BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Copa America

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been done many times before. Chris Waddle did it from 35 yeards out, and didn't need a 1st touch. It's only 'amazing', 'brilliant' etc. because its the latest fanboys favourite Messi. Was skillful but not worth the tossfest it would get.

Have to disagree Billy! To get the ball up and down over the keeper from so close in, whilst running at pace, is an unbelievable skill.

Been done many times before. Chris Waddle did it from 35 yeards out, and didn't need a 1st touch. It's only 'amazing', 'brilliant' etc. because its the latest fanboys favourite Messi. Was skillful but not worth the tossfest it would get.

Rather harsh if you ask me. It was a good goal. Felling ill are we?

No one's saying it wasn't. But goals like that, or better, are scored week in, week out all over the world.

Exactly, just because it's Messi he gets all this praise. If an average english midfielder did it then i doubt it would get that much a mention and if he played for us it wouldn't make it on goal of the month either.

This isn't a bad goal! :P

No one's saying it wasn't. But goals like that, or better, are scored week in, week out all over the world.

HBG, I'm not doubting that there are better goals around, what narked me is the negative comments toward it. Now and again some comment on this board just winds me up. It happened to be this one today. There are always a few who are more than willing to think of the bad and post their abject consternation. I'm not a fan of negative thinking.

Exactly, just because it's Messi he gets all this praise. If an average english midfielder did it then i doubt it would get that much a mention and if he played for us it wouldn't make it on goal of the month either.

This isn't a bad goal! :P

An average English midfielder couldn't do that. Gerrard has the ability to do similar I'm sure, in which case people would be equally fawning.

Oh and Tugay's strike was the most amazing thing I saw all of last year.

Your right on the english midfielder bit but it was merely a reference to a midfielder generally scoring a goal wouldn't get the same credit he does. Just made me think about this player.

Goal 1, Goal 2

Great memories on this Rovers Goal, top placement and power.

So Brazil vs Messi in the final! I have a feeling Argentina will take this one, they seem to be the form team going into it. Should be great entertainment watching mind you!

So Brazil vs Messi in the final! I have a feeling Argentina will take this one, they seem to be the form team going into it. Should be great entertainment watching mind you!

Sorry for being bone idle but when is this diving.....sorry , football feast ?

hahahaha, if you think it'll be a diving fest, you've not seen those two go at it in south america. It's more like a sunday league game between two teams that hate each other, except with a high skill level. I saw their two qualifiers - in both games Argentine kicked Brazil off the park, and they won one each. Presumably with the world watching it'll be cleaner (or at least the ref will remember his whistle) but don't expect a soft game.

Edit: by their 2 qualifiers, I meant against each other, of course.

Also, that was a singularly harsh response to the Messi goal - I don't care what anyone else says, I've watched him play in La Liga and in the CL and Messi is sheer class, never getting worked up even when getting kicked around the place, and not much of a diver that I could see (I've seen him pass up penalties on at least 3 occasions when it would have been easy to go down). He's also one of the most skilful players I've seen in a long time. And that was a really, really good finish, mainly because the defender was about 5 yards in front of him. Those type of goals are scored, but they're harder than they look!

Fair enough. Scored by England was it?

No, but as Tugay's wouldn't have even been Rovers goal of the season in my opinion then I'm obviously not going to think it was the most amazing thing I saw all year.

hahahaha, if you think it'll be a diving fest, you've not seen those two go at it in south america. It's more like a sunday league game between two teams that hate each other, except with a high skill level. I saw their two qualifiers - in both games Argentine kicked Brazil off the park, and they won one each. Presumably with the world watching it'll be cleaner (or at least the ref will remember his whistle) but don't expect a soft game.

Edit: by their 2 qualifiers, I meant against each other, of course.

Also, that was a singularly harsh response to the Messi goal - I don't care what anyone else says, I've watched him play in La Liga and in the CL and Messi is sheer class, never getting worked up even when getting kicked around the place, and not much of a diver that I could see (I've seen him pass up penalties on at least 3 occasions when it would have been easy to go down). He's also one of the most skilful players I've seen in a long time. And that was a really, really good finish, mainly because the defender was about 5 yards in front of him. Those type of goals are scored, but they're harder than they look!

thanks for pointing this out, Darren. Although the pk Messi was awarded during the Colombia match was a bit dodgy, it falls mostly on the ref, as Messi didn't dive on that play--imo he went down to protect himself. Additionally, as you mentioned, during the Peru match he refused to go down during a pair of his slaloming runs. They didn't result in goals, but he stayed up and i want to believe that he shows more integrity (innocence?) that Maradona ever did.

I am not in the throes of a man crush here (before anyone makes that point)... the kid is good, but i wish that alll the stupid marketing would cease so he can grow up w/ a semblence of a normal sized head....

cheers.

BTW: this will be a heliacious match.. not one argentine has forgotten adriano's star turn a few years ago--so it should make for a nice match. I"m not sitting here predicting another 4 nil, but lemme tell you: a victory will result in me finally openining that 15 yr. old bottle of The Balvenie that I've been keeping for an Argentine victory since France '98, Japan '02 and Germany '06. I know this tournament isn't a WC... but I'm getting itchy for that bottle ! :rolleyes:

Just watchng the Argentina vs Peru game on sky now and the commentators suggest that USA will not be invited back to the Copa America next time round due to their 'lack of respect' for the tournament.

[/quote

God bless America,no respect for anything or anyone.

I've heard this Mr. Mo... but would COMEBOL or whatever they're called cut their nose off to spite their face?

The only reason anyone cares about America is b/c the almighty $$...it was the rationale behind the original invitation

a dozen years ago and I can't see that changing despite all the 'angry talk' we're hearing a present.

Besides, the team the US brought should surprise no-one. Less than 2 weeks after our own continental tournament, in the middle fo the domestic season, which didn't take a break. The media has talked abotu the young brgade we were bringing for months.

IMHO, its simply a case of the USA being the easy target that everyone else in the rest of the footballing world wants and loves to take a shot at. I mean, Look at that Mr. Maureen comment above, to summarize, "lets use football as a means to slag off an entire nation just because we can. Forget that its lazy and innacurate, but who cares, its America."

No, but as Tugay's wouldn't have even been Rovers goal of the season in my opinion then I'm obviously not going to think it was the most amazing thing I saw all year.

Of course.

The final should be good. The Argentines have been playing their usual brand of beautiful, ruthless football while Brazil is, well, Brazil. I'd rather watch this game with a bit of diving than anything churned out by some of Europe's more agrarian footballing nations.

As an aside I watched some of Argentina's under-20 World Cup match against Poland last night. My goodness the Argies have some fabulous footballers, the standouts being Atletico Madrid's Sergio Aguero and Boca's Ever Banega.

Archived