curtains for his Man U career.

Well i must say that im not a fan of Adu at all. I have met him twice and unlike the class of an older player, hes a prick! In a way i understand seeing as he went pro at 14 years of age and that for sum time people have been telling him that hes number one. I for one am glad he didnt make a showing at the gold cup and don"t think he"ll have what it takes to make it in Man u IMO.

I have to say again that MLS still has a loooonnng way to go before itll be taking serious by the American people. Football has always been big here but in youth only. I also think that its not as big because like some one else stated it doesnt have the huge pay days that Baseball (worst sport EVER IMO) basketball football and even hockey offer. In till then it's gonna be like the old frase says money walks and BS talks.

Kids growing up see all the fancy things pros buy with all the millions and well most stars that come from poor areas see it as its better to play basketball and make millions there then to play football (soccer) and just get by. We need to spend the money on a youth system that works! By the way is there anyone out there that is willing to come over here to show us how a youth system that works...well really works?

Archived