BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather traded early insults at a Los Angeles media conference to promote their world welterweight title fight.

The pair, who meet at the Las Vegas MGM Grand on 8 December, both claim they are the best pound-for-pound fighter.

Hatton stirred up the rivalry saying: "He is doing the show 'Dancing with the Stars' and that's how he's boxing."

Mayweather retorted by calling the Manchester boxer 'Vicky Fatten' and suggesting he should be a wrestler.

Hatton arrived at the media conference wearing a crown on his head, which showman Mayweather immediately snatched off.

The prize on offer in Las Vegas is Mayweather's WBC belt, and Hatton, 28, is confident he can get the job done.

"I was delighted when I won my British title, then I got more and more and the world title," said Hatton, who is unbeaten in 43 fights.

"Now, this is going to be another stage. I have the toes to do this job, and I will do this job and become the new best pound-for-pound champion in the world."

Mayweather, who is unbeaten in 38 fights, spoke straight into an impervious Hatton's face during the event, saying: "Talk to me, talk to me."

The 30-year-old American said: "You'll get a big pay cheque, and when I am done with you I'll collect more and more in the future because I am the best in the world."

Mayweather is a six-time world champion in five weight divisions, including super featherweight, lightweight, super lightweight, welterweight and super welterweight.

Hatton has also been successful across the weight divisions winning multiple world titles at light welterweight and welterweight.

The Manchester boxer enhanced his reputation as a ruthless boxer with victories over Kostya Tszyu (for the IBF light welterweight crown in 2005) and Jose Luis Castillo in 2007, when he became the first fighter to put the Mexican down.

There was bad news for Hatton fans hoping to watch him face Mayweather, as they have been allocated only 3,900 of the 17,000 tickets available.

"I am proud of this, but very sorry for all my fans, because they sent only 3,900 tickets to the UK," Hatton said.

"And 10,000 people always follow my fights and most of them won't get a ticket."

One American website is offering two ringside seats for just under $22,000 each.

But for those without the MGM will set up 50,000 seats for big-screen coverage throughout their other Las Vegas hotels

Hatton v Mayweather press conference in Manchester was pulled off air during Rickys speech due to high levels of profanity! :lol:

Whilst Hatton was talking about the fight he suddenly said "stop touching my dick you poof!" to Mayweather which resulted in SSN to take the press conference off air and will no doubt be highly edited!

Mayweather then pulled on a Man Utd shirt and doing everything to score points..

Brilliant stuff :lol:

Mayweather was very amusing in his antics, and despite his claims to the contrary it seems pretty obvious that at this stage he's gotten under Ricky's skin.

I haven't looked forward to a big fight this much in a long time, possible since Lewis-Tyson.

Brilliant stuff :lol:

Mayweather was very amusing in his antics, and despite his claims to the contrary it seems pretty obvious that at this stage he's gotten under Ricky's skin.

I haven't looked forward to a big fight this much in a long time, possible since Lewis-Tyson.

Yeah same here. It will be one great fight!

Hatton will hopefully win the fight and become the number 1 in the world. He deserves it because he's a great boxer and very entertaining and one of the lads whereas Mayweather is an arrogant so and so! I reckon Mayweather will finally meet his match and realise that he is no longer the best boxer on the planet.

Hatton v Mayweather press conference in Manchester was pulled off air during Rickys speech due to high levels of profanity! :lol:

Whilst Hatton was talking about the fight he suddenly said "stop touching my dick you poof!" to Mayweather which resulted in SSN to take the press conference off air and will no doubt be highly edited!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Calzaghe/Kessler fight from last night and what a fight.

Calzaghes boxing ability came through in the end, he was awesome, but Kessler gave more than just a few scares and it could gone either way in the early rounds.

Great fight.

Next Hatton/Mayweather

Calzaghe - Kessler did not disappoint. Great fight and Calzaghe proved again how brilliant he is. Hopkins next, hopefully.

Super fight. After Round 4 I was extremely concerned that Kessler would win, and if they were going to go on until somebody was knocked out then Calzaghe was going to come off second best. However, Joe showed a lot of heart and out-boxed Kessler. After that, there was only the final round when Kessler went for broke that I thought the Dane could win. Very entertaining, anyway.

Once Calzaghe started to use his brain he was brilliant. In the early stages he seemed more concerned about showboating and playing up to the crowd, and it nearly cost him. The sign of a true champion though - the way he changed styles and outboxed Kessler in the later rounds simply oozed class.

Just need Ricky to do the business now and it'll be a great year for British boxing. When was the last time that two British boxers could realistically claim to be in the top 5 (maybe even top 3) pound-for-pound best fighters in the world?

Watched the Calzaghe Kessler fight too.

Thought it was brilliant, a war between a hard @#/? and a master tactician, and the master tactician came out on top.

Have to add, that was the first Setanta fight ive watched and thought their coverage was complete rubbish!

Big weekend coming up.

Carl Froch vs Robin Reid should be an entertaining encounter tonight at 10pm on Sky Sports 1. Froch has an impressive record but this should be a decent test for him.

Shane Mosley is fighting Miguel Cotto on Sentanta in the early hours of Sunday morning, should be an excellent. For those who don't follow, Mosley has twice beaten Oscar De La Hoya, but is on the comeback trail after a couple of defeats to Winky Wright. Cotto is champion and undefeated - this one has fight of the year potential.

Thankfully Setanta have also picked up the Jean-Marc Mormeck - David Haye cruiserweight fight tomorrow night too. Win or lose, Haye will be moving up to Heavyweight after this one, but a win here would raise his profile and put him up amongst the contenders in his new division.

Should be good!

Archived