BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] July 1st

I'm a smoker, but I'm 100 % behind banning smoking from public places .Passive smoking isn't nice, but I don't smoke in public places anyhow.I'm trying to give up, so keep up the good work.

Now they've done this, I hope they see sense and start working towards making the Town center traffic free, because as much as people are so against smokers and having to breathe their smoke,I'm just as much against having to breathe in peoples traffic fumes.The town center should be made public transport only,and even better be like Manchester and bring back the trams.

As a smoker trying to give up ,its fair enough you don't want my smoke, but it's also faior enough that I don't want your dirty fumes either.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's also time the banned kids from shopping trollys.

The thought that previously some nappy filled oink has been sat in the trolly that the Mrs is collecting my weekly intake of food disgusts me.

Really looking forward to this. I was reminded of the ban when I was sat at the bus stop yesterday. A man sits down a few seats away from me and lights up. The smoke is blown in the wind right into my face, so I have to move. If he'd have just stood behind, or at the other end of the shelter, then I wouldn't have had to move.

Pleased tell me the ban includes bus stops!

Really looking forward to this. I was reminded of the ban when I was sat at the bus stop yesterday. A man sits down a few seats away from me and lights up. The smoke is blown in the wind right into my face, so I have to move. If he'd have just stood behind, or at the other end of the shelter, then I wouldn't have had to move.

Pleased tell me the ban includes bus stops!

It's going to be anywhere that's a public place, and the biggest gripe is going to be pubs.No pub will be allowed to have anyone in that smokes.Some pubs are signing up to have special shelters outside where people can smoke,a bit like being quaranteened.

What I don't understand is why places like the town center that are enforcing this ban are still allowing the shops to sell tobacco,and how can something that is not classed as an illegal substance be banned.It's legal to sell it, but not right to smoke it.

It's also time the banned kids from shopping trollys.

The thought that previously some nappy filled oink has been sat in the trolly that the Mrs is collecting my weekly intake of food disgusts me.

I hope them nappies are recyclable.

Reduce , reuse , recycle...the new 3 r's.

It's going to be anywhere that's a public place.

I don't think that's strictly true. I thought it was enclosed public places. Therefore Bus Stops, Train Stations etc will not be covered. It's for this reason that pubs are indeed putting up shelters and more out door heaters. I just hope they don't let them all stand in the entrance ways.

Still, can't wait for july 1st.

I don't think that's strictly true. I thought it was enclosed public places. Therefore Bus Stops, Train Stations etc will not be covered. It's for this reason that pubs are indeed putting up shelters and more out door heaters. I just hope they don't let them all stand in the entrance ways.

Landlords have renamed it the 50% rule... any space with more than 50% walls is classed as enclosed.

Preston railway station will be interesting then....

Its something daft like anything that has a roof and is more than 50% enclosed. I was working in Wales when they brought the ban in there, and they had to take a window out of the glass smoking shelter to comply.

People are also banned from smoking in company cars as well.. not that I care mind being a non smoker.

This is something I've never thought of and will now haunt me every time I go to Tesco. Thanks Alan

I don't think that's strictly true. I thought it was enclosed public places. Therefore Bus Stops, Train Stations etc will not be covered. It's for this reason that pubs are indeed putting up shelters and more out door heaters.

Some stations, Manchester Picadilly and more recently Manchester Airport are smoke free already

It's going to be virtually impossible enforcing certain train stations as non-smoking, while letting people smoke at others. Therefore, I would have thought it a certainty that all train stations will be non-smoking.

I'm not so sure about bus stops though. As they aren't really enclosed, it isn't an issue of health, just one of real annoyance. If people were more courteous, it wouldn't be a problem.

Some stations, Manchester Picadilly and more recently Manchester Airport are smoke free already

I was more thinking about the open air ones. For example Slough has 1 ticket office (which will be no smoking) and 6 platforms which are open air so I'm sure people will still be able to smoke.

Paddington on the other hand will be an interesting case. It is undercover however there is a massive vehicle entrance with is always open to the elements. That is the way out to some bus stops and in this case, I would much prefer people to spark up inside then everyone crowd the entrance and then having to walk through it.

It's kind of like that Airport affect where the second people are outside the revolving doors, they drop the bags and spark up. Damn whoever's behind them trying to also get out only to be greeted with a cloud of smoke.

Can you tell I'm a non-smoker and will be eternally grateful when the ban comes in?

It's got me thinking because I've just got back from local cricket,and that must mean come July 1st that the whole cricket ground must be non smoking.If that's the case ,then so be it.If i know I can't smoke then I just forget about ciggys.It's helping me,so I'm happy with it.

What bugged me was when I was in town last week and some where smoking in corner near Tesco,and an official started laying the law down .I heard him say to them , "soon you won't be able to smoke anywhere".......just another official with power ,and I thought his attitude was wrong

We have had it here is OZ for about 2 years now and it has been a great success.

Smokers can still smoke but they just change their habits to smoke in areas that aren't filled with people. Instead of smoking at the bar, they go outside, instead of the train station platform they finish before they go in.

Pretty easy really.

I've been a non smoker now for donkeys years but I rem when nearly everybody seemed to smoke... everywhere! On the trains, buses etc even at the pictures and in aeroplanes! Seems horrific now doesn't it? Odd thing is that in those days nobody, not even the non smokers, appeared to object too much.

Brilliant - Will be able to go into the local without having to wash my t-shirt afterwards and without having to squint when my eyes start to hurt. No need to waft away the smoke at the bar and, hey, a vastly reduced chance of getting cancer through 'passive smoking.'...........unclean, ring ring,.........unclean, ring ring........unclean........... :brfc:

From a response to that article..... If true about that shower it does not suprise me one bit BUT it should not be allowed to happen....

"I have heard that the MPS in Westminister are to be allowed to continue smoking in certain areas of the Commons. I thought it applied to all Public Buildings but there again Politicians and the Quacks seem to forget its through Tobacco revenue that Pays their Ridiculouse Salaries. Makes you think one law for them one law for us lot. Wake up UK and tell these people its you who elects this lot not the other way round that many Politicians seem to forget."

Archived