BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Maceo Rigters

Like Gally, who couldn't hold onto the ball in midfield if his life depended on it.

From what I read our new signing hates playing on the wing and that is one of the reasons he wanted to leave his old club. Have faith people thought that Samba was a risk. I have faith in MH eye for players.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I read our new signing hates playing on the wing and that is one of the reasons he wanted to leave his old club. Have faith people thought that Samba was a risk. I have faith in MH eye for players.

So, if he was such a great CF, why was he playing wide?

Not only that, but if he's so damned slow, why's he playing right wing eh?

I am sure they had good reason for it and if there other right winger was a lumbering donkey he would seem like a better choice. I am just hoping for the best here with our tack record in the transfer market and do not want to be known as his defence team. ;)

Was I the only person (apart from Sparky) watching the Dutch team in the UEFA u-21s. Rigters was a right pain for all the oppositions and a much more complete player than Ajax's much-hyped Ryan Babel. He has enough pace which combined with his strength and ball control and excellent mobility and awareness always posed a threat when he was on the ball. Was consistently in the games and worked back when posession was lost. He picked out some good passes too. Second best player for the Dutch after Royston Drenthe in my opinion.

Maceo certainly looked the real deal as a forward at the u-21 level irrespective of what Breda was doing with him in the Dutch League. Reminiscent of Bert perhaps who turned out not to be a winger either?

I think this is an excellent signing and I will repeat my hunch that Jason Roberts will be leaving. Rovers will have four frontline forwards comprising McCarthy, Bellamy, Rigters and Derbyshire- quite an enticing prospect.

So, if he was such a great CF, why was he playing wide?

I'm from Holland so I know the ins and outs.

In Holland we dont play 4-4-2 like you do in England but we play 4-3-3 so there is only one spot for CF. Nac had Leonardo as their main striker for the first half of the season. Leonardo is a fantastic players and was sold during the winter break to ajax.

Maceo wasnt great at left wing but he was better than the rest of the bunch so the manager decided to stick with him there. Leonardo's replacement Glen Salmon started banging in goals as well (15 games , 8 goals) so Rigters wasnt really given a fair crack in the striker position.

He amazed us all with his performances at the Euro U21. He himself wasnt even expecting to be in the starting line-up and was happy to be in the squad. He did really well alongside Ryan Babel and you know the rest (Golden boot etc..) He decided to leave Nac because they bought another striker (Matthew Amoah) and wasnt going to play another year on the flank.

Here are a all of his goals at the Euro tournament.

(The 3-0 in the final)

(2-0 against Portugal)

(The Brilliant bycicle kick against England in the final minute)

(Goal against Belgium)

I'm not especially happy with this signing. This means one of two things in my mind: 1) We won't be signing another striker, which will be a huge error in my mind. We need a top quality striker to progress. Or 2) Either Roberts or McCarthy will be leaving which, again, will be a huge shame.

I'll certainly support him and am hopeful that it will be another smart bit of business from Hughes.

But you'd be happy with £6m for Smith? (I apologise if it was actually Tyrone Shoelaces who is really eager to sign that donkey).

Typical of you lot. He's not even had a training session and some of you p_ss and moan about it. I bet he'd be making you look like muppets this time next year. As for whether Roberts/Benni would leave and Rigters will take his place, I don't know. Maybe we'll use the full battery of Benni/Roberts/Derbyshire/Rigters over the course of the season, since we have Intertoto and probably UEFA Cup games to play on top of the domestic season. Gallagher might feel put out, as he will probably get even less of a run now, and might leave. Still, the £350,00-400,000 fee quoted hasn't blown our budget.

tcj

I dont know, it might be a Jeffers, Nonda replacement, in which case all good.

I just cannot see any of Derbyshire, Roberts, McCarthy and, especially, Rigters being fifth choice striker at Ewood. I doubt the promise of 5-10 appearances a season was what attracted Rigters to Blackburn.

But you'd be happy with £6m for Smith? (I apologise if it was actually Tyrone Shoelaces who is really eager to sign that donkey).

Typical of you lot. He's not even had a training session and some of you p_ss and moan about it. I bet he'd be making you look like muppets this time next year. As for whether Roberts/Benni would leave and Rigters will take his place, I don't know. Maybe we'll use the full battery of Benni/Roberts/Derbyshire/Rigters over the course of the season, since we have Intertoto and probably UEFA Cup games to play on top of the domestic season. Gallagher might feel put out, as he will probably get even less of a run now, and might leave. Still, the £350,00-400,000 fee quoted hasn't blown our budget.

Were you referring to me when talking of Smith Billy? Smith is a top quality player, I don't know why people can't see that. £6 million for Kamara, Nugent or Smith? I know who I'd pick.

Also, for the record, I said I was hopeful that he will do well for us and that he certainly has my full support.

Why would Hughes change last season's plan? That was to run with five strikers who could paly 1st team football, so Rigters arrival probably means bye-bye Jeffers and Nonda.

We'll get a bigger fee for Jeffers than was paid for Rigters and Nonda isn't top of most Rovers fans buying lists, but he might still be kept on. Never could read Sparky but like all great magicians he keeps pulling rabbits out of hats and you never see it coming. Samba, Nelsen - I rest my case.

Better to see a player arriving anyway rather than leaving. He's going to have to scrap to get a place.

Sorry TCJ, I just don't see it with Smith. He's done naff all at Leeds, done naff all at Man Utd, and I doubt he has scored more than 15 league goals in a season wherever he's been. He's just another Iain Dowie/Kevin Davies/Nathan Blake target man who beats up defenders. Personally, I reckon £3m would be a fair price for him. I agree about Kamara and Nugent though, I wouldn't lob £6m in that direction either. Rigters could prove to be another brilliant bargain.

And TCJ you were optimistic and positive about Rigters. I probably made it look like I was saying you were one of the moaners when you were not. I blame my lack of linguistic skills for that confusion.

Haha, no worries Billy. Probably a mix of me misinterpreting your post.

Each to their own with Smith. He isn't a prolific striker, but I really think he is a good all round player that a more prolific goal scorer can play off.

Good signing with plenty of potential and scope for improvement if he's a replacement for the outgoing Jeffers and/orNonda.

If he's a replacement because Roberts is off somewhere else, not sure if he'd be as effective immediately but again has a lot more long term potential.

Disappointing if he's the main signing up front this close season as opposed to signing someone like Bellamy.

Nevertheless good luck and all best wishes to the lad and I hope he has a long and successful career at Ewood. :tu::rover:

Haha, no worries Billy. Probably a mix of me misinterpreting your post.

Each to their own with Smith. He isn't a prolific striker, but I really think he is a good all round player that a more prolific goal scorer can play off.

I like smith too. i like a good hard player who isnt afraid to rough up the opposition and is passionate for whoever he plays for, i think its ashame there aint more players like that about. i dont think hes worth 6 million, but because hes at united they will get it

I watched most of the European Under-21 Championship matches and Rigters is big, raw, athletic and has immense potential. I'm amazed Rovers have got him.

The caveat of course is that he is being signed as a replacement for the departing McCarthy or Roberts, or both.

Archived