BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goal-line Technology

The technology used in tennis (magic eye) and test matches (camera) are not compatible with goal line technology covering such a large area as the whole of a goal mouth. They need something that will detect as soon as the whole of the ball crosses the line and transmits a signal to the ref, otherwise it's pointless. chipped balls are the way to go, but as I say the one time it fails it will discredit the whole experiment. I really hope they do get something in place, then you could extend it to the whole of the touchline and maybe even players - no more linesmen as we'd all know when the attackers were offside.

Surely the width of a tennis court is a larger area than that of the goal mouth?

• 2 weeks later...
But like John McEnroe pointed out, it is also wrong 10% of the time.

Just out of interest do you know where did he got that figure from?

It's the same technology that's used for guideing missiles (to some extent) so i'd hope it's not that wrong. Otherwise there would be no point as it wouldn't be fool proof and you may as well have a camera in the goal and a guy watching the feed.

I think he actually got that figure from the WTA...

Thanks, in which case i don't see how they can use it in grand slams then. Players will challenge it and it'll fall apart. With wimbledom there were line calls where it hit a fraction of the line and that's in using hawk-eye but called out by the line judge. Anyway it's at least 2 years before it could be considered for premiership football so it gives them time to work it out.

Edit: Hawk-Eye Site, only tests but still

During ITF testing in 2006 Hawk-Eye made the correct call in 100% of all tests, showing an average error of only 3.6mm. The system recorded 100% of all rallies.

Very technical stuff

Archived